Harrison County, Ohio GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Harrison County Ohio genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Harrison County, Ohio|
Location of Ohio in the U.S.
|Address|| Harrison County Courthouse|
100 West Market Street
Cadiz, Ohio 43907
Harrison County Website
|Beginning dates for major county records|
|*For earlier dates, try... Church | Obituaries | Cemeteries|
- Parent Counties: Formed from Jefferson and Tuscarawas Counties 2 January 1813.
- County Seat: Cadiz
- Neighboring Counties: Harrison County, Ohio Genealogy residents may also have records in Carroll (north) · Belmont (south) · Guernsey (southwest) · Jefferson (east) · Tuscarawas (west)
See an interactive map of Harrison County boundary changes.
Business Records and Commerce
Cemetery records often reveal birth, marriage, death, relationship, military, and religious information.
|Online Grave Transcripts||Published Grave Transcripts||County Cemetery Directories|
See Ohio Cemeteries for more information.
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
Land and Property
- Civil War
Civil War service men from Morgan County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Morgan County.
- - 98th Regiment, Ohio Infantry, Companies C and F
Naturalization and Citizenship
Harrison County Courthouse
100 W Market Street
Cadiz, OH 43907-1132
Clerk Court has divorce and court records from 1813;
Probate Judge has birth records to 1917, marriage and
probate records; County Health Office has birth records
from 1917, death and burial records; County Recorder
has land records
Family History Centers
Vital records consist of birth, death, marriage and divorce records. Although Ohio enacted a statute in 1856 -1857 requiring registration of births, deaths and marriages, many counties did not comply. A second law was written in 1867 but, again, was not always followed. By 1908, the law was more clearly defined and kept. Any existing birth and death records from 1867 through December 19, 1908 are located at the Harrison County, Ohio Genealogy Probate Court. The Ohio Department of Health has birth records filed after December 20, 1908 and death records filed after January 1, 1954 while the Ohio Historical Society houses death records from December 20, 1908 through December 31, 1953.
Ohio Deaths, 1908-1953 Free name indexes and images at FamilySearch. Records include such information as birth date of deceased, city, county, and state of death, name of spouse if married, names of parents, maiden name of mother, name of informant, if deceased was single, married, windowed or divorced, occupation of deceased.
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), [FHL book 973 D27e 2002].
- ↑ Wikipedia contributors, "Harrison County, Ohio" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harrison_County,_Ohio (accessed 10 May 2012).
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More