Harrison County, West Virginia GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Harrison County, West Virginia|
Location in the state of West Virginia
Location of West Virginia in the U.S.
301 W Main Street
Clarksburg, WV 26301-2909
- County Clerk has birth and death records from 1853
- Marriage Records from 1784
- Probate Record from 1788
- Land Records from 1786
- Harrison County Chamber of Commerce
See an interactive map of Harrison County boundary changes.
Places / Localities
Obituaries Harrison County, West Virginia
For tips on accessing Harrison County, West Virginia Genealogy census records online, see: West Virginia Census.
- Harrison County Heads of Families - 1785 at U.S. Census Bureau - free. County begins on page 90.
LDS Ward and Branch Records
- [Criss] Johnston, Aaron Montgomery. Ancestors and Descendants of James and Althea (Loose) Johnston and Allied Families: Bennett, Criss, Gay, Loose, Maitland, Montgomery, Palm and Round. Knoxville, Tenn., 1983. FHL Book 929.273 J644j.
- [Cunningham] Newman, Betty Cunningham. Adam and 500 More Cunninghams of the Valley of Virginia, c.1734-c.1800. Bowie, Md.: Heritage Books, Inc., 2000. FHL Book 929.273 C917n.
- [Dennison] Dennison, Edmund and Karl C. Priest. Baptized on the 4th of July: The Elder Edmund Dennison Story. South Charleston, W. Va.: K.C. Priest, 1995. FHL.
- [Hacker] “A Noted Mason Dead: The Demise of William Hacker at a Ripe Old Age,” [Newspaper obituary] (Shelbyville, Ohio), 29 July 1891, reprinted in Hacker’s Creek Journal, Vol. 6, No. 1 (Fall 1987):31-32 - free digital version at Hacker's Creek website.
- [Mills] Hackett, John Davis and Kathryn Dickerson Shannon. "Mills Families of Virginia," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 35, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1991):215-228; Vol. 35, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 1991):284-296; Vol. 36, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 1992):34-48; Vol. 36, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1992):109-119. Digital version at American Ancestors ($). FHL Book 975.5 B2vg v. 35 (1991)-v. 36 (1992).
- [Prunty] Wassenaar, Ardyth. Memoirs and Geneology of the Prunty Family. Seattle, Wash.: A. Wassenaar, 1984? FHL Book 929.273 P953w.
- [Swisher] Swisher, Robert Edward. The Swisher Family of Harrison and Lewis Counties, West Virginia. Richmond, Va.: Whittet & Shepperson, 1974. FHL Book 929.273 Sw65r.
- A Census of Pensioners for Revolutionary or Military Services: With their Names, Ages, and Places of Residence, as Returned by the Marshalls of the Several Judicial Districts, Under the Act for Taking the Sixth Census]. 1841. Digital versions at U.S. Census Bureau and Google Books et. al. 1967 reprint: FHL Collection 973 X2pc 1840. [See Virginia, Western District, Harrison County on page 134.]
- Rejected or Suspended Applications for Revolutionary War Pensions. Washington, D.C., 1852. Reprinted by Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 1969, and 1991. Reprints include "an Added Index to States." FHL Collection 973 M24ur; digital version at Ancestry ($). [Includes veterans from this county; Virginia section begins on page 238.]
War of 1812
Harrison County men served in the 11th and 119th Regiments.
West Virginia, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865
West Virginia, Naturalization Records, 1814-1991
Clarksburg Exponent Telegram
P. O. Box 2000
Clarksburg, WV 26302
Shinnston News & Harrison County Journal
P.O. Box 187
Shinnston, WV 26431
The Bridgeport News
1400 Johnson Ave Suite 21
Bridgeport, WV 26330
- Cutten, George Barton. The Silversmiths of Virginia (together with Watchmakers and Jewelers) from 1694 to 1850. Richmond, Va.: The Dietz Press, Incorporated, 1952. FHL Collection. [Includes a section on Clarksburg silversmiths.]
Harrison County, West Virginia Will Books 1822 - 1970
West Virginia Will Books
- [1754-1800] Harrison County, [West] Virginia Tithable Lands: 1754-1800. Extracts in the West Virginia Collection at the West Virginia University Library, Morgantown, West Virginia; also available on microfilm at FHL.
- [1784-1824] Harrison County, [West] Virginia Tithable List, 1784-1824. Original records, Harrison County Courthouse; also available on microfilm at FHL.
-  Schreiner-Yantis, Netti and Florene Speakman Love. The 1787 Census of Virginia: An Accounting of the Name of Every White Male Tithable Over 21 Years, the Number of White Males Between 16 & 21 Years, the Number of Slaves over 16 & Those Under 16 Years, Together with a Listing of Their Horses, Cattle & Carriages, and Also the Names of All Persons to Whom Ordinary Licenses and Physician's Licenses Were Issued. 3 vols. Springfield, Va.: Genealogical Books in Print, 1987. Available at FHL. [The source of this publication is the 1787 personal property tax list. Harrison County is included in Vol. 1.]
-  Indexed images of the 1789 Personal Property Tax List of Harrison County, Virginia (now West Virginia) is indexed online, courtesy: Binns Genealogy.
-  Images of the 1801 Personal Property Tax List of Harrison County, Virginia (now West Virginia) are available online, courtesy: Binns Genealogy.
-  Ward, Roger D. 1815 Directory of Virginia Landowners (and Gazetteer). 6 vols. Athens, Georgia: Iberian Pub. Co., 1997-2000. Available at FHL. [The source for this publication is the 1815 land tax. Harrison County is included in Vol. 6.]
Societies and Libraries
Hackers Creek Pioneers Descendants Inc
c/c Central West Virginia
Genealogy & Historical Library
P O Box 56
Horner, West Virginia 26372-0056
Family History Centers
Townships and Cities
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Cyndi's List for West Virginia
- Harrison County, West Virginia Wikipedia
- Harrison County West Virginia Archives WVGENWeb Site
- Harrison County, West Virginia Microfilms at the Library of Virginia
- Harrison Family Histories and Biographies
- Harrison County, Photo Album
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Stuart Lee Butler, A Guide to Virginia Militia Units in the War of 1812 (Athens, Ga.: Iberian Pub. Co., 1988), 104. FHL Book 975.5 M2bs.