Help:Contributor HelpEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Getting Started as a New Contributor
The following will help you get started (click the links to learn more about each item):
- Register for an account (you may already have one if you use other FamilySearch.org or LDS.org web sites)
- Take the Wiki Tour or visit a New Wiki Contributors Training Meeting to learn more about ways you can contribute
- Edit your first page by:
- Sharing something you know about where you live
- Adding information about a place you are currently researching
- Joining an ongoing project
(The links below will help you get started)
- Edit your user page to tell others a little about yourself.
The Family Search Wiki is a collaborative community effort. Your contributions are welcome on every page.
Getting Started - Wiki Lessons
These lessons belong to a course about the wiki and each contains:
- A basic explanation of how to perform a task.
- A video demonstration (the same demonstrations listed in the Video Demonstrations section below)
- Practice exercises
- Handouts with step-by-step instructions and pictures
- Check Your Learning quizzes
Click a link below to view the lesson, or view the entire course here.
- Wiki Overview
- Searching for and Creating Articles
- Editing Articles
- Adding Links and Citations
- Inserting Images and Using Templates
- Watching Articles and Using History
Getting Started - Video Demonstrations
Review individual contributor videos:
- Editing a Wiki Article
- Adding Links
- Adding Images
- Adding Citations
- Creating a Wiki Article
- Watching Wiki Articles
- Using Templates
- Webinar: Leveraging the Power of We: a Watershed Event in Discovering Where to Find Your Ancestors by FamilySearch's Michael Ritchey
Getting Started - Contributor Help Articles
- Basic editing (see demo)
- Basic: Copy and paste into a wiki page
- Help: The Editing Tool
- Simple edits you can make
- Basic Wikitext
Creating and Naming Pages
Join the Community
- Community Meetings - Learn about all the meetings currently going on around the Wiki.
Intermediate/Advanced - Help Articles
- Advanced editing
- Advanced editing with Wikitext
- Advanced: Copy documents into the wiki
- Uploading images (for Reviewers and Moderators)
- How to categorize pages (see last part of this demo)
- Guided practice for adding categories
- Advanced categorization
- Browse existing categories
Naming, Renaming, and Redirecting Pages
- Renaming a page (see last part of this demo)
- Redirecting a page
- Adding a page to the correct namespace
- Creating an un-portal page
- Splitting articles
- Research - Ask your general or specific research questions of Family Search genealogists.
- Contributor Help - This is where you can ask "how to" questions you cannot find answers for.
- Contributor's Corner - Participate in Wiki decision making, vote in polls concerning policy, format and other issues, and discuss relevant topics.
- Feedback and Suggestions - Have a great suggestion to help make the Wiki better ? Want to give feedback on the Wiki operation, governance or design ? This is the place to do it.