Harris County, Texas GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This Texas-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
1836--Harris County was created 17 March 1836 from Old Mexican Municipality. County seat: Houston 
See an interactive map of Harris County border changes.
Places / Localities
Baytown | Bellaire | Bunker Hill Village | Deer Park | El Lago | Fairbanks | Galena Park | Hedwig Village | Hilshire Village | Houston | Humble | Hunters Creek Village | Jacinto City | Jersey Village | Katy (partly in Fort Bend and Waller Counties) | La Porte | Morgans Point | Nassau Bay | Pasadena | Piney Point Village | Seabrook | Shore Acres | South Houston | Southside Place | Spring Valley Village | Taylor Lake Village | Tomball | Webster | West University Place
At Rest: A Historical Directory of Harris County, Texas Cemeteries (1822-2001) Including Burial Customs and Other Interesting Facts, With a Listing of Past and Present Communities, Funeral Homes and Monument Companies, by Trevia Wooster Beverly, Houston: Tejas Publications & Research, c. 1995; 2001.
- Alief Cemetery, Houston
- Crosby Cemetery, Barrett Of the three cemeteries on the north side FM 1942, this is the furthest back from the road being the furthest north of the three. All are in the Google map image shown.
- Rice University Yearbooks: 1916-1935
Texas Counties Map. Click on the county to go to the TXGenWeb site
- Houston Chronicle Newspaper
- Kingwood Observer Obituary Index 1993-2008
- Newspaperarchive.com ($) has historical newspapers available on-line. Their database has Texas newspapers including Galveston from the early 1800's.
- Texas Deaths, 1890-1976 (FamilySearch) - The name index was created by FamilySearch and is tied to images of the Texas death certificates. Few certificates are available prior to 1903 and in many counties prior to 1910. Fold3.com also has Texas Deaths, 1890-1976 ($) available online.
- Texas Death Index, 1964-1998 (FamilySearch) - Index to Texas statewide death certificates covering 4 million deaths since 1964.
Societies and Libraries
- Clayton Library Center for Genealogical Research
Houston, Texas Part of the Houston Public Library system it is on its own two full city block complex with multiple buildings. One of the nations' "top ten," and the "jewel" in Houston's genealogy crown.
- Baytown Historical Preservation Association
PO Box 1244
Baytown TX 77522-1244.
Living History Museum Complex at the Republic of Texas Plaza
5117 North Main St.
- Humble Area Genealogical Society
Following ancestral footsteps in and around Atascocita, Crosby, Huffman, Kingwood, New Caney, Porter, Splendora, and Humble, Texas.
- Chaparral Genealogical Society
310 North Live Oak
P.O. Box 606, Tomball, TX. 77377-0606
Library Hours: Mon.- Wed. 10-2 Sat. 10-2
Closed 4th Sat. of every month.
- Atascocita-Kingwood Genealogical Society
Family History Centers
- Introduction to LDS Family History Centers
- Baytown Texas Family History Center
- Clear Lake Texas Family History Center (Houston)
- Houston Texas Family History Center
- Houston Texas North Family History Center
- Katy Texas Family History Center
- Kingwood Texas Family History Center
- Klein Texas Family History Center
- Pasadena Texas Family History Center
- Pine Trails Texas Family History Center (Houston)
- Shadowdale Texas Family History Center (Houston)
- Tomball Texas Family History Center
- Harris County Family History and Genealogy, a part of the TXGenWeb and USGenWeb projects.
- TXGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the county
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).