Halliwell St Paul, Lancashire

From FamilySearch Wiki

(Difference between revisions)
(tax)
(internal link)
Line 5: Line 5:
 
== Chapelry History  ==
 
== Chapelry History  ==
  
HALLIWELL, a village, a township, two chapelries, and a sub-district, in Deane parish, and Bolton district, Lancashire. The village stands 2 miles WNW of Bolton town and r. station; is a pleasant place; and has a postoffice ‡ under Bolton. The township comprises 2, 320 acres. Real property, £23, 939; of which £320 are in mines, and £84 in quarries. Pop. in 185, , 959; in 186, , 953. Houses, 1, 132. The increase of pop. arose from the erection of cotton mills. The property is much subdivided. The manor belonged formerly to the Radcliffes, the Bartons, the Fauconbergs, and the Byroms; and belongs now to the Ainsworths. Smithill's hall is the seat of Peter Ainsworth, Esq.; stands beside a lovely glen; and has, near the dining room, a natural discoloration resembling a human footprint, fabled to have been impressed, in 1555, by George Marsh, the martyr.- The township is named from an ancient holy well; it has fine views; and it contains great bleach works and fourteen large cotton mills.-The two chapelries are St. Paul and St. Peter; the former constituted in 1848, the latter in 1840, and both made ecclesiastically parochial in 1860. Pop. in 186, 2, 712 and 3, 241. Houses, 527 and 605. Pop. of St. Peter [which see under Halliwell St Peter]in 1865, , 350. The livings are vicarages in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £180* and £200. Patron of '''St. Paul''', R. H. Ainsworth, Esq.; of St. Peter, Trustees. The church of St. Paul was built in ''1848''; and that of St. Peter was built in 1838, rebuilt in 1844, is in the early English style, and has a tower. There are a donative chapel connected with Smithill's hall, three Wesleyan chapels, three working men's institutes, national schools, and a structure called the DeaneMill school, built at a cost of upwards of £, 000, and including free school, lecture room, and library.-The subdistrict includes also the township of Heaton. Acres, 3, 950. Pop., 6, 908. Houses, 1, 312.<ref>John Marius Wilson, ''Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales'' (1872).</ref>
+
HALLIWELL, a village, a township, two chapelries, and a sub-district, in [[Deane,_Lancashire|Deane parish]], and Bolton district, Lancashire. The village stands 2 miles WNW of Bolton town and r. station; is a pleasant place; and has a postoffice ‡ under Bolton. The township comprises 2, 320 acres. Real property, £23, 939; of which £320 are in mines, and £84 in quarries. Pop. in 185, , 959; in 186, , 953. Houses, 1, 132. The increase of pop. arose from the erection of cotton mills. The property is much subdivided. The manor belonged formerly to the Radcliffes, the Bartons, the Fauconbergs, and the Byroms; and belongs now to the Ainsworths. Smithill's hall is the seat of Peter Ainsworth, Esq.; stands beside a lovely glen; and has, near the dining room, a natural discoloration resembling a human footprint, fabled to have been impressed, in 1555, by George Marsh, the martyr.- The township is named from an ancient holy well; it has fine views; and it contains great bleach works and fourteen large cotton mills.-The two chapelries are St. Paul and St. Peter; the former constituted in 1848, the latter in 1840, and both made ecclesiastically parochial in 1860. Pop. in 186, 2, 712 and 3, 241. Houses, 527 and 605. Pop. of St. Peter [which see under Halliwell St Peter]in 1865, , 350. The livings are vicarages in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £180* and £200. Patron of '''St. Paul''', R. H. Ainsworth, Esq.; of St. Peter, Trustees. The church of St. Paul was built in ''1848''; and that of St. Peter was built in 1838, rebuilt in 1844, is in the early English style, and has a tower. There are a donative chapel connected with Smithill's hall, three Wesleyan chapels, three working men's institutes, national schools, and a structure called the DeaneMill school, built at a cost of upwards of £, 000, and including free school, lecture room, and library.-The subdistrict includes also the township of Heaton. Acres, 3, 950. Pop., 6, 908. Houses, 1, 312.<ref>John Marius Wilson, ''Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales'' (1872).</ref>
  
 
== Resources  ==
 
== Resources  ==

Revision as of 19:01, 17 September 2013

England Gotoarrow.png Lancashire Gotoarrow.png Lancashire Parishes

Guide to Halliwell St Paul, Lancashire family history and genealogy: chapelry register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.

Contents

Chapelry History

HALLIWELL, a village, a township, two chapelries, and a sub-district, in Deane parish, and Bolton district, Lancashire. The village stands 2 miles WNW of Bolton town and r. station; is a pleasant place; and has a postoffice ‡ under Bolton. The township comprises 2, 320 acres. Real property, £23, 939; of which £320 are in mines, and £84 in quarries. Pop. in 185, , 959; in 186, , 953. Houses, 1, 132. The increase of pop. arose from the erection of cotton mills. The property is much subdivided. The manor belonged formerly to the Radcliffes, the Bartons, the Fauconbergs, and the Byroms; and belongs now to the Ainsworths. Smithill's hall is the seat of Peter Ainsworth, Esq.; stands beside a lovely glen; and has, near the dining room, a natural discoloration resembling a human footprint, fabled to have been impressed, in 1555, by George Marsh, the martyr.- The township is named from an ancient holy well; it has fine views; and it contains great bleach works and fourteen large cotton mills.-The two chapelries are St. Paul and St. Peter; the former constituted in 1848, the latter in 1840, and both made ecclesiastically parochial in 1860. Pop. in 186, 2, 712 and 3, 241. Houses, 527 and 605. Pop. of St. Peter [which see under Halliwell St Peter]in 1865, , 350. The livings are vicarages in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £180* and £200. Patron of St. Paul, R. H. Ainsworth, Esq.; of St. Peter, Trustees. The church of St. Paul was built in 1848; and that of St. Peter was built in 1838, rebuilt in 1844, is in the early English style, and has a tower. There are a donative chapel connected with Smithill's hall, three Wesleyan chapels, three working men's institutes, national schools, and a structure called the DeaneMill school, built at a cost of upwards of £, 000, and including free school, lecture room, and library.-The subdistrict includes also the township of Heaton. Acres, 3, 950. Pop., 6, 908. Houses, 1, 312.[1]

Resources

Civil Registration

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths Lancashire BMD

Church records

Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection

Census records


Poor Law Unions

Bolton, Lancashire Poor Law Union

Probate records

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Taxation

Maps and Gazetteers

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Web sites

References

  1. John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1872).
  2. 2.0 2.1 J.P. Earwaker, Three Lancashire Subsidy Rolls, viz., for the Hundred of Salford, 1541, the Hundred of Salford, 1622 and the Hundred of Leyland, 1628, Together with a Recusant Roll for the Hundred of Leyland, in 1628 (London: Record Society of Lancashire and Cheshire, 1885). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free.