Grub parish, Appenzell, Switzerland GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Grub has an area of 4.2 square kilometers (1.6 square miles). The protestant parish of Grub is separated by a creek from the Catholic parish of Grub in Sankt Gallen. The area is used thusly:
Grub was first named in 1488 as uss der Gruob. In 1667, the population was 543. It had grown to 890 by 1734. By 1818, it had fallen to 715, but had risen to 967 by 1850.
Locations within Grub
The parish of Grub was established in 1474, and was politically divided from the Catholic parish of Grub in 1751. Records available at the Family History Library include baptisms (Taufen) and marriages (Heiraten) 1636-1817; confirmations (Konfirmanden) 1796-1801; and deaths (Tote) 1673-1817. Records after 1817 are available at the Cantonal Archive in Herisau, Switzerland.
A family book (Familienbuch) for citizens of Grub, compiled in 1820-1830, is available at the Cantonal Archive in Herisau.
A family book (Familienbuch) for Grub was made around 1750, and includes individuals into the 1600s; this is available on microfilm from the Family History Library.
(see here for article describing Swiss compiled genealogies)
The following genealogies have been researched for Grub families:
Herzig family, by Julius Billeter (FHL Film 547,061; see also FHL Film 193,474)
Herzig family, by Julius Billeter (FHL Film 1,181,600; see also FHL Film 193,474)
Schläpfer family, by Julius Billeter (FHL Film 193,483)
Civil registration began in 1876. Grub belongs to the Vorderland Appenzell civil registration district. Records are only available in Switzerland. For further information, contact the civil registry office at:
Zivilstandsamt Vorderland Appenzell Ausserrhoden
St. Gallerstrasse 9
CH - 9038 Rehetobel
Tel: +41 71 878 70 20
The following surnames held citizenship in Grub prior to 1875:
The town's website (in German) can be found here.
Societies and Libraries
Cantonal Archive of Appenzell-Ausserrhoden (in German)
Registry of Appenzell-Ausserrhoden, by Mario von Moos