Franklin County, North Carolina Genealogy

From FamilySearch Wiki

(Difference between revisions)
(cemeteries added)
(added cemeteries)
Line 17: Line 17:
 
== County Courthouse  ==
 
== County Courthouse  ==
  
Franklin County was formed in 1779 and, in the same year, the town of Louisburg was surveyed by William Christmas on land which had been purchased from Patewells & Jacobina Milner for that purpose. That deed from the Milners survives today in the first volume of county deeds. The county's first commissioners were William Brickell, William Green, William Hill, John Hunt, and Osborn Jeffreys and these men were charged with many tasks, the earliest of which were to build a courthouse and a jail. The first meeting of the men was the Franklin Court of Pleas and Quarter-Sessions of 1779 and it was held at the home of Benjamin Seawell. It is unfortunate that none of the records from those earliest days of Franklin county survive.
+
Franklin County was formed in 1779 and, in the same year, the town of Louisburg was surveyed by William Christmas on land which had been purchased from Patewells & Jacobina Milner for that purpose. That deed from the Milners survives today in the first volume of county deeds. The county's first commissioners were William Brickell, William Green, William Hill, John Hunt, and Osborn Jeffreys and these men were charged with many tasks, the earliest of which were to build a courthouse and a jail. The first meeting of the men was the Franklin Court of Pleas and Quarter-Sessions of 1779 and it was held at the home of Benjamin Seawell. It is unfortunate that none of the records from those earliest days of Franklin county survive.  
  
The first county courthouse was a log building erected circa 1781 either on or very near the current county courthouse location on Main Street between Court and Nash Streets. The log courthouse was replaced with a structure of brick and stone in 1849. The 1849 courthouse was completely remodeled in 1936 and again in 1968 when it was also enlarged.
+
The first county courthouse was a log building erected circa 1781 either on or very near the current county courthouse location on Main Street between Court and Nash Streets. The log courthouse was replaced with a structure of brick and stone in 1849. The 1849 courthouse was completely remodeled in 1936 and again in 1968 when it was also enlarged.  
  
The first jail was built close to the original courthouse and during the same timeframe, but it was destroyed by fire in 1872. It was replaced with a stone building which still stands, though now abandoned, on the south side of Nash Street about one-and-a-half blocks east of Main Street. The new Franklin County Jail &amp; Sheriff's Department Complex was built in 1994 and is located west of downtown Louisburg on T. Kemp Road.<br>
+
The first jail was built close to the original courthouse and during the same timeframe, but it was destroyed by fire in 1872. It was replaced with a stone building which still stands, though now abandoned, on the south side of Nash Street about one-and-a-half blocks east of Main Street. The new Franklin County Jail &amp; Sheriff's Department Complex was built in 1994 and is located west of downtown Louisburg on T. Kemp Road.<br>  
  
 
== History  ==
 
== History  ==
  
Franklin county was formed in 1779 from the southern half of Bute County in the midst of the American Revolution and was named in honor of Benjamin Franklin who had recently negotiated an alliance and secured loan agreements with France that would eventually help to win America's independence. The abolishment of Bute County came at the urging of area resident and strong political activist, Benjamin Seawell, who introduced a bill to separate from the county which had been named after the Earl of Bute. Seawell had also been among those selected to represent the county at the Halifax Congress of April 1776. Fellow representatives of Bute at that meeting included Green Hill, William Alston, Thomas Sherrod, Thomas Eaton, Benjamin Person, Benjamin Word, and Philemon Hawkins. The act establishing the county authorized that the first court be held at the home of Benjamin Seawell and it was left to the justices to determine where subsequent courts were to be held until a courthouse could be erected - a goal that was finally met in 1781 with the construction of a log courthouse.
+
Franklin county was formed in 1779 from the southern half of Bute County in the midst of the American Revolution and was named in honor of Benjamin Franklin who had recently negotiated an alliance and secured loan agreements with France that would eventually help to win America's independence. The abolishment of Bute County came at the urging of area resident and strong political activist, Benjamin Seawell, who introduced a bill to separate from the county which had been named after the Earl of Bute. Seawell had also been among those selected to represent the county at the Halifax Congress of April 1776. Fellow representatives of Bute at that meeting included Green Hill, William Alston, Thomas Sherrod, Thomas Eaton, Benjamin Person, Benjamin Word, and Philemon Hawkins. The act establishing the county authorized that the first court be held at the home of Benjamin Seawell and it was left to the justices to determine where subsequent courts were to be held until a courthouse could be erected - a goal that was finally met in 1781 with the construction of a log courthouse.  
  
