Help talk:How to Create an Un-Portal PageEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
I was going to be brave and try my hand at creating a no-portal page for Alabama, but it's not letting me create a page with just the name Alabama. I do a search for that name, and see the portal page plus others, but nothing called just Alabama. Whatever trick I try in searching does not result in a red Alabama for me to click on to create. Alabama is a 'live' link but it takes me to the Portal page. So I'm stymied in even getting to a page I can start converting into. Any guidelines on what I'm not doing right or strategies to fool the search would be appreciated. Laralee 22:11, 18 January 2010 (UTC)
- The Alabama page is currently a redirect to Portal:Alabama. The way the wiki is working at the moment you need to follow the Alabama link, it will display the portal page with the words (Redirected from Alabama) underneath the page title. If you then click the edit link you will be taken to edit the Alabama page. Once the redirect is removed, things will work more sensibly. --Steve 08:34, 19 January 2010 (UTC)
- Thanks! I think I've got Alabama done - what's the best way to notify a sysop to delete the portal page? Delete template? Laralee 06:25, 20 January 2010 (UTC)
Redirects and the delete template
I would like to suggest that when the un-portal page is done, that a redirect is NOT added to the old portal page. We currently have a bug in the wiki that makes it impossible to edit a page that has a redirect on the page. The problem is manifested when trying to delete the old portal page (with the redirect on the page as well). For example, if you click on the edit link while viewing a page with a redirect, the page that opens is the page that the redirect takes you to, not the edit page as intended. If anyone knows a way around this issue, please made note of it in the Forums Links to example pages where this issue can be viewed are in the Forum thread. --Fran 21:52, 28 January 2010 (UTC)
- I have added to the thread a workaround to this problem of not getting to edit the page you think you will get. --Steve 01:18, 29 January 2010 (UTC)
- This page was last modified on 8 June 2013, at 00:39.
- This page has been accessed 450 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More