Help talk:Name a new article
From FamilySearch Wiki
m (moved FamilySearch Wiki talk:Name a new article to Help talk:Name a new article: place with Help content)
Revision as of 16:06, 29 May 2011
I got a message from a user indicating that backets ( ) were not appropriate parts of a name. I didn't see anything here, so I was confused if it should be included in this hep page or not. I used it in specifying where a church was, as in Mount Pleasant Baptist Church (James City County, Virginia). Additionally, there is no mention of how place names should be constructed at all. Should this article be more detailed?Gregorybean 11:13, 3 October 2009 (UTC)
- I have added a new section to this article which I hope helps to set out the options available when naming article that can be ambiguous. In the case that you have set out, I believe valid options for the name of the article you mention to be:
- Mount Pleasant Baptist Church - likely to be more than one - therefore not suitable
- Mount Pleasant Baptist Church, Virginia - suitable, unless there are more than one Mount Pleasant Baptist Church in Virginia.
- Mount Pleasant Baptist Church, Williamsburg - suitable, unless there are more than one Williamsburg.
- Mount Pleasant Baptist Church, Williamsburg, Virginia - suitable, unless there are more than one Williamsburg's in Virginia.
- Mount Pleasant Baptist Church, James City County - suitable, unless there are more than one James City County.
- Mount Pleasant Baptist Church, James City County, Virginia - suitable, but long. I would personally choose a better title that is shorter.
- Mount Pleasant Baptist Church, Williamsburg, James City County, Virginia - too long - not suitable, particularly as there are other shorter options.
- --Steve 13:07, 3 October 2009 (UTC)
- That is wonderful. Thank you for the clarification. The only difficulty I see is lack of clarity. It is easier to identify places, like cemeteries, if more general jurisdictions, like Virginia, are tacked onto the end of the page name. In the end do we sacrifice clarity for brevity? Gregorybean 13:59, 3 October 2009 (UTC)
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News