Louisburg, the county seat, was also chartered in 1779 and is believed to have been named for King Louis XVI of France who was a strong American ally. There is disagreement among historians as to when the town was first named, with estimates ranging from as early as 1758, though historians generally agree that the name of the town was originally spelled "Lewisburg". Once the charter had been established, 100 acres of land were purchased from Patewells &amp; Jacobina Milner for the platting of the new county seat. The initial survey for the town was performed by William Christmas who was also responsible for the layout of Raleigh, North Carolina. Louisburg remained the only town in the county until after the Revolutionary War.
+
Louisburg, the county seat, was also chartered in 1779 and is believed to have been named for King Louis XVI of France who was a strong American ally. There is disagreement among historians as to when the town was first named, with estimates ranging from as early as 1758, though historians generally agree that the name of the town was originally spelled "Lewisburg". Once the charter had been established, 100 acres of land were purchased from Patewells &amp; Jacobina Milner for the platting of the new county seat. The initial survey for the town was performed by William Christmas who was also responsible for the layout of Raleigh, North Carolina. Louisburg remained the only town in the county until after the Revolutionary War.  
  
 
Situated in the northeastern section of the State, Franklin county is bounded by Nash, Wake, Granville, Vance, and Warren counties. The present land area is 492.02 square miles and the population has grown from roughly 7,500 at the dawn of the 19th century to 47,260 in the year 2000. The soil is fertile and, in some areas, chock-full of granite. Originally a community focused primarily on agriculture and livestock and boasting 3,367 farms covering 267,530 acres in the year 1900, today Franklin County is home to 574 farms encompassing 128,412 total acres. The county is now focused on broadening her economic base through encouragement of real estate development and much attention is now given to enticing large corporations to bring their operations to the county.  
 
Situated in the northeastern section of the State, Franklin county is bounded by Nash, Wake, Granville, Vance, and Warren counties. The present land area is 492.02 square miles and the population has grown from roughly 7,500 at the dawn of the 19th century to 47,260 in the year 2000. The soil is fertile and, in some areas, chock-full of granite. Originally a community focused primarily on agriculture and livestock and boasting 3,367 farms covering 267,530 acres in the year 1900, today Franklin County is home to 574 farms encompassing 128,412 total acres. The county is now focused on broadening her economic base through encouragement of real estate development and much attention is now given to enticing large corporations to bring their operations to the county.  
Line 33: Line 33:
 
==== Parent County  ====
 
==== Parent County  ====
  
'''1778'''--Franklin County was&nbsp;created 14 April 1778&nbsp;from Bute County when it was divided to also create Warren County.&nbsp; Bute County was abolished in 1779.<br>'''County seat''': Louisburg <ref name="Handybook">''The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America'',10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).</ref>
+
'''1778'''--Franklin County was&nbsp;created 14 April 1778&nbsp;from Bute County when it was divided to also create Warren County.&nbsp; Bute County was abolished in 1779.<br>'''County seat''': Louisburg <ref name="Handybook">''The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America'',10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).</ref>  
  
 
==== Boundary Changes  ====
 
==== Boundary Changes  ====
Line 39: Line 39:
 
==== Record Loss  ====
 
==== Record Loss  ====
  
Franklin County has had no appreciable loss of records.
+
Franklin County has had no appreciable loss of records.  
  
