Greensville County, Virginia Compiled GenealogiesEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Has anyone studied my Greensville County, Virginia Genealogy before?
More than a dozen family history books and articles have been published about Greensville County's families. <no include> </no include>
- Main article: Greensville County, Virginia
- Greensville County, VA Genealogy Forum, courtesy: GenForum.
- Greensville - Family History & Genealogy Message Board, courtesy: Ancestry.
- Southside Virginia Mailing List, courtesy: RootsWeb. (2500+ messages)
- Brown, Douglas Summers et al. Historical and Biographical Sketches of Greensville County, Virginia, 1650-1967. Emporia, Va.: Riparian Woman's Club, 1968. Available at Virginia Historical Society.
- D.A.R. Hicksford Chapter (Emporia, Va.). Biographies of the Revolutionary War Ancestors and History of the Hicksford Chapter: National Society Daughters of the American Revolution. Va.: Hicksford Chapter, NSDAR, 1992. FHL Book 975.5573 D3b.
- Doyle, Stuart W. Roots Exposed the Lineage and Interrelationships of 15 Family Branches from Virginia's Sussex, Southampton and Greensville Counties. [Orlando, Fla.?]: S.W. Doyle, 2002. FHL Collection 929.273 D772ds [Includes Clanton, Graves, Heath, Hill, Hunnicutt, Maine, Massenburg, Reese, Seaborne, Smith, Vaughn, West, Wright and related families.]
- Joyner, Ulysses P. They Crossed the Blackwater: The First Settlers of Southampton County, Virginia. Orange, Va.: U.P. Joyner, 2001/2003. FHL Book 975.5552 H2j 2003.
- Pritchett, John W. Southside Virginia Genealogies. CD-ROM. Baltimore, Md.: Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 2007. Free online index, courtesy: Virginians - The Family History of John W. Pritchett. [Includes a great deal of information about residents of Greensville County, see discussion of cited sources.] FHL US/CAN CD-ROM no. 3887. Purchase at Virginians.com.
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- [Batte] Hamlin, Charles Hughes. "Batte and Allied Families: Genealogical Research Reports to a Client," The National Genealogical Society Quarterly, Vol. 60, No. 1 (Mar. 1972):8-12; Vol. 60, No. 2 (June 1972):103-107; Vol. 60, No. 3 (Sep. 1972):207-212. FHL Book 973 B2ng v. 60
- [Harris] Wiggins, Kathryn. The Harris Papers: A Genealogical Notebook. Camarillo, Calif.: K. Wiggins, 1968?. FHL Book 929.273 H24w
- [Howse] Mitchell, Mary Ann. The House of Howses. Jackson, Tenn.: M.A. Mitchell, 1988. FHL Book 929.273 H847m
- [Jackson] Staubach, Emilee Mills. Mills, Jackson Families: Early Court Records, Southside Virginia, Brunswick, Greensville. MSS., Clayton Library, Houston, Texas. FHL Collection 1317275 Item 1
- [Lanier] Ingersoll, Louise. Lanier: A Genealogy of the Family Who Came to Virginia and Their French Ancestors in London. Washington, D.C.: Goetz Printing Company, 1965. Digital version at World Vital Records ($).
- [Mills] Staubach, Emilee Mills. Mills, Jackson Families: Early Court Records, Southside Virginia, Brunswick, Greensville. MSS., Clayton Library, Houston, Texas. FHL Collection 1317275 Item 1
- [Price] Roach, Henry A. Levi Lloyd Price, 1842-1920, and Descendants. 1978. FHL Book 929.273 P931rh
- [Rawlings] Browder, Barbara H. Genealogical Notes Concerning the Rawlings Family. Donated 1999. Available at Virginia Historical Society.
- [Shehorn] Bell, Shirley Ann Hulett. Shehorn Family, ca. 1794-1969. Typescript. Microfilmed 2000: FHL Film 1425294 Item 2
- [Walton] Black, Roy W. Walton Family of Brunswick & Greensville Counties, Virginia and Morgan & Putnam Counties, Georgia. Typescript, 1955. FHL Collection 875417 Item 7
- [Watkins] Ewing, Evelyn Jones and Raymond W. Watkins. Watkins Family Information. Typescript. Microfilmed 1996: FHL Film 2055173 Item 2
- [Woodruff] Woodruff, Audrey Lee Wagner. Tall Trees in the Forest: The Woodruff Family of Virginia, Alabama, and Missouri. Kansas City, Mo., 1966. FHL Book 929.273 W86b
- [Woodruff] Woodruff, Howard W.The Woodroof-Woodrough-Woodruff Family: of Surry, Brunswick, Greensville counties, Virginia, 1700-1825, and Some Branches Who Migrated to Tennessee, Alabama, Missouri, Texas, 1820-1985. Independence, Mo.: A.L. Woodruff, 1985. FHL Collection 929.273 W86w; digital version at Internet Archive. [Revised and updated version of Tall Trees in the Forest (1966).]
- [Wyche] Town, Jan Wyche. Wyche Family History. Burleson, Texas: J.W. Town, 1989. FHL Book 929.273 W971t
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News