Gorton St James, Lancashire

From FamilySearch Wiki

(Difference between revisions)
m (Text replace - 'Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in th)
m (Text replace - '''A Topographical Dictionary of England''' to '''A Topographical Dictionary of England''')
Line 6: Line 6:
 
GORTON, a chapelry [by 1600], in the parish of Manchester, union of Chorlton, hundred of Salford, S. division of the county of Lancaster, 3½ miles (E. S. E.) from Manchester; containing 2422 inhabitants, and comprising 1500 acres. This place is situated on the road to Mottram and Sheffield, and the inhabitants are chiefly employed in the cotton manufacture and in the making of hats. A sort of lime made here, called Ardwick lime, grows hard under water. The Manchester, Ashton, and Stockport canal, and the Manchester and Sheffield, and Manchester and Birmingham railways, pass through the chapelry. In the vale of Gorton is a reservoir 44 acres in extent, excavated by the Manchester Water-works' Company for the partial supply of that town. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £150, with a glebehouse; patrons, the Dean and Canons of Manchester. The chapel, dedicated to '''St. Thomas''', was rebuilt about 1756: it contains several old volumes, the gift of Humphrey Chetham, each volume fastened by a chain. There are places of worship for Baptists, Wesleyans, and Unitarians; and a school in union with the National Society.  
 
GORTON, a chapelry [by 1600], in the parish of Manchester, union of Chorlton, hundred of Salford, S. division of the county of Lancaster, 3½ miles (E. S. E.) from Manchester; containing 2422 inhabitants, and comprising 1500 acres. This place is situated on the road to Mottram and Sheffield, and the inhabitants are chiefly employed in the cotton manufacture and in the making of hats. A sort of lime made here, called Ardwick lime, grows hard under water. The Manchester, Ashton, and Stockport canal, and the Manchester and Sheffield, and Manchester and Birmingham railways, pass through the chapelry. In the vale of Gorton is a reservoir 44 acres in extent, excavated by the Manchester Water-works' Company for the partial supply of that town. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £150, with a glebehouse; patrons, the Dean and Canons of Manchester. The chapel, dedicated to '''St. Thomas''', was rebuilt about 1756: it contains several old volumes, the gift of Humphrey Chetham, each volume fastened by a chain. There are places of worship for Baptists, Wesleyans, and Unitarians; and a school in union with the National Society.  
  
From: ''A Topographical Dictionary of England'' by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 315-319. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50985 Date accessed: 01 July 2010.
+
From: ''[[A Topographical Dictionary of England]]'' by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 315-319. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50985 Date accessed: 01 July 2010.
  
 
== Resources  ==
 
== Resources  ==

Revision as of 14:19, 11 February 2012

England Gotoarrow.png Lancashire Gotoarrow.png Lancashire Parishes


Contents

Chapelry History

GORTON, a chapelry [by 1600], in the parish of Manchester, union of Chorlton, hundred of Salford, S. division of the county of Lancaster, 3½ miles (E. S. E.) from Manchester; containing 2422 inhabitants, and comprising 1500 acres. This place is situated on the road to Mottram and Sheffield, and the inhabitants are chiefly employed in the cotton manufacture and in the making of hats. A sort of lime made here, called Ardwick lime, grows hard under water. The Manchester, Ashton, and Stockport canal, and the Manchester and Sheffield, and Manchester and Birmingham railways, pass through the chapelry. In the vale of Gorton is a reservoir 44 acres in extent, excavated by the Manchester Water-works' Company for the partial supply of that town. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £150, with a glebehouse; patrons, the Dean and Canons of Manchester. The chapel, dedicated to St. Thomas, was rebuilt about 1756: it contains several old volumes, the gift of Humphrey Chetham, each volume fastened by a chain. There are places of worship for Baptists, Wesleyans, and Unitarians; and a school in union with the National Society.

From: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 315-319. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50985 Date accessed: 01 July 2010.

Resources

Civil Registration

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

Church records

Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection

Census records

Probate records

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Maps and Gazetteers

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Web sites

Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.