 
== Places/Localities  ==
 
== Places/Localities  ==
Line 59: Line 59:
 
'''Cemeteries'''  
 
'''Cemeteries'''  
  
*[http://www.ncgenweb.us/franklin/cemetery/perry-ac-cem.html Allen C. Perry Cemetery]
+
*[http://www.ncgenweb.us/franklin/cemetery/perry-ac-cem.html Allen C. Perry Cemetery]  
*[http://www.ncgenweb.us/franklin/cemetery/alford-cem.html B. M. Alford Cemetery]
+
*[http://www.ncgenweb.us/franklin/cemetery/alford-cem.html B. M. Alford Cemetery]  
*[http://files.usgwarchives.net/nc/franklin/cemeteries/bethbapt.txt Bethlehem Baptist Church Cemetery]
+
*[http://files.usgwarchives.net/nc/franklin/cemeteries/bethbapt.txt Bethlehem Baptist Church Cemetery]  
*[http://www.ncgenweb.us/franklin/cemetery/lewis-cem.html Bryant Wesley Lewis Cemetery]
+
*[http://www.ncgenweb.us/franklin/cemetery/lewis-cem.html Bryant Wesley Lewis Cemetery]  
*[http://www.ncgenweb.us/franklin/cemetery/bullock-cem.html Bullock Cemetery]
+
*[http://www.ncgenweb.us/franklin/cemetery/bullock-cem.html Bullock Cemetery]  
*[http://www.ncgenweb.us/franklin/cemetery/bunn-cem.html Bunn Cemetery]
+
*[http://www.ncgenweb.us/franklin/cemetery/bunn-cem.html Bunn Cemetery]  
*[http://www.ncgenweb.us/franklin/cemetery/bunn-upchurch-cem.html Bunn-Upchurch Cemetery]
+
*[http://www.ncgenweb.us/franklin/cemetery/bunn-upchurch-cem.html Bunn-Upchurch Cemetery]
*[http://www.ncgenweb.us/franklin/cemetery/cyprus-cem.html Cyprus Chapel Baptist Church Cemetery]
+
*[http://files.usgwarchives.net/nc/franklin/cemeteries/calhbunn.txt Cal H. Bunn Cemetery]
*[http://www.ncgenweb.us/franklin/cemetery/hayes-cem.html Hayes/Wheless Cemetery]
+
*[http://files.usgwarchives.net/nc/franklin/cemeteries/carter01.txt Joe Carter Cemetery]
*[http://www.ncgenweb.us/franklin/cemetery/haywood%20baptist.html Haywood Baptist Church Cemetery]
+
*[http://files.usgwarchives.net/nc/franklin/cemeteries/cascne01.txt Cascine Cemetery]  
*[http://www.ncgenweb.us/franklin/cemetery/hilliard-cem.html Hilliard Richardson Cemetery]
+
*[http://www.ncgenweb.us/franklin/cemetery/cyprus-cem.html Cyprus Chapel Baptist Church Cemetery]
*[http://www.ncgenweb.us/franklin/cemetery/jw_sledge-cem.html J. W. Sledge Cemetery]
+
*[http://files.usgwarchives.net/nc/franklin/cemeteries/denton01.txt Denton Family Cemetery]
*[http://www.ncgenweb.us/franklin/cemetery/joyner-cem.html Joyner Family Cemetery]
+
*[http://files.usgwarchives.net/nc/franklin/cemeteries/dodd01.txt Dodd Family Cemetery]
*[http://www.ncgenweb.us/franklin/cemetery/louisburg-city-cem.html Louisburg City Cemetery]
+
*[http://files.usgwarchives.net/nc/franklin/cemeteries/dukememo.txt Duke Memorial Baptist Church Cemetery]
*[http://www.ncgenweb.us/franklin/cemetery/jeans-cem.html Medlin-Jeans Cemetery]
+
*[http://files.usgwarchives.net/nc/franklin/cemeteries/fairvw01.txt Fairview Cemetery]  
*[http://www.ncgenweb.us/franklin/cemetery/greene-cem.html Nathaniel Greene Cemetery]
+
*[http://www.ncgenweb.us/franklin/cemetery/hayes-cem.html Hayes/Wheless Cemetery]  
*[http://www.ncgenweb.us/franklin/cemetery/oakwood.html Oakwood Cemetery]
