Fritton, SuffolkEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Fritton St Edmund is an Ancient parish in the Lothingland deanery of the Diocese of Norwich and the historical county of Suffolk. Following 1974 local government boundary changes the parish became part of the county of Norfolk.
It is not to be confused with Fritton St Catherine, Norfolk and the change of county can also confuse researchers.
A Norman round tower church with thatched roof and surviving wall painting (see web sites below)
If you live in Suffolk you will have access to a variety of resources at local archives and libraries. For those who live further afield, one can access microfilm and online records at LDS Family History Centres. Refer to Fritton and Suffolk in the Family History Library Catalogue for available records.
- Mutford 1837-1935
- Lothingland 1935-1974
- Waveney St Margaret's House
NR32 1JQTelephone: 01502 405096
Fax: 01502 508170
Registers for the parish are deposited at Norfolk Record Office reference PD 84.
The images for Fritton St Catherine, Norfolk which are displayed in historic records (formerly Record Search) include one marriage register for this parish 1838-1901 53 images
a. Census records from 1841-1891 are available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 47440. To view these census images online, they are available through the following websites for a fee ($) or free:
- FamilySearch has some of the British Censuses available.
- FindMyPast ($) has all available census records including images, and is free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and some public and academic libraries.
- Ancestry.co.uk ($) has now all available census records but free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and at numerous public and academic libraries. The library versions are known as AncestryInstitution.com.
- The Genealogist.co.uk ($) has all available censuses and is free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and various other libraries.
- FreeCen is a UK census searches. It is not complete and individuals are always asked to consider helping out with transcriptions.
Poor Law Unions
Mutford and Launditch http://www.institutions.org.uk/workhouses/england/suffolk/mutford_workhouse.htm
http://www.achurchnearyou.com/fritton-st-edmund/ for information about the parish
http://www.paintedchurch.org/frited.htm Church Painting
http://www.roundtowers.org.uk/toptwenty.html Top Twenty Round Tower churches website
http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en-227767-church-of-st-edmund-fritton-and-st-olave British listed building
http://www.norfolkchurches.co.uk/frittonedmund/frittonedmund.htm Norfolk Churches website images of church and explanation of county boundary change
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1918774 for images of the church
http://www.kent.ac.uk/library/specialcollections/mills/r.php/22719/show.html for 1911 image of the church
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More