Halton, Lancashire

From FamilySearch Wiki

(Difference between revisions)
m
(25 intermediate revisions by 9 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
 
[[England]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Lancashire]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Lancashire Parishes]]  
 
[[England]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Lancashire]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Lancashire Parishes]]  
  
Also see the [http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.asp?display=titlefilmnotes&columns=*%2C0%2C0&titleno=676505&disp=Bishop%27s++transcripts++for++Halton++ Chapelry of Aughton, built in 1856] which lies within Halton Parish boundaries.  
+
Guide to '''Halton, Lancashire family history and genealogy:''' parish register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.  
  
[[Image:St_Wilfrid's_Church,_Halton_Lancashire.jpeg|thumb|right|Halton St Wilfrid]]
+
Also see the {{FHL|676505|title-id|disp=Chapelry of Aughton, built in 1856}} which lies within Halton Parish boundaries.
  
== Parish History  ==
+
[[Image:St Wilfrid's Church, Halton Lancashire.jpeg|thumb|right|St Wilfrid's Church, Halton Lancashire.jpeg]]
  
Halton St Wifrid is an Ancient Parish in the county of Lancashire.Other places in the parish include: Aughton.<br>
+
== Parish History  ==
  
The Diocese of Blackburn is a Church of England diocese, covering much of Lancashire, created in 1926 from part of the Diocese of Manchester. The Diocese includes the towns of Blackburn, Blackpool, Burnley, and the cities of Lancaster, and Preston, as well as a large part of the Ribble Valley.<br>  
+
Halton (St Wilfrid), is an ancient '''parish''' (operating by 1592) in the hundred of Lonsdale south of the Sands, N. division of Lancashire, 3 miles northeast by east from Lancaster containing, by 1856, the chapelry of Aughton as well. Halton had no fewer than twenty-two dependent townships.<ref>Lewis, Samuel A., ''[http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51000#s3 A Topographical Dictionary of England]'' (1848), pp. 383-387. Adapted. Date accessed:14 October 2013.</ref>  
  
 
The village consists primarily of modern housing, amongst which can be found a number of 17th and 18th century buildings. The 19th century Textile Mills once harnessed the power of the Lune. Earthworks on Castle Hill show evidence of an 11th century Norman motte &amp; bailey castle. In the churchyard of St Wilfrids stands the Halton Cross believed to have been carved by Norsemen over 1,000 years ago.  
 
The village consists primarily of modern housing, amongst which can be found a number of 17th and 18th century buildings. The 19th century Textile Mills once harnessed the power of the Lune. Earthworks on Castle Hill show evidence of an 11th century Norman motte &amp; bailey castle. In the churchyard of St Wilfrids stands the Halton Cross believed to have been carved by Norsemen over 1,000 years ago.  
  
 
Halton Castle was situated in the village of Halton. Halton was an important Anglo-Saxon manor held by Earl Tostig, the brother of King Harold before the Norman Conquest. It is likely that a motte and bailey castle was constructed on the site in the late 11th century. However Halton’s prominence was lost in the 12th century when favour shifted to Lancaster, and Halton Castle was abandoned. Only earthworks now remain and it is privately owned with no public right of way.  
 
Halton Castle was situated in the village of Halton. Halton was an important Anglo-Saxon manor held by Earl Tostig, the brother of King Harold before the Norman Conquest. It is likely that a motte and bailey castle was constructed on the site in the late 11th century. However Halton’s prominence was lost in the 12th century when favour shifted to Lancaster, and Halton Castle was abandoned. Only earthworks now remain and it is privately owned with no public right of way.  
 
