French and Indian War, 1754-1763Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
One of the Colonial Wars
The French and Indian War was fought mainly between England and France and involved their colonies. In Europe, the French and Indian War was called the Seven Years War.
- For more information, see:
US History.com = www.u-s-history.com/pages/h608.html
- Lydon, James G. Struggle For Empire: A Bibliography of the French and Indian War. New York, New York: Garland Publishing, 1986. (FHL book 973 M23b, vol. 7.) This book is arranged by topics and is a bibliography with brief annotations of books and articles relating to the French and Indian War.
INFORMATION FROM:Family History Library US/Canada Consultants, "French and Indian War, History and Maps" inLAD Release 4.1, Family History Library, 2004, mjm.
Events during the French & Indian War
US History.com = www.u-s-history.com/pages/h1180.html
The following have maps about the French and Indian War:
• 1754-1756 = www.u-s-history.com/pages/h781.html
• 1756-1758 = www.u-s-history.com/pages/h782.html
• 1758-1763 = www.u-s-history.com/pages/h783.html
During the French and Indian War, many colonists served in local militias. Because these were local units and not part of the British Army, any surviving records are in historical societies and state libraries and archives.
The best indexes and records are by state, county or town rather than by country. To find them:
• Do a Place Search for the state in the Family History Library Catalog.
• On the Topic List, click on Military - French and Indian War.
For additional records, try a Place Search for the county or town also.
A book for information on military land grants awarded to veterans of the French and Indian War is:
Taylor, Phillip Fall. Calendar of Warrants For Land in Kentucky, Granted for Service in the French and Indian War.Baltimore,Maryland: Clearfield, 1995. FHL US/CAN book 976.9 R21t 2001.