Hampden County, Massachusetts GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Hampden County, Massachusetts|
Location in the state of Massachusetts
Location of Massachusetts in the U.S.
|Founded||25 February, 1812|
|Address|| Hampden County Courthouse|
50 State Street;
Springfield, MA 01103
Hampden County Website
- In 1997, the county governments of Hampden, Berkshire, Essex, Hampden and Worcester were abolished.
- Their functions were turned over to state agencies.
- Sheriffs in these counties still administer jails but their employees are state employees.
- The legislation to abolish these county governments transferred Registeries of Deeds to the jurisdiction of the Secretary of the Commonwealth.
- Bristol, Dukes, Nantucket, Norfolk, Plymouth and Suffolk county governments remain substantially unchanged.
Clerk Courts has divorce records 1812-1932 and court records;
Probate Judge has probate records; Register of Deeds has land records
Towns Organized Before 1800:
West Springfield 1774,
Places / Localities
For tips on accessing Hampden County, Massachusetts Genealogy census records online, see: Massachusetts Census.
1855 Massachusetts State Census—a free searchable index and images to the 1855 Massachusetts State Census can be viewed on the FamilySearch Record Search. This index includes every name listed on the census and is linked to an image including information about each person’s residence and age in 1855, birthplace, occupation, other family members, and neighbors.
1865 Massachusetts State Census—a free searchable index and images to the 1865 Massachusetts State Census can be viewed on the FamilySearch Record Search This index includes every name listed on the census and is linked to an image including information about each person’s residence and age in 1865, birthplace, occupation, other family members, and neighbors.
- Court Records, Book A - via the Internet Archive
Newspaperarchive.com ($) has historical newspapers available on-line. Their database has North Adams, MA newspapers (1895-1977) and Pittsfield, MA newspapers (1858-1977) covering local news that included Hampden County residents.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- The Hampden County MAGenWeb Project, an member of The MAGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Hampden County
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Hampden County (backup site)
- FamilySearch.org Family History Library catalog for Hampden County
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists : United States of America, 10th ed., (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002)Hampden County, Massachusetts, p.329.
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), 181. [FHL book 973 D27e 2002].
|This Massachusetts-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.