Greene County, Virginia GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The county is named after Revolutionary War General Nathanael Greene (1742-1786).
Grants and Patents
- Hudgins. 13 patents dated 1722-1761 in what is now Greene County, Virginia placed on a map. DeedMapper. [Names of those who received land patents, dates, land descriptions, and references may be viewed free of charge (click "Index" next to the county listing); however, in order to view the maps, it is necessary to purchase Direct Line Software's DeedMapper product.]
War of 1812
- Douthat, James L. Roster of War of 1812, Southside, Virginia. Signal Mountain, Tennessee: Mountain Press, 2007. Available at FHL. [Includes Greene County.]
- "A Guide to the Counties of Virginia: Greene County," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 12, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1968):106-107. Available at FHL; digital version at New England Ancestors ($).
Beth Fridley has published abstracts of Greene County, Virginia birth records online at Ancestry:
- Greene County, Virginia Births, 1853-1871 [database on-line]. Available at Ancestry ($).
- Greene County, Virginia Births, 1872-1878 [database on-line]. Available at Ancestry ($).
- Greene County, Virginia Births, 1879-1887 [database on-line]. Available at Ancestry ($).
- Greene County, Virginia Births, 1888-1896 [database on-line]. Available at Ancestry ($).
Societies and Libraries
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).