Heveningham, Suffolk GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Poor Law Union||Blything PLU|
|Rural Deanery||South Dunwich|
Heveningham is a parish and village, situated on the river Blyth, 5 miles south-west-by-west from Halesworth station, in the Eastern division of the county, Blything hundred and union, Halesworth county court district, rural deanery of North Dunwich, archdeaconry of Suffolk, and Norwich diocese. The church of St. Margaret is an ancient building, restored in 1866-67……… The Post Office Directory of Cambridge, Norfolk and Suffolk 1875 (page819)
- Heveningham in the Family History Library Catalog
Census, Civil Registration, Parish Records
- There are census records available for Heveningham from 1841 to 1911. Census records are available on a variety of subscription and other websites. If you need to consult the 1841 to 1891 census on microfilm, refer to Heveningham Censusin the catalogue. There is statistical data available for the census years 1801 to 1931 that records the number of houses, families, people, and other statistical data for every parish in Suffolk. Refer to the Suffolk Census wiki article for details about the Census.
- Heveningham is in Blything district. To search an index of Blything district records go to FreeBMD. The Suffolk Civil Registration article tells more about these records.
- The Parish Registers begin in 1539. They can be view at the Suffolk Record Office. A copy of the registers from 1539 to 1900 can be purchased from the Suffolk Record Office. For pre 1813 Bishop Transcript entries you will need to look in Dunwich Deanry, Archdeaconry of Suffolk. Parish Chest records are lacking for Heveningham. See Suffolk Church Record for further details.
Prior to 1858 the primary court that had jurisdiction over Hoxne was the Archdeaconry of Suffolk; however, a person’s will or administration may have been probated in nearby courts or even in London. After 1858 it was in Ipswich District. Refer to the Suffolk Probate Records article for further details.
Directories and Gazetteers
- Suffolk Gazetteers and Directories from 1839 to 1909 - Suffolk Gazetteers and directories provide a brief history and description of each parish and lists principal residents. They mention the farmers and tradesman in each parish and the nearest market towns among other items.
- National Gazetteers provide a brief description of each place
- HEVENINGHAM (St. Margaret), a parish, in the union and hundred of Blything, E. division of Suffolk, 5 miles (N. W. by W.) from Yoxford. 
- England Jurisdictions 1851 maps - see parish in context with surrounding parishes also determine various ecclesiastical and civil jurisdictions for this parish
- Heveningham on Google maps - see lay of the land as it is today
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News