Great Marsden, Lancashire GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The Diocese of Blackburn is a Church of England diocese, covering much of Lancashire, created in 1926 from part of the Diocese of Manchester. The Diocese includes the towns of Blackburn, Blackpool, Burnley, and the cities of Lancaster, and Preston, as well as a large part of the Ribble Valley.
The parish history can be summarised:
- 1845 Mission church founded
- 1848 Church built in Barkerhouse Road
- 1896 Church restored
- 1996 Demolished, services held in the former school - Church Centre next to the site
- 1999 Church Centre unsafe, services held at St.Philip's whilst new church to be built on the site of the previous one
- 2000 May, New church building consecrated, the Parish now combined with that of St.Philip on Leeds Road
"MARSDEN, GREAT, a township with a district chapelry, in the parochial chapelry of Colne, and in parish of Whalley, union of Burnley, Higher division of the hundred of Blackburn, N. division of Lancashire, 3½ miles northeast by north from Burnley. A district church was endowed in 1845 and was dedicated to St. John."
The Wesleyans have a place of worship."
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths Lancashire BMD
Lancashire Online Parish Clerks
An extremely useful resource for research in Lancashire Parishes http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/
Church of England
Great Marsden chapelry's registers of christenings, marriages and burials, along with those of the ancient parish of Whalley to which it is attached, have been mostly transcribed and are displayed online at the following web sites and ranges of years:
|FS = FamilySearch.org|
|LOPC = Lancashire Online Parish Clerk project|
|FMP = FindMyPast.co.uk|
|LBMD = LancashireBMD.org.uk|
|AC = Ancestry.co.uk|
|FREG = FreeReg|
|NELSON-GREAT MARSDEN ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST Chapelry (1845) Indexes|
|WHALLEY ST MARY AND ALL SAINTS PARISH (1538) Indexes (ancient parish containing GREAT MARSDEN Chapelry)|
|LOPC||1538-1601, 1605-1845, 1848-1860, 1862-1875||1539-1601, 1605-1647, 1653-1900||1538-1601, 1605-1840, 1843-1891|
|AC|| 1538-1601, 1605-1653
|| 1538-1601, 1605-1653
|| 1538-1601, 1605-1653|
For a full list of all those chapels surrounding Great Marsden and comprising the whole ancient parish of Whalley to which it was attached, be certain to see "Church Records" on the WHALLEY ST MARY PARISH page.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 306898.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above..
- ↑ A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 260-263. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51135 Adapted. Date accessed: 20 July 2010.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News