Help:Creating a society pageEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Family history or genealogical societies are mentioned in many articles throughout the FamilySearch Research Wiki. Societies can join one of the largest genealogical Wikis in the world by creating a page for your society that includes a snapshot of the benefits and activities of your society:
Benefits to your society
- Post info on upcoming meetings and activities
- Post presentations and handouts from your meetings
- Promote seminars, conferences, and training events
- Use the Wiki to connect projects your society needs done
- Link to the wiki pages your society has adopted
- Publish on-line newsletters
- Increase your membership
- Take advantage of the Wiki to reach a broader audience
- Drive traffic to your website
Benefits to your members:
- Link to members’ personal Wiki pages or personal genealogical websites
- Lists members on the Wiki by locality focus, ethnic focus, residence, projects
- Learn what’s new in data sets, software, and record collections pertaining to your area
- Post announcements about achievements of your members and recognize them
- Involve society members by involving them in the Wiki
Benefits to your society officers:
- Communication function: new publications, new resources, new databases
- Post back issues of your society newsletters so that you do not have to store them
- Add answers to commonly asked genealogical questions
- Save the cost of hiring a webmaster and the maintenance costs
Ready to create a society page? It's easy...
- Once your organization has decided to create a society page in the wiki, add your interest to the FamilySearch Forum thread: ...forum thread link will be added here.
- Once we receive all of the information related to your society page, volunteers will be working to complete your request. You can expect your society page to be ready for your use within 72 hours!
Prefer to do it yourself? Follow these instructions
- Use the template created specifically for creating a society page.
- Add details to the sections in the template, create new sections if needed, or delete those not applicable for your society.
- Add the information box to the society page, including a society logo if desired.
- Note: links to the templates will be added on 18 Aug 2010
Review the following pages to see what a society page might look like. (Note that the pages are in various stages of creation as of 18 Aug 2010):
- Dorset Family History Society
- Daughters of Utah Pioneers
- Arizona State Genealogical Society
- Benjamin Franklin Johnson Family Organization