Germany Births and Baptisms (FamilySearch Historical Records)/Known IssuesEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
| This page was created by FamilySearch Historical Records personnel. It details problems identified within this collection and answers to those problems.
If you wish to comment, please visit the talk page to post your comments.
Question #1: Are records that are missing from the collection available?
Answer #1: Many records of christenings that occurred in Germany have been wrongly attributed to parishes in England. These records have been extracted in the Batches listed below, with the corresponding film numbers and incorrect parishes.
|BATCH NUMBER||FILM NUMBER||CHRISTENING PLACE||RECORD WRONGLY ATTRIBUTED TO:||NO. OF RECORDS|
|C00111-6||1055681||Stiftskirche Stuttgart, Württemberg||Warkworth, Northumberland|| |
|C00111-7||872873||Stadtlohn, Westfalen, Preußen||Warkworth, Northumberland|| |
|C00031-2||1055592||Gaisburg (Stuttgart), Württemberg||Smalley, Derby|| |
|C00031-3||1055601||Heslach (Stuttgart), Württemberg||Smalley, Derby|| |
|C00060-3||1192256||Hockenheim, Baden||Great Stainton, Durham|| |
|C00060-4||1192256||(Sennfeld) Hockenheim, Baden||Great Stainton, Durham|| |
|C00084-6||1056764||Beihingen (OA. Ludwigsburg), Württemberg||Ryton, Durham|| |
|C00098-8||572069||Linz, Rheinland, Preußen||Heworth, Durham|| |
|C00098-9||572069||Linz, Rheinland, Preußen||Heworth, Durham|| |
|C00099-0||572069||Linz, Rheinland, Preußen||Lowick, Northumberland|| |
|C00225-7||957271||Sankt Emmeran, Mainz, Hessen||Greystoke, Cumberland|| |
|C00371-9||1055655||Stuttgart, Württemberg||Ampthill, Bedford|| |
Question #2: Some indexed entries have missing or incorrect information regarding the birth date, birth place, baptism/christening place, or film number. Is the missing/correct information available?
Answer #2: Birth/christening records that were previously viewed on FamilySearch may not currently be available on-line. This collection is one of three collections that were formed from a previous large FamilySearch collection. When the new collections were published, some of the records were omitted. This issue is being researched to determine when and if the purged records can be recovered. Since all of the records were extracted from microfilms that are still available, any missing records can be located by searching the Library Catalog and viewing the relevant films at a FamilySearch Center.
Known specifics concerning missing or incorrect information regarding the birth date, birth place, baptism/christening place, or film number are listed below:
- The birth date and birth place may be erroneously excluded from an indexed entry. In such cases, this information can be found on the search results page (prior to opening the record).
- Records from indexing project (batch) number C98446-5 include the wrong film number (569261). The correct film is #352010. The event place for the entire batch should be Hainfeld, Bayern, Germany.
- Records from Batch C95431-2 are from film 565631. All records are from Niederfischbach, Rheinland, Preussen, Germany
- Records from Batch M00730-2 are from film 1914112, Illinois Marriage records. 6 of the records found in a batch search relate to Germany births and baptisms.
- Batch C96788-1 have Hueckelhoven, Rheinland, Prussia as location. Location should be Hüchelhoven, Rheinland, Prussia.
- Results from Batch C99864-2 gives film number 479298 which is Swedish Military Records. The film number is actually 579298.
- Batch C01395-3 is missing records from August, 1712 to 1743. They can be found on Film 187159, specifically for Taufen 1651-1743, from Katholische Kirche Mündelheim (Kr. Düsseldorf).
- Records from Batch C00458-8, Christening Place should be for Lamersdorf (Kr. Düren), Rheinland, Preußen, Germany, not for Lammersdorf (Kr. Montjoie), Rheinland, Preußen, Germany as indicated by the GS Film 174537 (which is a duplicate of the first three items of Film 174536).
Another option is to order a copy of the record through our Photoduplication Services department. For information and an order form, see: Photoduplication Services.
Question #3: Some batch searches show results from both Germany and England. Which is correct?
Answer #3: In some cases the same batch number has been given to two different film numbers, one from Germany and one from England. In other cases, the batch is from just one film but there has been an error by attributing the the batch to two different locations. For example, see batches C00054-1 and C00054-3. The correct location can be determined by looking up the film description in the Catalog.
If you encounter additional problems with this collection, feel free to report them at email@example.com. Please include the following information:
- If searching a specific collection: please include the name of the collection; include all search criteria used, including name, event, dates and places.
- If you are reporting a technical issue: please include your operating system and browser version, such as Windows XP and Internet Explorer.
Your assistance will help ensure that future revisions will be considered.
Return to the Germany Births and Baptisms (FamilySearch Historical Records) Wiki Learn more page.
Return to the Germany Births and Baptisms, 1558-1898 collection at FamilySearch.org.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More