Grant County, South DakotaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This South Dakota-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
|Grant County, South Dakota|
Location in the state of South Dakota
Location of South Dakota in the U.S.
|Founded||January 8, 1873|
Grant County Courthouse
210 E 5th Ave; PO Box 509
Milbank, SD 57252-2433
Clerk Court has birth and death records from 1905,
marriage records from 1890, divorce, probate, and
court records from 1897 and newspapers from 1880;
Register of Deeds has land records 
17 June 1878: Government functions began after months of inactivity, after a petition to the Governor asking for the organization. Seat was at Inkpa City.
1881: County seat was moved to Milbank after November 1881 election, the case was appealed to court. Milbank won over 2 other towns.
1905, 1915, 1925
Unique information may include: Ethnic Background, Maiden Name, Church Affiliation and Military Service
- 1905 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
- 1915 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
- 1925 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
- 1935 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
- 1945 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
Church History and Records
Military History and Records
Societies, Libraries and Museums
- Grant County Library
207 East Park Ave
- Grant County History Society
Third Avenue and Third Street
PO Box 201
Milbank, SD 57252
Email Contact on site
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists : United States of America, 10th ed., (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002)Grant County, South Dakota, p.624
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback