Genealogical Society WebmastersEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Welcome to the Genealogical Society Webmasters home page. We are, as the name implies, a group of individuals who are actively involved in creating and maintaining the on-line presence (web page, Blog, Facebook Page, Twitter Account and/or Wiki) of a Genealogical Society.
We have an active group discussion under way on Facebook ( http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/GenSocWebmasters/ ). It is a closed group, which means that you will not be able to view the discussion unless/until one of the groups administrators adds you to the group.
Group members (and, hopefully, others) are also in the process of creating and updating additional pages on a variety of topics of interest. These pages are available to anybody: we encourage those with an interest to make full use of the information. We also hope that anybody with information to add will take advantage of the fact that this is a wiki and edit the pages.
Content Management Software (CMS)
As the name implies, a Content Management Software (CMS) package provides a framework that is used to create the web site. Once the initial structure is created this allows users to focus on the content rather than on the mechanics of presenting the information. This has several advantages:
- They provide a very consistent look and feel for the entire web site.
- Web sites tend to be very standards compliant. This means that the content will be displayed 'correctly' on all browsers and all types of devices (including often overlooked smart phones).
- Since knowledge of HTML and CSS is not required, it 'lowers the barrier' for creating and managing content. This may make it possible for a society to have more people creating content.
Popular CMS Packages
Fee Based Software
Some aspects of running a society may be too important or too complicated for home grown solutions... There are alternatives focused on the not for profit organization.
- Webmaster Agreement
- Password Management
- Google Analytics
- [[Internet Domain Names]Internet Domain Names]
Working in the Unix environment
Most web hosting services are based on a Unix or Unix-like environment. Knowledge of the areas listed below is not a requirement for you to establish a web presence. However, understanding the underlying technologies will allow you to have much more control over your sites appearance and security.
- Choosing a Web Hosting Service
- Fundamental security issues
- Enhanced Security Using .htaccess
- Enhanced Security using php.ini
- Editing Files
Creating Web-Based Presentations
- There was a presentation titled "An Exploration of the Integration of Social Networking Technologies into the Core Activities of Genealogical Societies" (TC091) made at the 2011 RootsTech by Tony Hanson. A wiki page was created to support that discussion: View the page
- There was a UnConference session for Genealogical Society Webmasters at the 2012 RootsTech conference. A wiki page was also created to support that discussion: View the page