<br>
 
 
HALTON (St. Wilfrid), a parish, in the hundred of Lonsdale south of the Sands, N. division of Lancashire, 3 miles (N. E. by E.) from Lancaster, on the mountain road to Kirkby-Lonsdale; containing, with the chapelry of Aughton, 694 inhabitants. A votive altar, for a body of Roman soldiers, discovered in the churchyard, would seem to indicate the immediate presence of the ancient conquerors in the neighbourhood. The manor was formerly of great extent. At the time of the Domesday survey, Halton had no fewer than twenty-two dependent townships, the property of the Saxon Earl Tosti; but the modern parish contains only those of Halton and Aughton. It is situated on the north bank of the Lune, and comprises 3738 acres, of which 1292 are arable, 2123 meadow and pasture, and 247 woodland. The surface is hilly; in the lower parts the soil is fertile and well-wooded, but a great portion of the rest is moorish: from the higher grounds are beautiful views of Lancaster town and castle, and Morecambe bay. There are several good stone-quarries, for building; and two cotton-mills are in operation. The Lancaster canal is carried over the valley by a magnificent aqueduct of seven arches. The sole right of the fishery on the Lune, for two miles here, from Escow beck to Denny beck (in the township of Quernmore), was granted in 1837 by the Queen to John Walmsley, Esq., of Richmond House, Lancaster. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £22. 0. 7½., and in the patronage of John Thompson, Esq., of Holme Island: the tithes have been commuted for £480. The body of the church is the third recorded erection on the site, and was built in 1792; the tower, a large square massive pile, is very ancient. In the churchyard stands a Saxon cross, mounted upon three steps: the sides are rudely carved with foliage, human figures, a cross, and a horse; and on the top is a dialplate, inscribed "For St. Wilfride church at Halton, 1635." Thomas Withers, in 1747, gave property now producing £11 a year for instruction. On inclosing Halton moor, an elegantly-chased silver cup, bearing leaves, and the figures of a bull and a panther, probably copied from a Roman vase, was disinterred. It had two ears, like the diota of the Romans, and was filled with nearly 800 silver coins of Canute, among which was a beah, or neck-collar of thin gold, having in high relief the figure of a lion: nothing was more common than the use of this kind of ornament, among the AngloSaxons.
 
 
From: ''A Topographical Dictionary of England'' by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 383-387. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51000 Date accessed: 01 July 2010.
 
  
 
== Resources  ==
 
== Resources  ==
Line 29: Line 23:
 
Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths [[Lancashire BMD]]<br>  
 
Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths [[Lancashire BMD]]<br>  
  
==== Lancashire Online Parish Clerks ====
+
==== Church records ====
  
An extremely useful resource for research in Lancashire Parishes http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/<br>
+
'''Online Records'''
  
<br>
+
The parish registers for Halton Parish and its attached chapelry of Aughton and its&nbsp;respective chapel registers&nbsp;have partly been transcribed and are available online at the following web sites and the specified range of years:
  
==== Church records  ====
+
{| width="305" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="1" border="1"
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffff" align="left" colspan="6" | '''AC''' = [http://search.ancestry.co.uk Ancestry.co.uk (£)]
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffff" align="left" colspan="6" | '''FMP''' = [http://www.findmypast.co.uk/content/sog/misc-series FindMyPast.co.uk (£)]
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffff" align="left" colspan="6" | '''FREG''' = [http://www.freereg.org.uk/cgi/Search.pl FreeReg]
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffff" align="left" colspan="6" | '''FS ''' = [http://familysearch.org FamilySearch.org]
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffff" align="left" colspan="6" | '''JOIN''' = [http://joinermarriageindex.co.uk/ Joiner's Marriage Index (£)]
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffff" align="left" colspan="6" | '''LBMD''' = [http://www.lancashirebmd.org.uk LancashireBMD.org.uk]
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffff" align="left" colspan="6" | '''LOPC''' = [http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/indexp.html Lancashire Online Parish Clerk]
 +
|}
 +
 
