Greene County, Alabama GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Dates for major county records|
|For earlier dates, try...Church | Obituaries | Cemeteries | Parent Counties|
|Greene County, Alabama|
Location in the state of Alabama
Location of Alabama in the U.S.
|Founded||December 13, 1819|
County CourthouseGreene County Courthouse
400 Morrow Avenue
Eutaw, AL 35462
Phone: (205) 372-3598
Probate Judge has marriage records from 1823,
probate records from 1821,
land records from 1820 and military discharge records
1868 -- Courthouse burned and many records were damaged.
For further information on researching in burned counties, see the following:
- Burned Counties Research in FamilySearch Wiki
- Michael John Neill, Burned Counties in Family History Circle
Biographies of many notable residents of Greene County, Alabama Genealogy were published in Memorial Record of Alabama (1893). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free. Begins on page 1042.
- 1855-1856 - Snedecor, V. Gayle. 1963 Reprint of Snedecor's 1855-1856 Directory of Greene County, Alabama. Eutaw, Ala., 1963. Digital version at Ancestry ($).
Civil War, 1861-1865
Civil War service men from Greene County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies or regiments that were formed from men of Greene County.
- - 1st Battalion, Alabama Artillery, Company B
- Alabama, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865
- Alabama, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865
- 1865-1866 - U.S. IRS Tax Assessment Lists, 1862-1918 at Ancestry ($). Greene County is in District 2.
- 1881-1930 - Alabama, Births and Christenings, 1881-1930 FamilySearch Historical Records Collection
- 1816-1957 - Alabama, Marriages, 1816-1957 FamilySearch Historical Records Collection. Incomplete.
- 1881-1952 - Alabama, Deaths and Burials, 1881-1952 FamilySearch Historical Records Collection
- 1908-1974 - Alabama, Deaths, 1908-1974 FamilySearch Historical Records Collection
Alabama Voting Registers for 1867 are available online at the Alabama Department of Archives and History. Green County has 2 books:
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- USGenWeb Archives Project ~ contains record transcriptions from Bibles, obituaries, court records and more.
- County ALGenWeb ~ record transcriptions and information pertinent to the county.
- Greene County, Alabama Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Greene County p. 37. ; .
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News