Help:Create a page not linked from an existing pageEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Quick Reference: Search for the title of the page you want to create. At the top of the search results page, the title will appear in red. Click on the red title to begin editing the new page.
What will this article help me do?
This help article will instruct you on how to create a new article. Before creating a new article, make sure that a similar article does not exist that you can edit or improve. This will make it easier for users to find similar information in the same location.
New articles may be created directly in an existing article. This saves the step of creating a link to another page, however, by searching for the article title first, this helps avoid duplicate articles.
How to create a new article
- Log in to the FamilySearch Research Wiki
- Write down the title of the article you want to create. If you are writing an article about Census records, consider that this topic applies to many localities in many countries. For example, instead of using a title, "Census records," a better choice would be "Kentucky Census records." Also, if the records only pertain to a specific time period, include the time period in the article title.
- In the search box, type the title of the article you want to create. Make sure you type the title in exactly as you want it to appear, including capital letters, spelling, and punctuation.
- After typing the new title into the search box, click on "Search."
- After clicking "Search," a list of search results will appear.
- In the search results page, look at close matches, if any, to determine if the article you want to write already exists. If a similar article already exists, consider editing or adding to that article rather than creating a new article.
- If "No page title matches" were found, or if there are no close matches covering the topic, then locate the title you searched for shown in red text at the top of the page.
- Click on the red text title at the top of the page. This will open the edit window. For example: If you searched for "Protestants in Ireland," you would click on the words "Protestants in Ireland" shown in red on the page. After clicking on those words, an empty editing window would open for the new page titled "Protestants in Ireland."
- In the editing window, the title at the top of the page is listed after the word "Editing." For example, "Editing Protestants in Ireland."
- Add the desired text in the editing window.
- Click on the "Save page" button after editing the page. After clicking "Save page," the new page has been created. In addition to creating a new page, you should also link related pages to the new article, categorize the new article, or learn how to edit an existing article.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News