French and Indian War, 1754-1763Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The French and Indian War was fought mainly between Great Britain and France and involved their colonies. In Europe, the French and Indian War was called the Seven Years War.
- 13 colonies (British)
- French colonies
- New Brunswick
- Nova Scotia
- Great Britain
General Society of Colonial Wars
The General Society of Colonial Wars was established in 1893. Membership in the society requires that the member be a male at least 18 years of age and be able to show direct lineage to an ancestor who served in the Colonial Wars. See General Society of Colonial Wars for more information on the society and its records.
During the French and Indian War, many colonists served in local militias. Because these were local units and not part of the British Army, any surviving records are in historical societies and state libraries and archives.
The best indexes and records are by state, county or town rather than by country. To find them:
- Do a Place Search for the state in the Family History Library Catalog.
- On the Topic List, click on Military - French and Indian War.
- For additional records, try a Place Search for the county or town also.
A book for information on military land grants awarded to veterans of the French and Indian War is:
- "Calendar of Warrants For Land in Kentucky, Granted for Service in the French and Indian War" (FHL 976.9 R21t 2001)
- "Struggle For Empire: A Bibliography of the French and Indian War" (FHL book 973 M23b, vol. 7) by James G Lydon. This book is arranged by topics and is a bibliography with brief annotations of books and articles relating to the French and Indian War.
The following have maps about the French and Indian War:
- Family History Library US/Canada Consultants, "French and Indian War, History and Maps" inLAD Release 4.1, Family History Library, 2004, mjm.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News