+
*[http://www.ncgenweb.us/franklin/cemetery/haywood%20baptist.html Haywood Baptist Church Cemetery]  
*[http://www.ncgenweb.us/franklin/cemetery/patton-cem.html Patton Cemetery]
+
*[http://www.ncgenweb.us/franklin/cemetery/hilliard-cem.html Hilliard Richardson Cemetery]  
*[http://www.ncgenweb.us/franklin/cemetery/perry-cem.html Perry's Chapel Church Cemetery]
+
*[http://www.ncgenweb.us/franklin/cemetery/jw_sledge-cem.html J. W. Sledge Cemetery]  
 +
*[http://www.ncgenweb.us/franklin/cemetery/joyner-cem.html Joyner Family Cemetery]
 +
*[http://files.usgwarchives.net/nc/franklin/cemeteries/leahsumc.txt Leah's Chapel United Methodist Church Cemetery]  
 +
*[http://www.ncgenweb.us/franklin/cemetery/louisburg-city-cem.html Louisburg City Cemetery]
 +
*[http://files.usgwarchives.net/nc/franklin/cemeteries/maplespg.txt Maple Springs Baptist Church Cemetery]  
 +
*[http://www.ncgenweb.us/franklin/cemetery/jeans-cem.html Medlin-Jeans Cemetery]
 +
*[http://files.usgwarchives.net/nc/franklin/cemeteries/medlin01.txt Albert B. Medlin Family Cemetery]
 +
*[http://files.usgwarchives.net/nc/franklin/cemeteries/medlin02.txt Jim Medlin Cemetery]  
 +
*[http://www.ncgenweb.us/franklin/cemetery/greene-cem.html Nathaniel Greene Cemetery]  
 +
*[http://www.ncgenweb.us/franklin/cemetery/oakwood.html Oakwood Cemetery]  
 +
*[http://www.ncgenweb.us/franklin/cemetery/patton-cem.html Patton Cemetery]
 +
*[http://files.usgwarchives.net/nc/franklin/cemeteries/pearce01.txt Pearce Baptist Church Cemetery]  
 +
*[http://www.ncgenweb.us/franklin/cemetery/perry-cem.html Perry's Chapel Church Cemetery]
 +
*[http://www.ncgenweb.us/franklin/cemetery/person-cem.html Person Family Cemetery]
 +
*[http://www.ncgenweb.us/franklin/cemetery/pilot-cem.html Pilot Baptist Church Cemetery]
 +
*[http://www.ncgenweb.us/franklin/cemetery/pineridge-cem.html Pine Ridge Baptist Church Cemetery]
 +
*[http://www.ncgenweb.us/franklin/cemetery/ray-cem.html Robert Ray Cemetery]
 +
*[http://files.usgwarchives.net/nc/franklin/cemeteries/roberts1.txt Roberts Cemetery]
 +
*[http://files.usgwarchives.net/nc/franklin/cemeteries/rockspng.txt Rock Springs Baptist Church Cemetery]
 +
*[http://www.ncgenweb.us/franklin/cemetery/massey-cem.html Ruffin R. Massey Cemetery]
 +
*[http://www.ncgenweb.us/franklin/cemetery/richards-cem.html Sidney Richards Cemetery]
 +
*[http://www.ncgenweb.us/franklin/cemetery/sledge-cem.html Sledge Cemetery]
 +
*[http://www.ncgenweb.us/franklin/cemetery/Stallings-cem.html Stallings Cemetery]
 +
*[http://files.usgwarchives.net/nc/franklin/cemeteries/stalling2.txt Mack Stallings Cemetery]
 +
*[http://files.usgwarchives.net/nc/franklin/cemeteries/watkns01.txt Watkins Family Cemetery]
 +
*[http://www.ncgenweb.us/franklin/cemetery/weathersbybunn-cem.html Weathersby/Bunn Cemetery]
 +
*[http://files.usgwarchives.net/nc/franklin/cemeteries/wlmbrnt.txt Williams &amp; Brantley Family Cemetery]
 +
*[http://www.ncgenweb.us/franklin/cemetery/griffin-cem.html Willie O. Griffin Cemetery]  
 
