Great Harwood, Lancashire

From FamilySearch Wiki

(Difference between revisions)
m (Text replace - '''A Topographical Dictionary of England''' to '''A Topographical Dictionary of England''')
Line 2: Line 2:
  
 
== Chapelry History  ==
 
== Chapelry History  ==
HARWOOD, GREAT, a township and chapelry, in the parish, union, and Lower division of the hundred, of Blackburn, N. division of Lancashire, 4½ miles (N. E.) from Blackburn; the township containing 2273 inhabitants. Roger de Lacy granted the manor to Richard de Fitton, by a deed without date. Richard Fitton, the fifth in descent from the original grantee, lived in the reign of Edward III., and left three coheiresses, through whom the manor, divided into three portions, came to the families of Hesketh, Nowell, and Leigh. The Heskeths purchased the Leighs' share; that of the Nowells continued in that family until alienated by the late Alexander Nowell, Esq. The chapelry comprises part of the township of Rishton, and contains 4574 acres, of which 2744 are in Great Harwood; of these, about 102 are woodland, and the remainder arable and pasture. The township of Harwood is divided into Over and Nether town: the latter had the grant of a market in 1390. Fairs for cattle are held on the 21st of August and 3rd of March. The living is a perpetual curacy, with a net income of £150, and a glebe-house; patron, the Vicar of Blackburn. The chapel, dedicated to '''St. Bartholomew''', is an ancient edifice in the later English style, but much deformed by alterations. There are places of worship for dissenters; and a school endowed with £29 per annum.
 
  
From: ''[[A Topographical Dictionary of England]]'' by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 431-435. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51012 Date accessed: 01 July 2010.
+
HARWOOD, GREAT, '''a township and chapelry''', '''''in the parish''''', union, and Lower division of the hundred, '''''of Blackburn''''', N. division of Lancashire, 4½ miles northeast of Blackburn. The chapelry comprises part of the township of Rishton and the township of Harwood was divided into Over and Nether town. The chapel, is dedicated to '''St. Bartholomew.'''
 +
 
 +
In this township were built, chapels for Independents, Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, and Roman Catholics.<ref>''[[A Topographical Dictionary of England]]'' by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 431-435. URL: [http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51012 http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51012] Adapted.&amp;nbsp;Date accessed: 01 July 2010.</ref>
  
 
== Resources  ==
 
== Resources  ==
Line 18: Line 19:
 
==== Census records  ====
 
==== Census records  ====
  
{{Expand section|any unique information, such as ''the census for X year was destroyed''}}
+
{{Expand section|any unique information, such as ''the census for X year was destroyed''}}  
  
 
==== Probate records<br> ====
 
==== Probate records<br> ====
Line 35: Line 36:
 
Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.  
 
Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.  
  
<br>
+
== Reference<br> ==
 +
 
 +
{{Reflist}}
  
 
[[Category:Lancashire]]
 
[[Category:Lancashire]]

Revision as of 19:35, 8 March 2012

England Gotoarrow.png Lancashire Gotoarrow.png Lancashire Parishes

Contents

Chapelry History

HARWOOD, GREAT, a township and chapelry, in the parish, union, and Lower division of the hundred, of Blackburn, N. division of Lancashire, 4½ miles northeast of Blackburn. The chapelry comprises part of the township of Rishton and the township of Harwood was divided into Over and Nether town. The chapel, is dedicated to St. Bartholomew.

In this township were built, chapels for Independents, Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, and Roman Catholics.[1]

Resources

Civil Registration

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

Church records

Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection

Census records

Probate records

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Maps and Gazetteers

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Web sites

Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.

Reference

  1. A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 431-435. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51012 Adapted.&nbsp;Date accessed: 01 July 2010.