Harnett County, North Carolina GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This North Carolina-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
|Harnett County, North Carolina|
Location in the state of North Carolina
Location of North Carolina in the U.S.
|Founded||February 7, 1855|
Harnett County Courthouse
729 S Main Street P O Box 279
Lillington, NC 27546
Register of deeds has birth, marriage and land land rec
Clerk Superior Court has divorce, probate and court records from 1920
records from 1855-1920 were destroyed in a fire
1892, 1894--Courthouse fires destroyed court records and many of the land records.
- Harnett Cemeteries Database - online database from the Harnett public library. Change "database type" to "Obituary." Includes approximately 20 years of burial information, including some obituaries.
- Harnett County Cemteries - NCGenWeb
- Harnett County Cemteries - NCGenWeb Archives
- Find-A-Grave: Harnett County Cemeteries
For tips on accessing Harnett County, North Carolina Genealogy census records online, see: North Carolina Census.
Civil War Battle
The following Civil War battle was fought in Harnett County.
- March 16, 1865 = Averasborough, also known as Taylor’s Hole Creek, Smithville, Smiths Ferry, or Black River
- Map showing Civil War battles in North Carolina.
Civil War Confederate units
Brief history, counties where recruited, etc.
- Search Birth, Marriage & Death certificates at the Harnett County Register of Deeds website. Uncertified copies can be ordered for a fee (see website for details).
- Campbell University: 1912-2009
- Harnett county students at North Carolina colleges - a list from the NCGenWeb Yearbook Index
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Harnett County, North Carolina. Page 509 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Heritage Preservation Services, Civil War Battle Summaries by State, (accessed 8 August, 2012)