Help:Wiki BasicsEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 20:12, 1 September 2011 by Evancol
- Welcome to the Wiki community. Whether you are researching or contributing, the items below will help you get started.
- On the left side of the page, you may see a purple navigation box with a Table of Contents in it. You can click on any heading in that table and be taken to that heading on the page.
- On the right side of every page, you will see a purple navigation menu. The Toolbox, Community and Personal Tools boxes expand by clicking on the small arros on the right side of the name.
Registering on the Wiki
- You do not need to be registered to look at any Wiki article. However, if you want to add information, or ask a question, you must register. If you are signed in the Wiki, it will timeout after 2 hours idle.
Setting Your Preferences
- You can customize your Wiki experience using your Personal Tools.
- The User Page is where you have the opportunity to share information about yourself, or your research interests. This is a great way to get to know a little about a contributor to an article, or even find someone with the same interests. It also gives other users a way to communicate with you.
Watching a Page
- If you are researching in a specific area, or have a page that interests you, you may want to "Watch" that page. If you are watching a page, you will be notified any time that page is edited. This is a great way to keep up with the latest information available.
- This feature allows you to determine how you are notified when there are changes to pages you are watching.
- All Wiki articles will have an associated Discussion Page that you can access via a tab at the top left of your page. This page is where you leave a comment or question about the content of that page.
- If you have a research question, or a question about editing the Wiki, ask it at the FamilySearch Forums. There are genealogists to help you with a research item, and very experienced Wiki users to help with an editing question.
- If you are ready to begin, you can choose one of the links below if you would like detailed instructions on the Wiki.
We want your opinion!
Give feedback on two US state pages by clicking on the purple button belowClick Here