Georgia RoadEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 1805 Treaty of Tellico allowed the construction of roads through Cherokee Indian lands. The Middle Cherokee Trading Path was used for much of the route of the George Road. It entered Cherokee land at Vann's Ferry and headed toward present-day Ramhurst, where it forked, one trail went north to Knoxville and the other west to Chattanooga (Ross Landing) and Nashville. Another fork on the northwest side of the Tennesse River went from South Pitssburg, Tennessee to Huntsville, Alabama. White squatters often settled near the road on Indian lands, and the Indians were soon forced to withdraw.
Settlers and Records
For partial list of settlers who used the Georgia Road, see .
- ↑ Wikipedia contributors, "Federal Road (Cherokee lands)," Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Road_(Cherokee_lands) (accessed 31 July 2010).
- ↑ "Old Federal Road" in About North Georgia at http://ngeorgia.com/ang/Old_Federal_Road (accessed 31 July 2010).
- ↑ "Federal Road" in New Georgia Encyclopedia at http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/nge/Article.jsp?id=h-801 (accessed 31 July 2010).