*[http://cemeterycensus.com/nc/fran/index.htm <u>Cemetery Census-Franklin County</u>]  
 
*[http://cemeterycensus.com/nc/fran/index.htm <u>Cemetery Census-Franklin County</u>]  
 
*[http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=csr&CScn=&CScntry=4&CSst=29&CScnty=1685 <u>Find-A-Grave</u>]
 
*[http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=csr&CScn=&CScntry=4&CSst=29&CScnty=1685 <u>Find-A-Grave</u>]
Line 84: Line 111:
  
 
==== Court  ====
 
==== Court  ====
 +
 +
*[http://www.ncgenweb.us/franklin/court/murphy-h-1822.html Holland Murphy Petition-1822]
 +
*[http://www.ncgenweb.us/franklin/court/minutes-1786-1787.html Extract of Minutes: 1786-1787]
 +
*[http://www.ncgenweb.us/franklin/court/minutes-1788-1790.html Extract of Minutes: 1788-1790]
 +
*[http://www.ncgenweb.us/franklin/court/minutes-1791-1800.html Extract of Minutes: 1791-1800]
 +
*[http://www.ncgenweb.us/franklin/court/minutes-1801-1805.html Extract of Minutes: 1801-1805]
 +
*[http://www.ncgenweb.us/franklin/court/minutes-1806-1807.html Extract of Minutes: 1806-1807]
 +
*[http://www.ncgenweb.us/franklin/court/minutes-1808-1810.html Extract of Minutes: 1808-1810]
 +
*[http://www.ncgenweb.us/franklin/court/minutes-1811-1813.html Extract of Minutes: 1811-1813]
 +
*[http://www.ncgenweb.us/franklin/court/minutes-1814-1815.html Extract of Minutes: 1814-1815]
 +
*[http://www.ncgenweb.us/franklin/court/minutes-1816-1817.html Extract of Minutes: 1816-1817]
 +
*[http://www.ncgenweb.us/franklin/court/minutes-1818-1820.html Extract of Minutes: 1818-1820]
 +
*[http://www.ncgenweb.us/franklin/court/minutes-1821.html Extract of Minutes: 1821]
 +
*[http://www.ncgenweb.us/franklin/court/minutes-1822.html Extract of Minutes: 1822]
 +
*[http://www.ncgenweb.us/franklin/court/minutes-1823.html Extract of Minutes: 1823]
 +
*[http://www.ncgenweb.us/franklin/court/minutes-1824-28.html Extract of Minutes: 1824&nbsp;&amp; 1828]
 +
*[http://www.ncgenweb.us/franklin/court/minutes-1829.html Extract of Minutes:&nbsp; 1829]
 +
*[http://www.ncgenweb.us/franklin/court/minutes-1831-1833.html Extract of Minutes: 1831-1833]
 +
*[http://www.ncgenweb.us/franklin/court/minutes-1834-1837.html Extract of Minutes: 1834-1837]
 +
*[http://www.ncgenweb.us/franklin/court/minutes-1838-1839.html Extract of Minutes: 1838-1839]
 +
*[http://www.ncgenweb.us/franklin/court/minutes-1840.html Extract of Minutes: 1840]
 +
 +
<br>
  
 
==== Land  ====
 
==== Land  ====

Revision as of 04:08, 26 December 2010


Franklin County, North Carolina
Map
Map of North Carolina highlighting Franklin County
Location in the state of North Carolina
Map of the U.S. highlighting North Carolina
Location of North Carolina in the U.S.
Facts
Founded April 14, 1778
County Seat Louisburg
Courthouse
Adopt-a-wiki page
Logonew small.gif This page adopted by:
NCGenWeb Project
who welcome you to contribute.
County Coordinator
Franklin Co. NCGenWeb
Adopt a page today