 +
{| width="500" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="1" border="1" align="center"
 +
|-
 +
! bgcolor="#ffffcc" align="center" scope="col" colspan="6" | HALTON ST&nbsp;WILFRID&nbsp;PARISH&nbsp;(1592) Indexes
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" align="center" |
 +
| bgcolor="#66ffcc" align="center" | <u>'''Baptisms'''</u>
 +
| bgcolor="#ffcccc" align="center" | <u>'''Marriages'''</u>
 +
| bgcolor="#ccffff" align="center" | <u>'''Burials'''</u>
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" | FS
 +
| bgcolor="#66ffcc" | [http://familysearch.org '''1592-1900''']
 +
| bgcolor="#ffcccc" | [http://familysearch.org '''1593-1900''']
 +
| bgcolor="#ccffff" | None
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" | LOPC
 +
| bgcolor="#66ffcc" | '''[http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Halton/index.html 1813-1900]'''
 +
| bgcolor="#ffcccc" | '''[http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Halton/index.html 1727-1900]'''
 +
| bgcolor="#ccffff" | '''[http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Halton/index.html 1813-1875]'''
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" | JOIN
 +
| bgcolor="#66ffcc" |
 +
| bgcolor="#ffcccc" | [http://joinermarriageindex.co.uk/ '''1813-1837''']
 +
| bgcolor="#ccffff" |
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" | AC
 +
| bgcolor="#66ffcc" | [http://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=5895 '''1592-1837''']
 +
| bgcolor="#ffcccc" | [http://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=5895 '''1592-1837''']
 +
| bgcolor="#ccffff" | [http://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=5895 '''1592-1837''']
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" align="center" colspan="4" | '''AUGHTON&nbsp;ST&nbsp;GEORGE&nbsp;Chapelry (1856)&nbsp;Indexes'''
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" |
 +
| bgcolor="#66ffcc" | <u>'''Baptisms'''</u>
 +
| bgcolor="#ffcccc" | '''<u></u>'''<u>'''Marriages'''</u>
 +
| bgcolor="#ccffff" | <u>'''Burials'''</u>
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" | FS
 +
| bgcolor="#66ffcc" | None
 +
| bgcolor="#ffcccc" | None
 +
| bgcolor="#ccffff" | None
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" | LOPC
 +
| bgcolor="#66ffcc" | None
 +
| bgcolor="#ffcccc" | None
 +
| bgcolor="#ccffff" | None
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" | AC
 +
| bgcolor="#66ffcc" | None
 +
| bgcolor="#ffcccc" | None
 +
| bgcolor="#ccffff" | None
 +
|}
 +
 
 +
'''Original Records''' <br>Original parish registers are preserved at the Lancashire Record Offfice, Bow Lane, in Preston, PR1 2RE.
 +
 
 +
Microfilmed copies of the original parish and chapelry (Aughton St George) registers are available&nbsp;through the Family History Library, Salt Lake City, UT, USA&nbsp;or through its&nbsp;4,600 satellite [https://familysearch.org/locations FamilySearch&nbsp;Centers] worldwide.
  
Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
+
Here is what's available:
  
 
Halton (Lancaster)- St Wilfrid<br>Baptisms Transcript-1592-1726- 929.3272 H6<br>Baptisms Transcript-1727-1837- 929.342769 Ha1<br>Burials Transcript-1592-1725- 929.3272 H6<br>Burials Transcript-1727-1837- 929.342769 Ha1<br>Marriage Index-1813-1837- Rossendale Fiche H10<br>Marriages Transcript-1593-1725- 929.3272 H6<br>Marriages Transcript-1727-1837- 929.342769 Ha1  
 
Halton (Lancaster)- St Wilfrid<br>Baptisms Transcript-1592-1726- 929.3272 H6<br>Baptisms Transcript-1727-1837- 929.342769 Ha1<br>Burials Transcript-1592-1725- 929.3272 H6<br>Burials Transcript-1727-1837- 929.342769 Ha1<br>Marriage Index-1813-1837- Rossendale Fiche H10<br>Marriages Transcript-1593-1725- 929.3272 H6<br>Marriages Transcript-1727-1837- 929.342769 Ha1  
Line 51: Line 116:
 
==== Census records  ====
 
==== Census records  ====
  
Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
+
{{British Census|306915}}
  
http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census
+
<br>
  
 
==== Poor Law Unions<br>  ====
 
==== Poor Law Unions<br>  ====
  
[[Caton_Gilbert_Union,Lancashire]]
+
[[Caton Gilbert Union,Lancashire]]  
  
 
==== Probate records<br>  ====
 
==== Probate records<br>  ====
  
 
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to [[Lancashire Probate Records|Lancashire Probate Records]] to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.  
 
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to [[Lancashire Probate Records|Lancashire Probate Records]] to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.  
 +
 +
==== Taxation  ====
 +
 +
*'''1665-1667''' - Lancashire Hearth Tax: Lonsdale Hundred, Halton. [http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/e179/default.asp E 179/132/352], The National Archives. Microfilm: {{FHL|988765|item|disp=FHL Film 2228692}}.
  
