Hamburg MinoritiesEdit This Page

From FamilySearch Wiki

(Difference between revisions)
 
(7 intermediate revisions by 4 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
 +
Back to [[Hamburg, Germany|Hamburg Page]]► <br>
 +
 +
== <br>Huguenots<br> ==
 +
 
Hamburg was one of the cities to take in Huguenots. Read a historical account here:  
 
Hamburg was one of the cities to take in Huguenots. Read a historical account here:  
  
 
http://www.sankt-ansgar-schule.de/images/912c4697c4b65d17f5dab6779b401ba2.pdf  
 
http://www.sankt-ansgar-schule.de/images/912c4697c4b65d17f5dab6779b401ba2.pdf  
  
<br>
+
Between 1572 and 1588 many Huguenots came from France and the Netherlands to Hamburg. They did not have the privilege to spread their religion within the city walls. The Earl of Holstein-Pinneberg granted them to build churches in Kleine Freiheit (city street). Here they heard sermons in French, Dutch and German. Because of language problems a separation within the parish was ordered. In 1716 the Hamburg parish was separated from the Altona parish and from the Hamburg parish the French speaking parish separated in 1761. The Hamburg senate issued religious freedom in 1785 which was fully recognized only in 1860. <br>  
 +
 
 +
The records of the Huguenots are housed in the Staatsarchiv Hamburg. The time frame is&nbsp;1685-1908 and covers births, confirmations, marriages and burials among others.
 +
 
 +
== Mennonites  ==
 +
 
 +
The first Mennonites came from The Netherlands to Hamburg in 1570. At first the newly arrived received preaching privileges in Altona. They were able to build a church. Until 1682 three Mennonite parishes existed simultaneously. From 1726 on the Mennonites employed full-time ministers. Around 1800 the sermons were preached in German. In 1814 the Mennonites received full residental privileges mainly in Altona.
  
Their records are housed in the Staatsarchiv Hamburg.  
+
The records of the Mennonites are housed in the Staatsarchiv Hamburg. The time frame covered is 1550 and 1620-1983. The records are varied with vital records among them.  
  
