Grant County, OregonEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Grant County, Oregon|
Location in the state of Oregon
Location of Oregon in the U.S.
|Founded||October 14, 1862|
|County Seat||Canyon City|
|Address|| Grant County Court|
201 S. Humboldt St., #280
Canyon City, OR 97820
|Named for: General Ulysses S. Grant|
Quick FactsNamed for General Ulysses S. Grant, General of the Union Army at the time.
Gold was discovered in what is now Canyon Creek in 1862, bring a gold rush into the area.
- Records Held at the Courthouse
County Records Inventory listing the records held at the Grant County Court House as of July 2004.
- Records Loss:
17 February 1899: Wheeler County set off.
23 February 1899: Harney County set off.
Places / Localities
The preceding list of places includes incorporated cities and towns, unincorporated towns and communities, and place names that may have been used in family histories. Some have well-organized records and even have web sites. Some are simply social communities with no official records, but which may be referenced in small-town newspapers. The list is provided to help researchers identify localities within the county. As records or histories of these localities are identified, a page will be added for each of these place names.
- 1870 - the portion that is now Harney County was not enumerated.
- 1880 - the portion that is now Harney County was not enumerated. This includes what is now Burns, Harney, etc.
- 1890 - most census's burned in fire and not available. Try finding state census.
- United States 1900 Census
- United States 1910 Census $
- United States 1920 Census $
- United States 1930 Census $
Church History and Records
Emigration and Immigration
- Ellis Island Passenger Arrival Records, 1892-1924, listing passengers who stated they are going to Grant County, Oregon
Land and Property
- Social Security Death Index, begins about 1962 to at least 2 months ago.
- Western States Marriage Index
Societies, Libraries and Museums
- The Grant County GenWeb Project, part of The ORGenWeb Project
- The USGenWeb Archives Project
- [http://www.usgwarchives.org/or/grant/granttoc.htm The USGenWeb Archives Project (backup site)
- webtree.com, listing individuals who born or died in Grant County, Oregon. Submitters of gedcoms may add, update or remove contents.
- Grant County Oregon History and Genealogy
- Family History Library Catalog for Grant County.
|This Oregon-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback