Giles County, Virginia GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Has anyone studied my Giles County, Virginia Genealogy before?
More than 25 family history books and articles have been published about Giles County's families.
- Main article: Giles County, Virginia
Giles County, Virginia Genealogy General Resources
- Burton, Charles T. Botetourt County, Virginia, Early Settlers from the Earliest Times through 1795, in the Area that was Botetourt County in 1782. Ft. Wayne, Indiana: Allen County Public Library, 1990. Available at FHL. [Includes area that later became Giles County.]
- Heavener, Ulysses S.A. German New River Settlement: Virginia. 1929; reprint, Baltimore, Md.: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1976. FHL Book 975.5 F2ghu 1976.
- Research Committee, Giles County Historical Society. Giles County, Virginia, History - Families. n.p.: Giles County Historical Society, 1982. Available at Virginia Historical Society; FHL.
Giles County, Virginia Genealogy Books and Articles
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- [Bane] Nichols, Ruth Bane. The Bane(s) Legacy: From North Carolina to Virginia. [Inverness, Florida]: R.B. Nichols, 1992. Available at FHL.
- [Barker] "Genealogy of the Barker Family in West Virginia," Virginia Genealogical Society Quarterly, Vol. 3, No. 2 (Apr. 1965):25-27. Digital version at Ancestry ($).
- [Biggs] Biggs 2000 Reunion: Official Booklet: Sunday, August 13, 2000, Comer Grove, Wikel Ruitan Building, Wikel, West Virginia. n.p.: n.p., 2000. Available at FHL.
- [Briggs] Heinemann, Martha. Briggs Families with a Connection of Floyde County, Ky. Typescript; available on microfilm at FHL.
- [Chapman] Roberson, Rhonda S. "Chapman Sketch," The Southwest Virginian, Vol. 4, No. 19 (Feb. 1981):30. FHL Book 975.57 D25s v. 4 (1981).
- [Clark] Collier, Faye Clark. The Clark(e) Family. MSS., National Library of the Daughters of the American Revolution, Washington, D.C.; also available on microfilm at FHL.
- [Cooke] "John Cooke First Settler of Wyoming County," Virginia Genealogical Society Quarterly, Vol. 2, No. 3 (Jul. 1964):44-45. Digital version at Ancestry ($).
- [Copley] Mills, Roger L. The Mills Family of Western West Virginia and Eastern Kentucky. Chattanooga, Tennessee: R.L. Mills, 1991. Available at FHL.
- [Deck] Gollehon, Bertha Marie Deck. John Deck and Nancy Lambert Deck of Giles County, Virginia and Their Children. MSS., 1982, 1988. Available on microfilm at FHL.
- [Diamond] Carter, Lennie M. and Regina Tackett. Malinda Diamond, Pioneer Woman: The Genealogy of the Diamonds and Rowes of Giles County, Virginia. Baltimore, Maryland: Gateway Press, 2004. Available at FHL.
- [Dickinson] Harman, John Newton. Harman Genealogy (Southern Branch): With Biographical Sketches, 1700-1924. Richmond, Va.: W.C. Hill Print. Co., 1925. Digital version at Ancestry ($).
- [Duncan] Curtis, Oscar F. Research File: Duncan and Allied Families. MSS.; available on microfilm at FHL.
- [Duncan] Dobson, Mary Ann Duncan. Duncan Research Files of Mary Ann (Duncan) Dobson. MSS. 1975-1999. FHL Film 795592 Item 6 Includes Giles County.
- [Epling] Massard, Robert Louis and Debra Kay Cyprych. Epling/Eplin, 1787-2003. 6 vols. + supp. Wellesley Hills, Mass.: R.L. Massard, 2001-2006. Available at FHL.
- [French] Braswell, Irene French. Families of Frenches, Williamsons, Shafers, Brasells in America, 1710-1972. Gilmer, Texas: I.F. Braswell, 1972?. Available at FHL.
- [Frye] Frye, Ralph Lawrence. The Frye Family of Giles County, Virginia: A Compilation of Genealogical Information of the Ancestors, Associated/Allied Families, and Descendants of Clarence Lee and Bessie Willie Perkins Frye. Colonial Heights, Virginia: R.L. Frye, 1988. Available at FHL.
- [Harman] Harman, John Newton. Harman Genealogy (Southern Branch): With Biographical Sketches, 1700-1924. Richmond, Va.: W.C. Hill Print. Co., 1925. Digital version at Ancestry ($).
- [Harman] Clary, Judith Walls Harmon. A History of the Harmons in America, [ca. 1700-1985]. Jacksonville, Florida: J.W.H. Clary, 1992. Available at FHL.
- [Key] Key, Marcus M., Rhoda (Freer) Newman, and Helen (Kay) Yates. "George Key: Virginia Soldier and Missouri Pioneer," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 18, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 1974):3-12; Vol. 18, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1974):97-104; Vol. 18, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1974):211-219. Digital version at American Ancestors ($). FHL Book 975.5 B2vg v. 18 (1974).
