Great Crosby, Lancashire

From FamilySearch Wiki

(Difference between revisions)
m
(19 intermediate revisions by 9 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
 
[[England]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Lancashire]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Lancashire Parishes]]  
 
[[England]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Lancashire]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Lancashire Parishes]]  
  
[[Image:Great_Crosby_St_Luke_contributor_S_Parish.jpg|thumb|right|Great Crosby St Luke contributor S. Parish]]
+
Guide to '''Great Crosby, Lancashire family history and genealogy:''' chapelry register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
 +
 
 +
[[Image:Great Crosby St Luke contributor S Parish.jpg|thumb|right|Great Crosby St Luke contributor S Parish.jpg]]  
  
 
== Chapelry History  ==
 
== Chapelry History  ==
  
Great Crosby  is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Lancashire, created in 1729 from chapelry in   [[Sefton, Lancashire]] Ancient Parish.  
+
Great Crosby, (St. Michael) was created a '''chapelry''' in 1749 from, and lying within[[Sefton, Lancashire|Sefton]] Ancient Parish. The church dedicated to St. Luke was built in 1853 and consecrated By the Bishop of Chester on 26 December 1853. It replaced the earlier chapel of St Michael Great Crosby. It lies 6 miles (N. by W.) from Liverpool. A '''Roman Catholic''' chapel dedicated to St. Peter was built in 1826.<ref>Lewis, Samuel A., ''[http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50907#s8 A Topographical Dictionary of England]'' (1848), pp. 733-737. Date accessed: 19 August 2013.</ref><br>
  
 
Historically a part of Lancashire, Great Crosby was a small village of Viking origin until the arrival of the railway in the 1840s. The village grew rapidly during the late 19th and early 20th century and merged with a number of distinct areas with their own character, to form the Great Crosby urban district.The Great Crosby urban district annexed Little Crosby in 1932. In 1937, the district was combined with the Waterloo with Seaforth urban district to form the municipal borough of Crosby which was in turn was absorbed into the new Metropolitan Borough of Sefton on 1 April 1974. These boundary changes defined the town of Crosby in its modern borders and shrank down the modern area of Great Crosby from the old urban district, making it an area of the modern town of Crosby which today is a separate area of Crosby to Blundellsands, Brighton-le-Sands, and Thornton.  
 
Historically a part of Lancashire, Great Crosby was a small village of Viking origin until the arrival of the railway in the 1840s. The village grew rapidly during the late 19th and early 20th century and merged with a number of distinct areas with their own character, to form the Great Crosby urban district.The Great Crosby urban district annexed Little Crosby in 1932. In 1937, the district was combined with the Waterloo with Seaforth urban district to form the municipal borough of Crosby which was in turn was absorbed into the new Metropolitan Borough of Sefton on 1 April 1974. These boundary changes defined the town of Crosby in its modern borders and shrank down the modern area of Great Crosby from the old urban district, making it an area of the modern town of Crosby which today is a separate area of Crosby to Blundellsands, Brighton-le-Sands, and Thornton.  
 
St Luke's church was built in 1853 by the architect&nbsp; A.E.Holme and consecrated By the Bishop of Chester on 26 December 1853. It replaced the earlier chapel of St Michael Great Crosby
 
 
Prior to the creation of the Diocese of Liverpool the parish was within the Chester Diocese.<br>
 
 
The modern parish of St Luke is in the Sefton Deanery of the Diocese of Liverpool.<br>
 
 
CROSBY, GREAT, a chapelry, in the parish of Sefton, union and hundred of West Derby, S. division of the county of Lancaster, 6 miles (N. by W.) from Liverpool; containing, in the year 1846, 2194 inhabitants. Among the families early connected with Great Crosby, were those of De Aynosdale, Molyneux, Ferrers, and De Walton, of whom Robert De Walton took the name of Blundell, and was ancestor of the Blundells of Little Crosby, and the Blundells of Ince-Blundell. William Blundell, Esq., is now lord of the manor and principal proprietor. The chapelry comprises 2066 acres, whereof 561 are common land or waste. The population has very considerably increased within the last thirty years. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Rector of Sefton; income, £200. The chapel, dedicated to St. Luke, is a brick building with a tower, re-erected in 1774, and enlarged in 1847, at a cost of £250. The tithes have been commuted for £280. A Roman Catholic chapel dedicated to St. Peter was built in 1826: the Rev. William Brown was the first appointed priest, and still officiates. The grammar school here was founded in 1620, by John Harrison, merchant of London, a native of the township, and has an endowment of £50 a year, and a house and garden; the mastership is in the gift of the Merchant Taylors' Company, London, and the present head master is the Rev. Joseph Clark, appointed in 1829: the school is a good building of freestone. A school for girls, founded under the will of Catherine Halsall, is endowed with lands of the value annually of £40. Here is a spring, called St. Michael's.
 
 
From: ''A Topographical Dictionary of England'' by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 733-737. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50907 Date accessed: 29 June 2010.
 
