Gresford, WrexhamEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The area was settled by Anglo-Saxons of Mercia in the 7th and 8th centuries and the settlement is referred to as "Gretford" in the Domesday Book. It was previously assumed that the name was derived from "Groesffordd" (Welsh for Crossroad) but is now believe that that Welsh name is simply a corruption of the English word.
The large parish church of All Saints' Church and is believed to date back to 1492 and is famous for its bells. It was built of Millstone Grit, a sandy brown coloured stone, known locally as "Cefn Stone".
Until the early 19th century, the parish of Gresford covered a large area, and included the chapelries of Holt and Isycoed, and the detached township of Erddig to the south of Wrexham. It also included the township of Marford & Hoseley, an exclave of Flintshire.
As the population in the area increased, the parish was subdivided:
- In June 1840, the townships of Allington, Burton, Marford & Hoseley became the newly formed parish of Rossett.
- In November 1851, the township of Gwersyllt became the new parish of Gwersyllt.
Before the Industrial Revolution the parish of Gresford had been agricultural in nature.
|1536 - 31 March 1974||Denbighshire & Flintshire|
|1 April 1974 - 31 March 1996||Clwyd|
|from 1 April 1996||Wrexham|
The parish of Gresford formed part of the Hope and, later, the Holt sub-district of the Wrexham Registrar's District.
|1851|| HO107/2502 folios 141-265|
HO107/2503 folios 379-424
|1861|| RG9/4277 folios 1-38 & 83-126|
RG9/4284 folios 30-39
RG9/4285 folios 41-60
RG9/4288 folios 32-33 & 91
|1871|| RG10/5651 folios 63-120|
RG10/5654 folios 96-end
RG10/5655 folios 14 & 29-38
RG10/5656 folios 113-133
RG10/5658 folios 109-111 & 125-127
|1881|| RG11/5511 folios 35-97|
RG11/5515 folios 9-25
RG11/5517 folios 104-end
RG11/5518 folios 51 & 67-69 & 75-76 & 95-109
|1891|| RG12/4611 folios 119-171a|
RG12/4614 folios 1-3 & 7-23
RG12/4617 folios 74-77 & 95-106
RG12/4619 folios 96-98 & 117-118
The following Gresford Parish Registers have been deposited at the Denbighshire Record Office in Ruthin:
|Baptisms||1661 - 1976|
|Marriages||1672 - 1988|
|Burials||1661 - 1979|
- The Clwyd Family History Society have published several volumes of the Gresford parish registers.
- There are no official records available on the IGI for Gresford parish.
Nonconformist Church Records
The following chapel records from Gresford are available on the IGI:
Births, marriages and deaths in Gresford are recorded in the GRO indexes as:
|1 Jul 1837 - 1871||Hope||Wrexham|| XXVII (1837-51)|
|1871 - 1974||Holt||Wrexham|| 11b (1871-1946)|
Poor Law Union
The parish of Gresford was part of the Wrexham Union, which was created on 30 March 1837.
A workhouse was built at Croesnewydd in Bersham.
The records of the Wrexham Union are now held at Denbighshire Record Office in Ruthin.
- Ordnance Survey map of Gresford.
- Gresford War Memorial at Clwyd FDHS
- Gresford Parish Church at Clwyd FHS
- The Gresford Disaster at Clwyd FHS