- [Keyser] Keyser, Willet. The Keyser Family: Henry's Children. Houston, Tex.: W. Keyser, 1988. Available at FHL.
- [Kirk] Lenges, Peter J. The Kirk Family Records, ca. 1754-1986. Typescript; available on microfilm at FHL.
- [Lugar] Graves, Twila Mae Lugar. Genealogy of the Lugar Family. Chariton, Iowa: T.M.L. Graves, 1979. Available at FHL.
- [Lugar] Graves, Twila Mae Lugar and Jane Echols Johnston. More Descendants of Adam Lugar. Chariton, Iowa: T.L. Graves, 1982. Available at FHL. [Supplement to Genealogy of the Lugar Family.]
- [Lybrook] Womack, Dorothy Owens. Keep in Touch: The Balser and Catherine (Ream) Lybrook Family; Truth and Tales. Lexington, North Carolina: Womack Pub., 2000. Available at FHL.
- [Page] Rutherford, Dolores Crumrine. Page Family Records in Virginia Counties. 2 vols. Carmichael, Calif.: D.C. Rutherford, 1982-2006. FHL Book 929.273 P141rdc v. 2 [Giles County appears in Vol. 2 Part 2]
- [Page] Rutherford, Dolores Crumrine. The Page Family in Virginia Personal Property Taxes (1782-1850). 2 vols. Carmichael, Calif.: D.C. Rutherford, 2002. Available at FHL. [Vol. 1 covers Giles County.]
- [Patteson] Patteson, Andrew W. The Patteson Family History: From Appomattox to Giles. Falls Church, Va.: A.W. Patteson, 1993. Available at FHL.
- [Peck] Armstrong, Zella. Notable Southern Families. Chattanooga, Tenn.: Lookout Publishing Company, 1922. Vol. 2. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free.
- [Peck] Copenhaver, Roberta Matilda and John Alexander Kelly. The Ancestors and Descendants of Judge John Alexander Kelly and Martha Matilda Peck Kelly and Related Families, 1515-1959: Kelly, Alexander, Howell, Peck, Borden, Burke, Snidow; Collected by Dr. John Alexander Kelly. Charlotte, North Carolina: Delmar Printing & Pub., 1994. Available at FHL.
- [Rose] Rose, Christine. Abstracts of Early Virginia Rose Estates: Wills, Inventories, Accounts and Administrator's Bonds before 1850. San Jose, Calif.: Rose Family Bulletin, 1972. FHL US/CAN Book 975.5 A1 no. 56; digital version at Heritage Quest Online ($).
- [Rowe] See Diamond.
- [Shumate] Barker, Nina Ball. The Following Lists Some of the Descendants of the Joseph Ball, Sr. Family. MSS., available on microfilm at FHL.
- [Smith] Albert, Sylvia Gearheart. Edgar Willis Smith and Bertha Florence Williams Ancestory [i.e. Ancestry] and Descendants. Troutville, Va.: S.G. Albert, 1989. Available at FamilySearch Books Online;FHL.
- [Stafford] Stafford, Thomas Albert. The West Ulster Staffords and Their Descendants. Chicago, Illinois: T.A. Stafford, 1952. Available at FHL.
- [Tawney] Ross, Clara Mae Alt. John H. Tawney 1848 - 1916: His Ancestors from Giles Co., Virginia, to Pennsylvania and His Descendants of Roane County, West Virginia. Colfax, North Carolina: C.M. Ross, 1996. Available at FHL.
- [Thompson] Thompson, David Gordon. Genealogy of Gordon Thompson and Jane Clemens Thompson. Salem, Mass.: Higginson, 1984?. Available at FHL.
- [Toler] Burgess, James A. Burgess, Mullins, Browning, Brown and Allied Families. Parsons, W.Va.: McClain Printing Company, 1978. FHL Film 1035668 Item 10; digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free.
- [Underwood] Tickle, James Robert. The Tickle, Bunts, Bond and Jennings Families of Southwest Virginia: A Family History with Some North Carolina Roots. Morristown, Tenn.: J.R. Tickle, 1996. Available at FHL.
- [Walker] Ashworth, June Faye. Walker Family History: (Early Orange, Giles, Cabell, Wayne Counties of Va.); (Mainly Charles Walker, Jr. and Descendants. Huntington, W. Va.: J.F.B. Walker, 1996. Available at FHL.
- [Williams] Ferguson, Shirley G. The Williams Family of W. Va. & Virginia. Phoenix, Arizona: S.G. Ferguson, 1987. Available at FHL.
- [Witten] Witten, James W., Letha O. Ledbetter, and Frank Ledbetter. Dad and His Folks: A History of the Witten and Graham Families. L. & F. Ledbetter, 1932. Available at FHL.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More