Haverthwaite, Lancashire

From FamilySearch Wiki

(Difference between revisions)
m (Text replace - '''A Topographical Dictionary of England''' to '''A Topographical Dictionary of England''')
Line 1: Line 1:
 
[[England]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Lancashire]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Lancashire Parishes]]  
 
[[England]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Lancashire]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Lancashire Parishes]]  
  
[[Image:Haverthwaite_St_Anne_contributor_Alexander_P_Kapp.jpg|thumb|right|Haverthwaite St Anne contributor Alexander P Kapp]]
+
[[Image:Haverthwaite St Anne contributor Alexander P Kapp.jpg|thumb|right]]  
  
 
== Chapelry History  ==
 
== Chapelry History  ==
  
Haverthwaite St Anne was created a chapelry in 1826, lying within the boundaries of Cartmel and [[Colton, Lancashire]] parishes. Haverthwaite village proper was in Colton parish, and the (district) chapelry crossed into both Colton and Cartmel parishes, Lancashire.
+
Haverthwaite St Anne was created a chapelry in 1826, lying within the boundaries of Cartmel and [[Colton, Lancashire]] parishes. Haverthwaite village proper was in Colton parish, and the (district) chapelry crossed into both Colton and Cartmel parishes, Lancashire.  
  
 
Haverthwaite is a small village since 1974 in the Furness region of Cumbria (historically Lancashire). It is also within the boundaries of the Lake District National Park. It is located several miles east of Ulverston and is near the southern end of Windermere. The village gets part of its name from the Old Norse word thwaite which usually refers to a clearing or settlement in the forest.<br>
 
Haverthwaite is a small village since 1974 in the Furness region of Cumbria (historically Lancashire). It is also within the boundaries of the Lake District National Park. It is located several miles east of Ulverston and is near the southern end of Windermere. The village gets part of its name from the Old Norse word thwaite which usually refers to a clearing or settlement in the forest.<br>
Line 15: Line 15:
 
The vicarage was demolished in the 1970s to make way for the new route of the A590. St Anne's Church was originally a chapel under Colton; it was consecrated in 1825 and extended in 1838. When it was built, it received a grant on condition that 200 sittings were to be 'free and unappropriated for ever'. the modern parish is in the Diocese of Carlisle.<br><br>
 
The vicarage was demolished in the 1970s to make way for the new route of the A590. St Anne's Church was originally a chapel under Colton; it was consecrated in 1825 and extended in 1838. When it was built, it received a grant on condition that 200 sittings were to be 'free and unappropriated for ever'. the modern parish is in the Diocese of Carlisle.<br><br>
  
"HAVERTHWAITE, a district chapelry, in the parish of Coulton, union of Ulverston, hundred of Lonsdale north of the Sands, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 5 miles (N. E.) from Ulverston. The village is situated a short distance north of the river Leven, and on the road from Ulverston to Kendal. At Backbarrow, in the chapelry, are cotton-works employing about 340 persons, and at Low-Wood are powderworks in which upwards of 60 are engaged; there are also small iron-works, and works for the preparation of acids, and stone-quarries are numerous, the material of which is used principally for building. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £52; patron, the Incumbent of Coulton. The chapel is a neat and commodious building, erected in ''1826''. The grammar school at Brow-Edge has an income of about £80."
+
"HAVERTHWAITE, '''a district chapelry, '''''<b>in the parish of Coulton</b>'', union of Ulverston, hundred of Lonsdale north of the Sands, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 5 miles northeast&nbsp;of Ulverston. The chapel was&nbsp;erected in ''1826''".<ref>''[[A Topographical Dictionary of England]]'' by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 447-450. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51016 Adapted. Date accessed: 01 July 2010.</ref>
 
+
From: ''[[A Topographical Dictionary of England]]'' by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 447-450. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51016 Date accessed: 01 July 2010.
+
  
 
== Resources  ==
 
== Resources  ==
Line 27: Line 25:
 
