Grant County, IndianaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Grant County Indiana genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Grant County, Indiana|
Location of Indiana in the U.S.
|Founded||February 10, 1831|
|Address|| Grant County Courthouse|
Marion, IN 46953
- Weaver Cemetery photos (Allen County Public Library Genealogy Center)
- Weaver Cemetery database (Marion Public Library)
- Photos of Tombstones in Weaver Cemetery, Liberty Township, Grant County, Indiana (free, Indiana Genealogical Society)
- Cemeteries for Grant County - Linkpendium
- Grant County Cemeteries & Obituaries - INGenWeb
For tips on accessing Grant County, Indiana census records online, see: Indiana Census.
- Index to Defective, Dependent & Delinquent Census for Grant County, Indiana (1880) (members only database, Indiana Genealogical Society)
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic and Religious Groups
Grant County was formed in 1831. It was named for Captains Samuel and Moses Grant of Kentucky.
- Every Name Index to History of Grant County, Indiana. Every Name Index compiled by Cathy L. O'Connor, 2007; original text by Brant & Fuller, 1886; reproduction by Unigraphic, Inc., 1974. EveryNameIndex.com
- Grant County Histories - Linkpendium
- Brant & Fuller. 2008. History of Grant County, Indiana: from the earliest time to the present, with biographical sketches, notes, etc., together with an extended history of the Northwest, the Indiana Territory, and the State of Indiana. (Chicago: Brant & Fuller.), 977.269 H2 v. 1 FHL US/CAN , 977.269 H2 v. 2 FHL Collection other library
- Whitson, Rolland Lewis, John P. Campbell, and Edgar L. Goldthwait. 1914. Centennial history of Grant County, Indiana, 1812 to 1912: compiled from records of the Grant county historical society, archives of the county, data of personal interviews, and other authentic sources of local information. (Chicago, Ill: Lewis Pub. Co. ) Vol. 1 FamilySearch Books Online; Vol. 2 FHL Collection Vol. 1 Vol.2 FamilySearch Books Online - free; Google Books
Land and Property
- Miami Indianans Who Received Land on Miami Reservation, Grant and Wabash Counties, Indiana (1873) (members only database, Indiana Genealogical Society)
- see - Land Records - Linkpendium
- Family Maps of Grant County, Indiana (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
- Grant County Communities, Land Record, & Maps - INGenWeb
- Maps and Gazetteers - Linkpendium
- Military Information - InGenWeb
- see Military Records and Histories - Linkpendium
- African American Veterans in Grant County, Indiana (1890) (members only database, Indiana Genealogical Society)
War of 1812
Holliday, Murray, The Battle of the Mississinewa, 1812 (Grant County Historical Society) FHL 977.269 H2h
Civil War service men from Grant County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Grant County
- 5th Regiment, Indiana Cavalry (90th Regiment, Indiana Volunteers), Companies A, and M
- 8th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Reorganized Company H
- 12th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies H, I, and Reorganized C
- 12th Battery, Indiana Light Artillery
- 34th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies C, F, K, and I
- 54th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company D
- 89th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company C
- 101st Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies E, F, H, and I
- 130th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company K
- 139th Regiment, Indiana Infantry (100 days, 1864), Companies A, and D
- 153rd Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies A, B, D, H, I, and K
- 28th US Colored Troops, Addition Recruits for Colored Troops
Civil War Books
- "Regiment" in Brant & Fuller. 2008. History of Grant County, Indiana: from the earliest time to the present, with biographical sketches, notes, etc., together with an extended history of the Northwest, the Indiana Territory, and the State of Indiana. (Chicago: Brant & Fuller.), (page 483-496 Regiment, Companies, Name's), 977.269 H2 v. 1 FHL US/CAN , 977.269 H2 v. 2 FNL Collection other libraries
- Williamson, Jennifer, and Donna Craig. 2001. 1862 Grant County, Indiana, indexed Civil War draft enrollment lists. (Valparaiso, IN (P.O. Box 248, Valparaiso 46384): Footprints Pub. Co.) 977.269 H2w FHL US/CAN Book FHL Collection other libraries
World War I (The Great War), 1914-1918
World War II, 1941-1945
Naturalization and Citizenship
- see - Newspaper Records - Linkpendium
Grant County; County Courthouse
Marion, IN 46953
County Health Department has birth and death records.
County Clerk has marriage divorce, probate and court
records from 1831.
Co Auditor has land records. 
Office hours: 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Monday-Friday
Marion Public Library
600 S. Washington Street
Marion, IN 46953-1992
Family History Centers
- Graduates and Teachers of Marion High School (1928) ($, Indiana Genealogical Society)
- Alumni of Swayzee High School (1901-1902) ($, Indiana Genealogical Society)
- Students of Swayzee High School (1911, 1913) ($, Indiana Genealogical Society)
- Teachers of Swayzee High School (1913) ($, Indiana Genealogical Society)
Grant County Health Department (Births prior to October 1907. After that, they are available through Indiana State Department of Health Vital Records)
401 S. Adams St.
Marion, IN 46953
(765)651-2401, ext. 5 firstname.lastname@example.org Grant County Health Department
- see - Vital Records - Linkpendium
- Indiana Marriages, 1802-1892 - Ancestry.con $
- Indiana Marriages, 1780-1992 - FamilySearch
- Indiana Marriage, 1811-1959 - FamilySearch
- Indiana State Digital Achives for Death, E-Publication, Instiution, Military, Misc Historical, Naturalization Records can be searched by person name (accessed 26 May 2011)
- Indiana, Death Index, 1882-1920 - FamilySearch
- The Allen County Public Library has An Index to the Marriage and Death Notices in the Marion Chronicle, 1867-1882.
- Grant County, Indiana Vital Records, Obituaries, and Cemetery Lists (free, Indiana Genealogical Society)
- Grant County Vital Records - InGenWeb
- EveryNameIndex.com Free online genealogy indexes for those big old county histories.
- MyIndianaHome.net for Grant County
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Grant County, Indiana Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Grant County, Indiana 212 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.