Great Sankey, Lancashire Genealogy

From FamilySearch Wiki

(Difference between revisions)
m (top-level category removed)
Line 1: Line 1:
[[England]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Lancashire]]  
+
[[England]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Lancashire]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Lancashire Parishes]]  
  
== Parish History  ==
+
== Chapelry History  ==
 
+
SANKEY, GREAT, a chapelry, in the parish of Prescot, union of Warrington, hundred of West Derby, S. division of Lancashire, 2¾ miles (W.) from Warrington; containing 567 inhabitants. The manor, sometimes called Much Sankey, was vested in the lords of Warrington; it was afterwards held by Thomas Botiler, who inherited from his father, Sir Thomas, and who died in possession, 22nd Elizabeth. The property passed to the Bolds and the Irelands early in the 17th century, and from the last named family, about 1622, to the Athertons; and is now held by Lord Lilford. The township comprises 1909a. 25p., and is bounded by Sankey brook. The first canal navigation in modern times, originated here in 1755. From the time of the Romans, when they cut their fosse-dyke, or at least from the reign of Henry II., when that medium was re-opened, no water conveyance for the purpose of trade, cut out of the solid land, existed in England until the Sankey Brook navigation was commenced. The original intention of the undertakers was to deepen Sankey brook; but instead of this being the channel of communication, the navigation runs entirely separate from it, except that it crosses and mixes with that water in one place, about two miles from Sankey bridge. The canal, closely accompanying the course of the brook, descends from the collieries about St. Helen's to the Mersey. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £103; patron, Lord Lilford; impropriators, the Provost and Fellows of King's College, Cambridge: the tithes belonging to the college have been commuted for £130, those of the rector of Warrington for £65, and those of the vicar of the parish for £75, per annum. The chapel, dedicated to St. Mary, was rebuilt by subscription about a century since. There is a Sunday school in the chapelry.
Add a general overview of the history of this parish. It can be a few sentences or a couple of paragraphs.<br>
+
  
 +
From: ''A Topographical Dictionary of England'' by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 15-20. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51255  Date accessed: 21 July 2010.
 
== Resources  ==
 
== Resources  ==
  

Revision as of 16:43, 21 July 2010

England Gotoarrow.png Lancashire Gotoarrow.png Lancashire Parishes

Contents

Chapelry History

SANKEY, GREAT, a chapelry, in the parish of Prescot, union of Warrington, hundred of West Derby, S. division of Lancashire, 2¾ miles (W.) from Warrington; containing 567 inhabitants. The manor, sometimes called Much Sankey, was vested in the lords of Warrington; it was afterwards held by Thomas Botiler, who inherited from his father, Sir Thomas, and who died in possession, 22nd Elizabeth. The property passed to the Bolds and the Irelands early in the 17th century, and from the last named family, about 1622, to the Athertons; and is now held by Lord Lilford. The township comprises 1909a. 25p., and is bounded by Sankey brook. The first canal navigation in modern times, originated here in 1755. From the time of the Romans, when they cut their fosse-dyke, or at least from the reign of Henry II., when that medium was re-opened, no water conveyance for the purpose of trade, cut out of the solid land, existed in England until the Sankey Brook navigation was commenced. The original intention of the undertakers was to deepen Sankey brook; but instead of this being the channel of communication, the navigation runs entirely separate from it, except that it crosses and mixes with that water in one place, about two miles from Sankey bridge. The canal, closely accompanying the course of the brook, descends from the collieries about St. Helen's to the Mersey. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £103; patron, Lord Lilford; impropriators, the Provost and Fellows of King's College, Cambridge: the tithes belonging to the college have been commuted for £130, those of the rector of Warrington for £65, and those of the vicar of the parish for £75, per annum. The chapel, dedicated to St. Mary, was rebuilt by subscription about a century since. There is a Sunday school in the chapelry.

From: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 15-20. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51255 Date accessed: 21 July 2010.

Resources

Civil Registration

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

Church records

Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection

Census records

Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.

Probate records

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Maps and Gazetteers

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Web sites

Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.