Germany, Hesse, Civil Registers and Church Books (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records scheduled to become available at FamilySearch.org.|
Foreign Language Title
Deutschland, Hessen, Marburg Civil Anmeldung und Kirche Bücher (FamilySearch Historische Aufzeichnungen)
Collection Time Period
This collection of civil registers covers the years 1803 to 1935, and the church books cover the years 1701 to 1874.
How to Use the Records
In order to find data in this collection, it is necessary to know the name of the ancestor, the religion, town of the event, and approximate date of the event.
This is a collection of images of civil vital records and church books filmed at the Marburg State Archive that pertain to the historical German state of Hessen-Nassau. Today, Hessen-Nassau is located primarily in Hessen with portions annexed to Rhineland-Pfalz and Thüringen. The records were handwritten in narrative style and later were written into forms. The text of the records is in German.
The key genealogical facts found on most birth or baptism records include the following:
- Names of the child, parents, and witnesses or godparents
- Date and place of birth and baptism
- Residence and religion of the parents
- Occupation of the father
The key genealogical facts found on most marriage records include the following:
- Names of the bride, groom, their parents (usually the fathers), and witnesses
- Date and place of marriage and marriage proclamations or banns
- Ages of the bride and groom
- Sometimes the date and place of birth
- Residences of the bride, groom and their parents
- Religion of the bride and groom
- Occupations of the groom and the fathers
The key genealogical facts found on most death records include the following:
- Names of the deceased, the spouse, and the parents
- Date and place of death and burial
- Age and residence of deceased
- Sometimes the date and place of birth
- Cause of death
Record Scope and Extent
These records are only those in the Marburg State Archives. There are other archives and holding in the state of Hessen. The Evangelische Kirchenarchiv Kurhessen und Waldeck / the Lutheran Church Archives for Kurhessen and Waldeck at Kassel includes 1,819 church books of vital records for church units in Hessen (Kurhessen, Hessen Kassel, Hessen Darmstadt, Hessen Nassau, & Waldeck) reaching into the 1500s. Other sources exist as well.
The clergy were required to record the vital events (births, marriages and deaths) of people living within their jurisdiction regardless of the person’s religion. This meant that events would be recorded even if the person did not have a local religious congregation.
The records of this collection were previously microfilmed at the Marburg State Archive, which holds civil registration records, church books, Jewish vital records, and other records intermixed. However, only the civil registration and church books records are included in this digital collection.
Why This Collection Was Created?
Civil and church records were created to record important events in the lives of the people of the land. This recording of data also helped provide citizenship benefits and statistics for civil authorities.
Church and civil records are the most reliable and accurate family history sources. But it wasn’t until the year 1876 that the civil registration of births, marriages, and deaths began in all of Germany.
Related Web Sites
Related Wiki Articles
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. Guidelines are available to help you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide. If you would like to get more involved join the WikiProject FamilySearch Records.|
Citing FamilySearch Historical Collections
A suggested format for keeping track of records that you have searched is found in the Wiki Article: How to Cite FamilySearch Collections
Please add sample citations to this article following the format guidelines in the wiki article listed above. Examples of citations:
- United States. Bureau of the Census. 12th census, 1900, digital images, From FamilySearch Internet (www.familysearch.org: September 29, 2006), Arizona Territory, Maricopa, Township 1, East Gila, Salt River Base and Meridian; sheet 9B, line 71
- Mexico, Distrito Federal, Catholic Church Records, 1886-1933, digital images, from FamilySearch Internet (www.familysearch.org: April 22, 2010), Baptism of Adolfo Fernandez Jimenez, 1 Feb. 1910, San Pedro Apóstol, Cuahimalpa, Distrito Federal, Mexico, film number 0227023
For guidelines to use in creating wiki articles that describe collections of images and indexes produced by FamilySearch, see: FamilySearch Wiki: Guidelines for FamilySearch Collections pages
Sources of Information for This Collection:
“Germany, Hessen Civil Registers and Church Books, 1701-1935”, database, FamilySearch (http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch), 2010; from Hessisches Staatsarchiv Marburg, Germany. “Germany, Hessen-Nassau civil registers and church books”. Marburg State Archive, Germany. FHL microfilm. Family History Library, Salt Lake City, Utah.
The format for citing FamilySearch Historical Collections, including how to cite individual archives is found in the following link: How to Create Source Citations for FamilySearch Historical Records Collections
We want your opinion!
Give feedback on our new look!Give Feedback