Garza County, Texas GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Garza County, Texas|
Location in the state of Texas
Location of Texas in the U.S.
|Founded||August 21, 1876|
County CourthouseGarza County Courthouse
1st Floor, 300 West Main Street,
PO Box 366
Post, TX 79356
County Clerk has birth, marriage, death, divorce, probate and court records from 1907 and land records
Garza county has had two courthouses. The first courthouse, built in 1908, was designed to be a temporary courthouse. It served the county for 15 years. The current courthouse, shown at right, a three-story red brick and concrete structure was built in 1923 and is a Recorded Texas Landmark.
1876--Garza County was created 21 August 1876 from Bexar Land District, but the county was not organized until 15 Jun 1907. County seat: Post 
Places / Localities
Post | Justiceburg | Southland
- Texas African American Griots ~ USGenWeb
- AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy
- Texas African American Genealogy ~ Access Genealogy
- Terrace Cemetery
- Justiceburg Cemetery
- Resthaven Cemetery ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- Garza County Cemetery Photographs ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- Tombstone Transcription Project ~ Partial transcription of cemetery tombstones ~ USGenWeb
- Texas Historic Cemeteries ~ Partial indexes to historic cemeteries
- African American Cemeteries Online ~ Partial index/transcriptions of African American cemeteries
- Cemetery Junction ~ Links to cemetery transcriptions
- 1835 Texas Census
- 1880 Census Transcription ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1900 Census
- 1910 Census Index
- 1920 Census Index
- 1930 Census Index
Original Land Owners of Texas ~ Garza County ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- Wagon Wheels: A History of Garza County, 1973, edited by Charles Didway, County Historical Survey Committee.
- Images of America: Garza County, 2010, by Linda Puckett, Garza County Historical Museum. Limited online preview at Google Books. Many photos of early Garza County.
- Garza County History from the Handbook of Texas Online.
- Texas Museums ~ List of all museums in Texas ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Historical Maps ~ From the Republic to the Turn of the Century ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Texas Counties Map. Click on the county to go to the TXGenWeb site
- WWI Registration Card Information
- WWII Casualties
- Confederate Pension Applications Index ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- Military Resources ~ Links to research Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Fallen Heroes ~ Partial Index of casualties from Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Honoring Our Veterans ~ Partial index of veterans from Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Home Town News - Texas Newspaper Index with links
- Newslink - Texas Newspaper List (sorted by publication frequency)
- The Olden Times - Historic Texas News Online
- Garza County Obituaries
- Obituary Resources ~ Links to research and locate obituaries ~ Hidden Ancestors
- USGenWeb Archives Obituary Project ~ Texas
- Afrigeneas ~ African American death notices, obituaries and funeral programs compiled by users from current newspapers and historical sources
- Obituary Depot ~ Texas Newspaper Citations
- Obituary Project ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Obituary Daily Times ~ Citations to over 15,000,000 obituaries including interactive search function
- Search Tax, Criminal, Land and Wills Records ~ Ancestry.com (subscription)
- Texas Death Index 1964 to 1998 [no images] Name index to Texas Statewide Death Certificates or four million people who have died since 1964.
- Texas Death Records 1890 – 1976 [with images]
Name index and images of statewide death certificates, 1890-1976. The name index has been created by FamilySearch and is tied to images of the Texas death certificates. Few certificates are available prior to 1903.
- Texas Marriage Records 1966 - 2005 ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Texas Divorce Records 1968 - 2005 ~ Hidden Ancestors
- USGenWeb Census Project ~ Texas 1850 - 1930
Societies and Libraries
Post Public Library
105 E Main St
Post, TX 79356
Phone: (806) 990-2149
Garza County Historical Museum
119 North Ave. N
Post, Texas 79356
(806) 495-2207 website
Open Tues-Sat, 10 AM to 5 PM
Society Hill ~ Links and addresses to Texas genealogical and historical societies
Family History Centers
- Garza County Archives ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- Garza County ~ TXGenWeb
- TXGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the county.
- Hidden Ancestors Information on Texas genealogy research as well as genealogy research in general.
- USGenWeb Texas Archives Vital statistics, maps, obituaries, Bible records, tombstone transcriptions and many other records.
- Family History Library Catalog
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Garza County, Texas. Page 664 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).