Harpurhey, Lancashire Genealogy

From FamilySearch Wiki

(Difference between revisions)
m (Text replace - ' A Topographical Dictionary of England ' to ' ''A Topographical Dictionary of England'' ')
Line 1: Line 1:
 
[[England]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Lancashire]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Lancashire Parishes]]  
 
[[England]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Lancashire]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Lancashire Parishes]]  
  
[[Image:Harpurhey Christ Church contributor David Dixon.jpg|thumb|right|Harpurhey Christ Church contributor David Dixon]]<br>  
+
[[Image:Harpurhey Christ Church contributor David Dixon.jpg|thumb|right]]<br>
  
 
== Chapelry History  ==
 
== Chapelry History  ==
  
HARPURHEY, a township, in the parish of Manchester, hundred of Salford, S. division of Lancashire, 2½ miles (N. N. E.) from Manchester, on the road to Rochdale; containing 438 inhabitants. It stands elevated, with an undulated surface; the soil is clay and peat, and there is a sandstone-quarry. The Queen's Park, of 35 acres' extent, one of the public parks of Manchester, is in the township: it was opened in 1846. In the village is a silk-mill. The river Irk separates Harpurhey from Crumpsall. The Hall is the seat of John Barrett, Esq.; and Green-Mount Hall, that of Charles F. Thompson, Esq. The ecclesiastical district of Harpurhey is eight miles in circumference, and comprises the whole of this township and the township of Moston, and part of Collihurst; having a population of 3500. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of five Trustees; income, £170, with a house. The church is in the early English style, with a square tower and a spire, and was built in ''1838'', at a cost of £4000. In connexion with the Church are five schools. On the road to Manchester is the General Cemetery, occupying nearly eleven acres: it was opened in September 1837; is beautifully arranged; and is for all denominations.—See Manchester.  
+
HARPURHEY, a township with '''a district chapel''','''''in the parish of Manchester''''', hundred of Salford, S. division of Lancashire, 2½ miles north by northeast&nbsp;&nbsp;of&nbsp;Manchester, on the road to Rochdale.&nbsp;The ecclesiastical district of Harpurhey is eight miles in circumference, and comprises the whole of this township and the township of Moston, and part of Collihurst.&nbsp;The chapel&nbsp;was built in ''1838''. Near here and on the road to Manchester is the General Cemetery,&nbsp;opened in September 1837 and&nbsp;is&nbsp;for all denominations.<ref>Lewis, Samuel A., ''[[A Topographical Dictionary of England]]'' (1848), pp. 413-416. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51008 Date accessed: 01 July 2010.</ref>—See also Manchester.  
 
+
From: 'Harlow - Harraton', ''[[A Topographical Dictionary of England]]'' (1848), pp. 413-416. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51008 Date accessed: 01 July 2010.  
+
  
 
Harpurhey&nbsp; Christ Church is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Lancashire, created in 1844 from&nbsp; [[Manchester Our Lady, St George and St Denys, Lancashire]]&nbsp; Ancient Parish.  
 
Harpurhey&nbsp; Christ Church is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Lancashire, created in 1844 from&nbsp; [[Manchester Our Lady, St George and St Denys, Lancashire]]&nbsp; Ancient Parish.  
  
Other places in the parish include: Moston. <br><br>  
+
Other places in the parish include: Moston. <br><br>
  
 
== Resources  ==
 
== Resources  ==
Line 27: Line 25:
 
==== Census records  ====
 
==== Census records  ====
  
{{Expand section|any unique information, such as ''the census for X year was destroyed''}}
+
{{Expand section|any unique information, such as ''the census for X year was destroyed''}}  
  
http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census<br>  
+
http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census<br>
  
 
==== Poor Law Unions  ====
 
==== Poor Law Unions  ====
Line 35: Line 33:
 
[[Prestwich Poor Law Union]]  
 
[[Prestwich Poor Law Union]]  
  
==== Probate records<br> ====
+
==== Probate records<br> ====
  
 
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to [[Lancashire Probate Records|Lancashire Probate Records]] to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.  
 
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to [[Lancashire Probate Records|Lancashire Probate Records]] to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.  
  
== Maps and Gazetteers<br> ==
+
== Maps and Gazetteers<br> ==
  
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.<br>  
+
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.<br>
  
 
*[http://maps.familysearch.org/ England Jurisdictions 1851]  
 
*[http://maps.familysearch.org/ England Jurisdictions 1851]  
Line 50: Line 48:
 
Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.  
 
Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.  
  
<br>  
+
== Reference<br> ==
 +
 
 +
{{Reflist}}
  
 
[[Category:Lancashire]]
 
[[Category:Lancashire]]

Revision as of 22:07, 8 March 2012

England Gotoarrow.png Lancashire Gotoarrow.png Lancashire Parishes

Harpurhey Christ Church contributor David Dixon.jpg

Contents

Chapelry History

HARPURHEY, a township with a district chapel,in the parish of Manchester, hundred of Salford, S. division of Lancashire, 2½ miles north by northeast  of Manchester, on the road to Rochdale. The ecclesiastical district of Harpurhey is eight miles in circumference, and comprises the whole of this township and the township of Moston, and part of Collihurst. The chapel was built in 1838. Near here and on the road to Manchester is the General Cemetery, opened in September 1837 and is for all denominations.[1]—See also Manchester.

Harpurhey  Christ Church is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Lancashire, created in 1844 from  Manchester Our Lady, St George and St Denys, Lancashire  Ancient Parish.

Other places in the parish include: Moston.

Resources

Civil Registration

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths Lancashire BMD

Church records

Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection

Census records

http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census

Poor Law Unions

Prestwich Poor Law Union

Probate records

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Maps and Gazetteers

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Web sites

Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.

Reference

  1. Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 413-416. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51008 Date accessed: 01 July 2010.