521-3 Französisch-Reformierte Gemeinde<br>1685-1908; 1,5 m; Bestandsverzeichnis<br>Zwischen 1572 und 1588 kamen zahlreiche Calvinisten aus Frankreich und den Niederlanden<br>nach Hamburg. Da ihnen in der Stadt die Religionsausübung untersagt wurde,<br>erhielten sie vom Grafen von Holstein-Pinneberg d ie Erlaubnis, Pred igthäuser und<br>Pastorat auf der Kleinen Freiheit zu errichten. Hier wurde deutsch, niederländisch und<br>französisch gepredigt. 1686 wurde aufgrund von Spannungen in der Gemeinde eine<br>Trennung nach den Sprachen verfügt. 1716 wurde die Hamburger von der Altonaer<br>Gemeinde abgetrennt; von der Hamburger Gemeinde trennte sich wiederum 1761 der<br>französische Teil. 1785 wurde vom Senat die Konzession zur freien Religionsausübung<br>erteilt, 1860 die volle Religionsfreiheit wirksam. 1963 bildete sich die<br>Nichtlutherische und freikirchlich-lutherische christliche Gemeinden 333<br>Evangelisch-reformierte Stadtsynode und 1976 schlossen sich die drei Gemeinden<br>wieder zusammen.<br>Von der Französisch-Reformierten Gemeinde sind neben den Konsistorialprotokollen<br>und einem Briefkopiebuch die Rechnungsbücher der Kirchenältesten bzw. Diakonen<br>und Kassenbücher, dann aber vor allem die Tauf-, Konfirmations-, Heirats- und Beerdigungsregister<br>überliefert. - Das umfangreiche Schriftgut der Deutsch-Evangelisch-<br>Reformierten Gemeinde gliedert sich in: Gemeinde im Allgemeinen, Leitung und<br>Beamte der Gemeinde, Gottesdienst und Gemeindeleben, Kirchenbücher, Gebäude,<br>Begräbnisplätze, Einkünfte und Schulwesen.<br>(LS)<br>521-4 Deutsch-Evangelisch-Reformierte Gemeinde<br>1588-1947; 16,0 m; Bestandsverzeichnis<br>s. 521-3<br>521-5 Mennonitengemeinde<br>1550,1620-1983; 9,3 m; Bestandsverzeichnis<br>Die ersten Mennoniten kam um 1570 aus den Niederlanden nach Hamburg. Zuerst<br>erhielten die in Altona ansässig Gewordenen das Recht zur Gottesdienstausübung; dort<br>konnte in der Großen Freiheit auch eine Kirche gebaut werden. Bis 1682 gab es drei<br>Mennonitengemeinden nebeneinander. Seit 1726 unterhielt die Gemeinde h auptamtliche<br>Prediger. Erst um 1800 setzte sich Deutsch als Gottesdienstsprache durch. Die<br>bürgerliche Gleichstellung erreichten die Hamburger Mennoniten 1814. Der Schwerpunkt<br>blieb aber Altona, wo 1914-1915 eine neue Kirche in der Mennonitenstraße<br>gebaut wurde.<br>Der umfangreiche Best. gliedert sich in Gemeindevorstand, Pastoren und Gemeindebedienstete,<br>Steuern und Abgaben, Archiv und Bibliothek, Rechnungsführung, Liegenschaften<br>und Hypotheken, Bauten und Siedlungen, Personenstandswesen, Sozialwesen<br>und Stiftungen, Beziehungen zu anderen Religionsgemeinschaften, Auswärtige Gemeinden,<br>Schriftgut mennonitischer Familien sowie Predigten und Vorträge.<br>Hinweis: 424-88/50 van der Smissen<br>(LS)<br>521-6 Kirche des English Court<br>1617-1807; 0,2 m; Bestandsverzeichnis<br>Die Kirche der in einem "court" (Hof) organisierten "Merchants Adventurers" in Hamburg<br>war eine
+
{{Hamburg, Germany}}
  
[[Category:Hamburg]]
+
[[Category:Hamburg,_Germany]]

Latest revision as of 15:40, 15 March 2013

Back to Hamburg Page


Huguenots

Hamburg was one of the cities to take in Huguenots. Read a historical account here:

http://www.sankt-ansgar-schule.de/images/912c4697c4b65d17f5dab6779b401ba2.pdf

Between 1572 and 1588 many Huguenots came from France and the Netherlands to Hamburg. They did not have the privilege to spread their religion within the city walls. The Earl of Holstein-Pinneberg granted them to build churches in Kleine Freiheit (city street). Here they heard sermons in French, Dutch and German. Because of language problems a separation within the parish was ordered. In 1716 the Hamburg parish was separated from the Altona parish and from the Hamburg parish the French speaking parish separated in 1761. The Hamburg senate issued religious freedom in 1785 which was fully recognized only in 1860.

The records of the Huguenots are housed in the Staatsarchiv Hamburg. The time frame is 1685-1908 and covers births, confirmations, marriages and burials among others.

Mennonites

The first Mennonites came from The Netherlands to Hamburg in 1570. At first the newly arrived received preaching privileges in Altona. They were able to build a church. Until 1682 three Mennonite parishes existed simultaneously. From 1726 on the Mennonites employed full-time ministers. Around 1800 the sermons were preached in German. In 1814 the Mennonites received full residental privileges mainly in Altona.

The records of the Mennonites are housed in the Staatsarchiv Hamburg. The time frame covered is 1550 and 1620-1983. The records are varied with vital records among them.


 

Need wiki, indexing, or website help? Contact our product teams.


Did you find this article helpful?

You're invited to explain your rating on the discussion page (you must be signed in).

  • This page was last modified on 15 March 2013, at 15:40.
  • This page has been accessed 1,413 times.