Handcart PioneersEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Between 1856 and 1860 nearly 3,000 emigrants from the The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints joined ten handcart companies--about 650 handcarts total--and walked to Utah from Iowa City, Iowa, (a distance of 1,300 miles) or from Florence, Nebraska (1,030 miles). Among these courageous handcart pioneers were cobblers, factory workers, farmers, fisherman, and aristocrats. Swiss, Danish, Scottish, Norwegian, Welsh, and English immigrants; they often didn’t share the same language. However they did share the same desire, to reach the Rocky Mountains and live among the members of their newfound church. This was, according to historian LeRoy Hafen, "the most remarkable travel experiment in the history of Western America."   See also Mormon Trail and LDS Emigration and Immigration.
|Handcart Company||Captain|| Left
|Individuals||Died en route|| Arrived|
Salt Lake City
|First||Edmund Ellsworth||20 Jul 1856||274||13||26 Sep 1856|
|Second||Daniel D. McArthur||24 Jul 1856||221||7||26 Sep 1856|
|Edward Bunker||30 Jul 1856||320||< 7||2 Oct 1856|
|Forth/Willie||James G. Willie||17 Aug 1856||~404||68||9 Nov 1856|
|Fifth/Martin||Edward Martin||27 Aug 1856||576||>145||30 Nov 1856|
|Sixth||Israel Evans||20 Jun 1857||149||(0)||11 Sep 1857|
|Christian Christiansen||15 Jul 1857||~330||~6||13 Sep 1857|
|Eighth||George Rowley||9 Jun 1859||235||~5||4 Sep 1859|
|Ninth||Daniel Robison||6 Jun 1860||233||1||27 Aug 1860|
|Tenth||Oscar O. Stoddard||6 Jul 1860||124||0||24 Sep 1860|
- The Divine Handcart Plan
- Handcarts to Zion 
- Painters of the Wasatch Mountains
- The Rocky Mountain Saints 
- 1848-1868 Companies
- Martin Company: Mormon Pioneers Used Handcarts to Trek to Salt Lake City
- Pioneer Voices
- Some Must Push and Some Must Pull
- They Came By Handcart
- They Walked 1,300 Miles
- ↑ LeRoy R. and Ann W. Hafen, Handcarts to Zion: The Story of a Unique Western Migration, 1856-1860 (1960);
- ↑ Wallace Stegner, The Gathering of Zion: The Story of the Mormon Trail (1964).
- ↑ Le Roy Reuben Hafen, Ann W. Hafen, Handcarts to Zion: The Story of a Unique Western Migration, 1856-1860 (1960)
- ↑ Thomas B. H. Stenhouse The Rocky Mountain Saints: A Full and Complete History of the Mormons, from the First Vision of Joseph Smith to the Last Courtship of Brigham Young...and the Development of the Great Mineral Wealth of the Territory of Utah Published by D. Appleton and company, 1873, 761 pages
- This page was last modified on 19 July 2011, at 15:18.
- This page has been accessed 5,961 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback