Help:Wiki BasicsEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 00:50, 26 October 2011 by Klk3
- Welcome to the Wiki community. Whether you are researching or contributing, the items below will help you understand various elements of the wiki, including how to navigate and contribute to it. The wiki is a community project, and you are now part of that community. If you have knowledge about how or where to search for genealogy that is not already here, please contribute. Don't know how? Keep reading.
- On the left side of the page, you may see a purple navigation box entitled Contents. It is a list of the major sections of the page. You can click on any heading in that table and be taken to that heading on the page. Smaller articles do not have a contents box.
- On the right side of every page,there are three boxes which will enhance your Wiki experience. The top box, Search Learning & How-to's, is a search box. You can enter search terms in the box and then click on the magnifying glass to search the wiki. Or you can browse by clicking on by country or by topic.
- The second box, New to the Research Wiki, guides you to basic information on the Wiki. Click on the Learn More line.
- The bottom, purple box has four sections, seperated by a thin white line: Views, Toolbox, Community and Personal tools. Hover over anyplace on the bar with your mouse and it will turn dark purple. Click on the dark purple bar will open the section and reveal a number of tools and tasks. Hover over the name and a yellow pop-up box will display a brief explination of the topic. Click on the name to open the topic.
Registering on the Wiki
- You do not need to be registered to look at Wiki pages. If you want to add or edit information, however, or ask a question, you must be registered. This allows others of the wiki community to communicate with you.
- Once you are signed into the Wiki, it will timeout after 2 hours idle.
Setting Your Preferences
- You can customize your Wiki experience using your Personal Tools.
- The User Page is where you have the opportunity to share information about yourself, or your research interests. This is a great way to get to know a little about a contributor to an article, or even find someone with the same interests. It also gives other users a way to communicate with you.
Watching a Page
- If you are researching in a specific area, or have a page that interests you, you may want to "Watch" that page. If you are watching a page, you will be notified any time that page is edited. This is a great way to keep up with the latest information available.
- This feature allows you to determine how you are notified when there are changes to pages you are watching.
- All Wiki articles will have an associated Discussion Page that you can access via a tab at the top left of your page. This page is where you leave a comment or question about the content of that page.
- If you have a research question, or a question about editing the Wiki, ask it at the FamilySearch Forums. There are genealogists to help you with a research item, and very experienced Wiki users to help with an editing question.
- If you are ready to begin, and would like detailed instructions on adding or editing wiki content, choose one of the following links:
- If you need a Help article that doesn't currently exist, you may request one here.
- Once you get started editing in the Wiki, if you find you need additional help, or if you have a specific task you wish to accomplish, you may request a Mentor to work with you.