==== Lancashire Online Parish Clerks  ====
 
==== Lancashire Online Parish Clerks  ====
  
An extremely useful resource for research in Lancashire Parishes http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/<br>  
+
An extremely useful resource for research in Lancashire Parishes http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/<br>
  
<br>  
+
<br>
  
 
==== Church records  ====
 
==== Church records  ====
Line 37: Line 35:
 
==== Census records  ====
 
==== Census records  ====
  
{{Expand section|any unique information, such as ''the census for X year was destroyed''}}
+
{{Expand section|any unique information, such as ''the census for X year was destroyed''}}  
  
 
http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census  
 
http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census  
  
==== Poor Law Unions<br> ====
+
==== Poor Law Unions<br> ====
  
 
[[Ulverston Poor Law Union,Lancashire]]  
 
[[Ulverston Poor Law Union,Lancashire]]  
  
==== Probate records<br> ====
+
==== Probate records<br> ====
  
 
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to [[Lancashire Probate Records|Lancashire Probate Records]] to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.  
 
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to [[Lancashire Probate Records|Lancashire Probate Records]] to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.  
  
== Maps and Gazetteers<br> ==
+
== Maps and Gazetteers<br> ==
  
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.<br>  
+
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.<br>
  
 
*[http://maps.familysearch.org/ England Jurisdictions 1851]  
 
*[http://maps.familysearch.org/ England Jurisdictions 1851]  
Line 60: Line 58:
 
Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.  
 
Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.  
  
<br>  
+
== Reference<br> ==
 +
 
 +
{{Reflist}}
  
 
[[Category:Lancashire]]
 
[[Category:Lancashire]]

Revision as of 22:12, 8 March 2012

England Gotoarrow.png Lancashire Gotoarrow.png Lancashire Parishes

Haverthwaite St Anne contributor Alexander P Kapp.jpg

Contents

Chapelry History

Haverthwaite St Anne was created a chapelry in 1826, lying within the boundaries of Cartmel and Colton, Lancashire parishes. Haverthwaite village proper was in Colton parish, and the (district) chapelry crossed into both Colton and Cartmel parishes, Lancashire.

Haverthwaite is a small village since 1974 in the Furness region of Cumbria (historically Lancashire). It is also within the boundaries of the Lake District National Park. It is located several miles east of Ulverston and is near the southern end of Windermere. The village gets part of its name from the Old Norse word thwaite which usually refers to a clearing or settlement in the forest.

In the 18th century there were two iron furnaces near the village, one at Backbarrow and the other at Low Wood. The furnace at Backbarrow was supplied from 1711 with iron ore from Low Furness which would have arrived at the quays in Haverthwaite and been transported to Backbarrow by horse and cart. In 1860 the Furness Railway opened its branch line that ran from Ulverston to Lakeside and almost overnight the quays fell into disuse.

In 1798 a gunpowder works, Low Wood, was established and continued production until 1935. The nearby river Leven was used to transport the finished product.

The vicarage was demolished in the 1970s to make way for the new route of the A590. St Anne's Church was originally a chapel under Colton; it was consecrated in 1825 and extended in 1838. When it was built, it received a grant on condition that 200 sittings were to be 'free and unappropriated for ever'. the modern parish is in the Diocese of Carlisle.

"HAVERTHWAITE, a district chapelry, in the parish of Coulton, union of Ulverston, hundred of Lonsdale north of the Sands, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 5 miles northeast of Ulverston. The chapel was erected in 1826".[1]

Resources

Civil Registration

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

Lancashire Online Parish Clerks

An extremely useful resource for research in Lancashire Parishes http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/


Church records

Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection

Census records

http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census

Poor Law Unions

Ulverston Poor Law Union,Lancashire

Probate records

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Maps and Gazetteers

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Web sites

Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.

Reference

  1. A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 447-450. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51016 Adapted. Date accessed: 01 July 2010.