Hancock County, West VirginiaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Hancock County West Virginia genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Hancock County, West Virginia|
Location in the state of West Virginia
Location of West Virginia in the U.S.
|Founded||January 15, 1848|
|County Seat||New Cumberland|
|Address|| Hancock County Courthouse|
P O Box 367
New Cumberland, WV 26047
Hancock County Website
- County Clerk has birth, marriage, death probate and land records from 1848
- Clerk Circuit Clerk has divorce records
See an interactive map of Hancock County boundary changes.
Places / Localities
- Beaver County, Pennsylvania
- Columbiana County, Ohio
- Jefferson County, Ohio
- Washington County, Pennsylvania
For tips on accessing Hancock County, West Virginia census records online, see: West Virginia Census.
Go here for general Military Records of West Virginia
- - 1st Regiment, West Virginia Infantry. Company I.
Hancock County, West Virginia Wills 1853-1917
Online West Virginia Tax site
West Virginia real and personal property tax records are managed by the County Assessor in each county. Land and land improvements are considered real property while mobile property is classified as personal property.
Many County Assessors offer an online searchable database, where assessment record searches can be performed by name, account number, year, or mp/parcel number. Where online records are not available, requests for records can be made to the Assessment Office in person, by phone, or in writing.
The search for tax information can start here
- West Virginia Vital Records - Birth - Death - Marriages. Includes marriages 1854-1873, 1880-1971 - free.
Societies and Libraries
Tri-State Genealogical and Historical Society
P O Box 454
Newell, West Virginia 26050-0454
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Hancock County, West Virginia. Page 743 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
|This West Virginia-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More