 
== Maps and Gazetteers<br>  ==
 
== Maps and Gazetteers<br>  ==
Line 72: Line 141:
 
== Web sites  ==
 
== Web sites  ==
  
Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.  
+
{{expand section|any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.}}
  
<br>
+
== References  ==
 +
 
 +
{{Reflist}} {{Lancashire}}
  
 
[[Category:Lancashire]]
 
[[Category:Lancashire]]

Revision as of 15:06, 14 October 2013

England Gotoarrow.png Lancashire Gotoarrow.png Lancashire Parishes

Guide to Halton, Lancashire family history and genealogy: parish register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.

Also see the Chapelry of Aughton, built in 1856 which lies within Halton Parish boundaries.

St Wilfrid's Church, Halton Lancashire.jpeg

Contents

Parish History

Halton (St Wilfrid), is an ancient parish (operating by 1592) in the hundred of Lonsdale south of the Sands, N. division of Lancashire, 3 miles northeast by east from Lancaster containing, by 1856, the chapelry of Aughton as well. Halton had no fewer than twenty-two dependent townships.[1]

The village consists primarily of modern housing, amongst which can be found a number of 17th and 18th century buildings. The 19th century Textile Mills once harnessed the power of the Lune. Earthworks on Castle Hill show evidence of an 11th century Norman motte & bailey castle. In the churchyard of St Wilfrids stands the Halton Cross believed to have been carved by Norsemen over 1,000 years ago.

Halton Castle was situated in the village of Halton. Halton was an important Anglo-Saxon manor held by Earl Tostig, the brother of King Harold before the Norman Conquest. It is likely that a motte and bailey castle was constructed on the site in the late 11th century. However Halton’s prominence was lost in the 12th century when favour shifted to Lancaster, and Halton Castle was abandoned. Only earthworks now remain and it is privately owned with no public right of way.

Resources

Civil Registration

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths Lancashire BMD

Church records

Online Records

The parish registers for Halton Parish and its attached chapelry of Aughton and its respective chapel registers have partly been transcribed and are available online at the following web sites and the specified range of years:

AC = Ancestry.co.uk (£)
FMP = FindMyPast.co.uk (£)
FREG = FreeReg
FS = FamilySearch.org
JOIN = Joiner's Marriage Index (£)
LBMD = LancashireBMD.org.uk
LOPC = Lancashire Online Parish Clerk
HALTON ST WILFRID PARISH (1592) Indexes
Baptisms Marriages Burials
FS 1592-1900 1593-1900 None
LOPC 1813-1900 1727-1900 1813-1875
JOIN 1813-1837
AC 1592-1837 1592-1837 1592-1837
AUGHTON ST GEORGE Chapelry (1856) Indexes
Baptisms Marriages Burials
FS None None None
LOPC None None None
AC None None None

Original Records
Original parish registers are preserved at the Lancashire Record Offfice, Bow Lane, in Preston, PR1 2RE.

Microfilmed copies of the original parish and chapelry (Aughton St George) registers are available through the Family History Library, Salt Lake City, UT, USA or through its 4,600 satellite FamilySearch Centers worldwide.

Here is what's available:

Halton (Lancaster)- St Wilfrid
Baptisms Transcript-1592-1726- 929.3272 H6
Baptisms Transcript-1727-1837- 929.342769 Ha1
Burials Transcript-1592-1725- 929.3272 H6
Burials Transcript-1727-1837- 929.342769 Ha1
Marriage Index-1813-1837- Rossendale Fiche H10
Marriages Transcript-1593-1725- 929.3272 H6
Marriages Transcript-1727-1837- 929.342769 Ha1

For original registers of above please enquire at Lancashire Record Office.

The Manchester Room and Greater Manchester County Record Office
Email: archiveslocalstudies@manchester.gov.uk

The Manchester Room@City Library (Local Studies)


Census records

Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 306915.


Poor Law Unions

Caton Gilbert Union,Lancashire

Probate records

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Taxation

Maps and Gazetteers

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Web sites

References

  1. Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 383-387. Adapted. Date accessed:14 October 2013.