Handley, Dorset GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
HANDLEY (St. Mary), a village and a parish in Wimborne district, Dorset. The village stands near the boundary with Wilts, 5 miles NW of Cranborne, and 10 NE of Blandford r. station.. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
Also known as Sixpenny Handley Parish.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241340.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Dorset Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ Wilson, John M., Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales publ. London and Edinburgh: 1870
- ↑ Dorset, England, Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1538-1812, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Partially indexed.
- ↑ Dorset, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Partially indexed.
- ↑ Dorset, England, Marriages and Banns, 1813-1921, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Partially indexed.
- ↑ Dorset, England, Deaths and Burials, 1813-2001, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Partially indexed.
- ↑ 'Vital Records Index - British Isles - Collection List,' British Isles Vital Records Index, 2nd ed., hosted at Genoot, accessed 14 April 2012.
- ↑ 'Search Marriage Records in Dorset,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 4 July 2012.
- ↑ 'Dorset Marriages,' Find My Past, accessed 28 July 2012.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News