Help talk:Name a new articleEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
I got a message from a user indicating that backets ( ) were not appropriate parts of a name. I didn't see anything here, so I was confused if it should be included in this hep page or not. I used it in specifying where a church was, as in Mount Pleasant Baptist Church (James City County, Virginia). Additionally, there is no mention of how place names should be constructed at all. Should this article be more detailed?Gregorybean 11:13, 3 October 2009 (UTC)
- I have added a new section to this article which I hope helps to set out the options available when naming article that can be ambiguous. In the case that you have set out, I believe valid options for the name of the article you mention to be:
- Mount Pleasant Baptist Church - likely to be more than one - therefore not suitable
- Mount Pleasant Baptist Church, Virginia - suitable, unless there are more than one Mount Pleasant Baptist Church in Virginia.
- Mount Pleasant Baptist Church, Williamsburg - suitable, unless there are more than one Williamsburg.
- Mount Pleasant Baptist Church, Williamsburg, Virginia - suitable, unless there are more than one Williamsburg's in Virginia.
- Mount Pleasant Baptist Church, James City County - suitable, unless there are more than one James City County.
- Mount Pleasant Baptist Church, James City County, Virginia - suitable, but long. I would personally choose a better title that is shorter.
- Mount Pleasant Baptist Church, Williamsburg, James City County, Virginia - too long - not suitable, particularly as there are other shorter options.
- --Steve 13:07, 3 October 2009 (UTC)
- That is wonderful. Thank you for the clarification. The only difficulty I see is lack of clarity. It is easier to identify places, like cemeteries, if more general jurisdictions, like Virginia, are tacked onto the end of the page name. In the end do we sacrifice clarity for brevity? Gregorybean 13:59, 3 October 2009 (UTC)
Incorporating content from the MOS
I would like to take the bulk of the content from the Manual of Style section entitled Naming and incorporate it into this article. This includes the subheadings "capitalization of article titles" and "place names". Overlapping content could/should be removed. A basic explanation of article naming should go in the MOS, directing readers here for specifics. Lise 15:21, 27 February 2012 (UTC)
- I support your idea Lise, to move the bulk of the content about naming articles out from the Manual of Style leaving a summary with links to the detail. This article and FamilySearch Wiki:Naming conventions should be where the detail is explained. This help page should be written to help the contributor to apply the guideline which can be set out in details, in a functional/technical way in the FamilySearch Wiki article. So in the end you would have a summary in the MOS, a detailed technical note in the FamilySearch Wiki namespace with a user friendly guide to apply the style in the Help namespace. --Steve 17:15, 28 February 2012 (UTC)