Gila River Indian Agency (Arizona)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Indian Tribes Associated With This Agency
The Gila River Agency existed for only two years -- 1864-1865 -- under that name. Its forerunner was the Pima, Papago, and Maricopa Agency and its successor was the Pima Agency. The earliest known records for the Pima Agency begin in 1888.
Agents and Appointment Dates
M. O Davidson (special) appointed February 24, 1864. Appointed September 12, 1865 agent for Pima and Maricopa
Levi Ruggles (special) April 28, 1866
Captain. F. E. Grossman (special) July 23, 1869
Edward Palmer (special) February 8, 1871
J.H. Stout (special) May 25, 1871 as agent July 23, 1872 second time October 6, 1876
Charles Hudson March 1, 1876
Abram B. Ludlam June 30, 1879 
No known records of the Gila River Agency have survived. Later records of the same locality and jurisdiction are part of the Pima Agency records.
The 1900 federal census included population schedules for the Gila River Reservation. The census includes the non-Indian employees of the Pima Agency, as well as many pages of Indian Population Schedules for the native population of the Reservation. They are recorded as District 79, Gila River Reservation in Maricopa County, Arizona and in District 79, Gila River Indian Reservation, in Pinal County, Arizona.
- ↑ Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974, p. 137.
- ↑ The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. By Edward E. Hill. Clearwater Publishing Co., New York, NY ©1974. FHL Book 970.1 H551o
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974.
- Historical Sketches for Jurisdictional and Subject Headings Used for the Letters Received by the Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880. National Archives Microcopy T1105.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online