  
 
== Resources  ==
 
== Resources  ==
Line 35: Line 27:
 
==== Church records  ====
 
==== Church records  ====
  
Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
+
===== '''Online Records'''  =====
 +
 
 +
'''<u>Church of England</u>'''
 +
 
 +
Great Crosby chapelry's registers of christenings, marriages and burials, along with those of the ancient parish of [[Sefton, Lancashire|Sefton]] to which it is attached, have been mostly transcribed and are displayed online at the following web sites and ranges of years:
 +
 
 +
{| width="305" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="1" border="1"
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffff" align="left" colspan="6" | '''AC''' = [http://search.ancestry.co.uk Ancestry.co.uk (£)]
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffff" align="left" colspan="6" | '''FMP''' = [http://www.findmypast.co.uk/content/sog/misc-series FindMyPast.co.uk (£)]
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffff" align="left" colspan="6" | '''FREG''' = [http://www.freereg.org.uk/cgi/Search.pl FreeReg]
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffff" align="left" colspan="6" | '''FS ''' = [http://familysearch.org FamilySearch.org]
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffff" align="left" colspan="6" | '''LBMD''' = [http://www.lancashirebmd.org.uk LancashireBMD.org.uk]
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffff" align="left" colspan="6" | '''LOPC''' = [http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/indexp.html Lancashire Online Parish Clerk]
 +
|}
 +
 
 +
<br>
 +
 
 +
{| width="625" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="1" border="1" align="center"
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" align="center" colspan="4" | '''GREAT CROSBY ST LUKE Chapelry&nbsp; (1749) Indexes'''
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" |
 +
| bgcolor="#66ffcc" | <u>'''Baptisms'''</u>
 +
| bgcolor="#ccffff" | <u>'''Marriages'''</u>
 +
| bgcolor="#ffccff" | <u>'''Burials'''</u>
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" | '''FS'''
 +
| bgcolor="#66ffcc" | [http://familysearch.org '''1749-1869''']
 +
| bgcolor="#ccffff" | None
 +
| bgcolor="#ffccff" | None
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" | '''LOPC'''
 +
| bgcolor="#66ffcc" | [http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Liverpool/Great-Crosby/stluke/index.html '''1749-1764, 1797-1869''']
 +
| bgcolor="#ccffff" | None
 +
| bgcolor="#ffccff" | [http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Liverpool/Great-Crosby/stluke/index.html '''1854-1869''']
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" | '''LBMD'''
 +
| bgcolor="#66ffcc" | [http://www.lancashirebmd.org.uk/cgi/birthind.cgi?county=lancashire '''1837-1905''']
 +
| bgcolor="#ccffff" | None
 +
| bgcolor="#ffccff" | None
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" align="center" colspan="6" | '''[[Sefton, Lancashire|SEFTON ST HELEN]] PARISH&nbsp;(1597) Indexes '''''(ancient parish containing GREAT CROSBY&nbsp;Chapelry)''
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" |
 +
| bgcolor="#66ffcc" | <u>'''Baptisms'''</u>
 +
| bgcolor="#ccffff" | <u>'''Marriages'''</u>
 +
| bgcolor="#ffccff" | <u>'''Burials'''</u>
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" | '''FS'''
 +
| bgcolor="#66ffcc" | [http://familysearch.org '''1598-1855''']
 +
| bgcolor="#ccffff" | [http://familysearch.org '''1600-1603, 1616-1642, 1659-1840''']
 +
| bgcolor="#ffccff" | [http://familysearch.org '''1783-1899''']
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" | '''LOPC'''
 +
| bgcolor="#66ffcc" | [http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Liverpool/Sefton/sthelen/index.html '''1597-1780, 1783-1856''']
 +
| bgcolor="#ccffff" | [http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Liverpool/Sefton/sthelen/index.html '''1600-1783, 1813-1884''']
 +
| bgcolor="#ffccff" | [http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Liverpool/Sefton/sthelen/index.html '''1783-1899''']
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" | '''LBMD'''
 +
| bgcolor="#66ffcc" | None
 +
| bgcolor="#ccffff" | [http://www.lancashirebmd.org.uk/cgi/marrind.cgi?county=lancashire '''1837-1950''']
 +
| bgcolor="#ffccff" | None
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" | '''FMP'''
 +
| bgcolor="#66ffcc" | None
 +
| bgcolor="#ccffff" | [http://www.findmypast.co.uk/content/sog/misc-series '''1657-1775''']
 +
| bgcolor="#ffccff" | None
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" | '''AC'''
 +
| bgcolor="#66ffcc" | [http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=5895 '''1597-1783''']
 +
| bgcolor="#ccffff" | [http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=5895 '''1597-1783''']
 +
| bgcolor="#ffccff" | [http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=5895 '''1597-1783''']
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" | '''FREG'''
 +
| bgcolor="#66ffcc" | None
 +
| bgcolor="#ccffff" | None
 +
| bgcolor="#ffccff" | None
 +
|}
 +
 