United States  Gotoarrow.png  North Carolina  Gotoarrow.png  Franklin County

Contents

County Courthouse

Franklin County was formed in 1779 and, in the same year, the town of Louisburg was surveyed by William Christmas on land which had been purchased from Patewells & Jacobina Milner for that purpose. That deed from the Milners survives today in the first volume of county deeds. The county's first commissioners were William Brickell, William Green, William Hill, John Hunt, and Osborn Jeffreys and these men were charged with many tasks, the earliest of which were to build a courthouse and a jail. The first meeting of the men was the Franklin Court of Pleas and Quarter-Sessions of 1779 and it was held at the home of Benjamin Seawell. It is unfortunate that none of the records from those earliest days of Franklin county survive.

The first county courthouse was a log building erected circa 1781 either on or very near the current county courthouse location on Main Street between Court and Nash Streets. The log courthouse was replaced with a structure of brick and stone in 1849. The 1849 courthouse was completely remodeled in 1936 and again in 1968 when it was also enlarged.

The first jail was built close to the original courthouse and during the same timeframe, but it was destroyed by fire in 1872. It was replaced with a stone building which still stands, though now abandoned, on the south side of Nash Street about one-and-a-half blocks east of Main Street. The new Franklin County Jail & Sheriff's Department Complex was built in 1994 and is located west of downtown Louisburg on T. Kemp Road.

History

Franklin county was formed in 1779 from the southern half of Bute County in the midst of the American Revolution and was named in honor of Benjamin Franklin who had recently negotiated an alliance and secured loan agreements with France that would eventually help to win America's independence. The abolishment of Bute County came at the urging of area resident and strong political activist, Benjamin Seawell, who introduced a bill to separate from the county which had been named after the Earl of Bute. Seawell had also been among those selected to represent the county at the Halifax Congress of April 1776. Fellow representatives of Bute at that meeting included Green Hill, William Alston, Thomas Sherrod, Thomas Eaton, Benjamin Person, Benjamin Word, and Philemon Hawkins. The act establishing the county authorized that the first court be held at the home of Benjamin Seawell and it was left to the justices to determine where subsequent courts were to be held until a courthouse could be erected - a goal that was finally met in 1781 with the construction of a log courthouse.

Louisburg, the county seat, was also chartered in 1779 and is believed to have been named for King Louis XVI of France who was a strong American ally. There is disagreement among historians as to when the town was first named, with estimates ranging from as early as 1758, though historians generally agree that the name of the town was originally spelled "Lewisburg". Once the charter had been established, 100 acres of land were purchased from Patewells & Jacobina Milner for the platting of the new county seat. The initial survey for the town was performed by William Christmas who was also responsible for the layout of Raleigh, North Carolina. Louisburg remained the only town in the county until after the Revolutionary War.

Situated in the northeastern section of the State, Franklin county is bounded by Nash, Wake, Granville, Vance, and Warren counties. The present land area is 492.02 square miles and the population has grown from roughly 7,500 at the dawn of the 19th century to 47,260 in the year 2000. The soil is fertile and, in some areas, chock-full of granite. Originally a community focused primarily on agriculture and livestock and boasting 3,367 farms covering 267,530 acres in the year 1900, today Franklin County is home to 574 farms encompassing 128,412 total acres. The county is now focused on broadening her economic base through encouragement of real estate development and much attention is now given to enticing large corporations to bring their operations to the county.

Parent County

1778--Franklin County was created 14 April 1778 from Bute County when it was divided to also create Warren County.  Bute County was abolished in 1779.
County seat: Louisburg [1]

Boundary Changes

Record Loss

Franklin County has had no appreciable loss of records.

Places/Localities

Populated Places

Neighboring Counties

Resources

Cemeteries

Church

Court


Land

Local Histories

Maps

Military

Newspapers

Probate

Taxation

Vital Records

Yearbooks

Societies and Libraries 

Web Sites

References

  1. The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).