 +
<br>
 +
 
 +
For a full list of all those chapels surrounding Great Crosby and comprising the whole ancient parish of Sefton to which it was attached, be certain to see "Church Records" on the [[Sefton, Lancashire|SEFTON&nbsp;ST&nbsp;HELEN]] PARISH page.
 +
 
 +
<br> Bishop's transcripts for Seaforth, Great Crosby, and Waterloo <br>Microfilm of original records at the Lancashire Record Office, Preston.
 +
 
 +
Seaforth, Great Crosby and Waterloo are chapelries in the parish of [[Sefton, Lancashire]].
 +
 
 +
Baptisms, 1840, 1855-1859, 1873-1877 (Seaforth); baptisms, 1749-1869 and burials, 1854-1869 (Great Crosby); baptisms 1841-1847, 1868- 1870 and marriages, 1870 (Waterloo). FHL BRITISH Film 1468974 Item 2 <br>
 +
 
 +
<br>
  
 
==== Census records  ====
 
==== Census records  ====
  
Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
+
{{British Census|306905}}
  
http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census
+
<br>
  
 
==== Poor Law Unions<br>  ====
 
==== Poor Law Unions<br>  ====
Line 60: Line 147:
 
== Web sites  ==
 
== Web sites  ==
  
Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.  
+
{{expand section|any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.}}
  
<br>
+
== References  ==
 +
 
 +
{{Reflist}} {{Lancashire}}
  
 
[[Category:Lancashire]]
 
[[Category:Lancashire]]

Revision as of 16:41, 19 September 2013

England Gotoarrow.png Lancashire Gotoarrow.png Lancashire Parishes

Guide to Great Crosby, Lancashire family history and genealogy: chapelry register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.

Great Crosby St Luke contributor S Parish.jpg

Contents

Chapelry History

Great Crosby, (St. Michael) was created a chapelry in 1749 from, and lying withinSefton Ancient Parish. The church dedicated to St. Luke was built in 1853 and consecrated By the Bishop of Chester on 26 December 1853. It replaced the earlier chapel of St Michael Great Crosby. It lies 6 miles (N. by W.) from Liverpool. A Roman Catholic chapel dedicated to St. Peter was built in 1826.[1]

Historically a part of Lancashire, Great Crosby was a small village of Viking origin until the arrival of the railway in the 1840s. The village grew rapidly during the late 19th and early 20th century and merged with a number of distinct areas with their own character, to form the Great Crosby urban district.The Great Crosby urban district annexed Little Crosby in 1932. In 1937, the district was combined with the Waterloo with Seaforth urban district to form the municipal borough of Crosby which was in turn was absorbed into the new Metropolitan Borough of Sefton on 1 April 1974. These boundary changes defined the town of Crosby in its modern borders and shrank down the modern area of Great Crosby from the old urban district, making it an area of the modern town of Crosby which today is a separate area of Crosby to Blundellsands, Brighton-le-Sands, and Thornton.

Resources

Civil Registration

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths Lancashire BMD

Lancashire Online Parish Clerks

An extremely useful resource for research in Lancashire Parishes http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/


Church records

Online Records

Church of England

Great Crosby chapelry's registers of christenings, marriages and burials, along with those of the ancient parish of Sefton to which it is attached, have been mostly transcribed and are displayed online at the following web sites and ranges of years:

AC = Ancestry.co.uk (£)
FMP = FindMyPast.co.uk (£)
FREG = FreeReg
FS = FamilySearch.org
LBMD = LancashireBMD.org.uk
LOPC = Lancashire Online Parish Clerk


GREAT CROSBY ST LUKE Chapelry  (1749) Indexes
Baptisms Marriages Burials
FS 1749-1869 None None
LOPC 1749-1764, 1797-1869 None 1854-1869
LBMD 1837-1905 None None
SEFTON ST HELEN PARISH (1597) Indexes (ancient parish containing GREAT CROSBY Chapelry)
Baptisms Marriages Burials
FS 1598-1855 1600-1603, 1616-1642, 1659-1840 1783-1899
LOPC 1597-1780, 1783-1856 1600-1783, 1813-1884 1783-1899
LBMD None 1837-1950 None
FMP None 1657-1775 None
AC 1597-1783 1597-1783 1597-1783
FREG None None None


For a full list of all those chapels surrounding Great Crosby and comprising the whole ancient parish of Sefton to which it was attached, be certain to see "Church Records" on the SEFTON ST HELEN PARISH page.


Bishop's transcripts for Seaforth, Great Crosby, and Waterloo
Microfilm of original records at the Lancashire Record Office, Preston.

Seaforth, Great Crosby and Waterloo are chapelries in the parish of Sefton, Lancashire.

Baptisms, 1840, 1855-1859, 1873-1877 (Seaforth); baptisms, 1749-1869 and burials, 1854-1869 (Great Crosby); baptisms 1841-1847, 1868- 1870 and marriages, 1870 (Waterloo). FHL BRITISH Film 1468974 Item 2


Census records

Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 306905.


Poor Law Unions

West Derby, Lancashire Poor Law Union

Probate records

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Maps and Gazetteers

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Web sites

References

  1. Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 733-737. Date accessed: 19 August 2013.