Highland County, Virginia GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The county takes its name from its elevation in the Appalachian Mountains.
The Genealogy Center at Allen County Public Library (Indiana) has a number of searchable databases of Highland County cemeteries:
1890 Union Veterans
- Turner, Ronald Ray. Virginia's Union Veterans: Eleventh Census of the United States 1890. Available online, courtesy: Prince William County Virginia website. [Includes residents of this county.]
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- [Arbogast] Arbogast: Family Genealogy. Records, Clark County Genealogical Society, Marshall, Ill. FHL US/CAN Film 1305153 Item 6.
- [Bodkin] Botkin, Gerald N. and Paul W. Botkin. Botkin Family in America. Typescript, 1972. FHL US/CAN Film 982106 Item 5.
- [Calhoun] Calhoun, Garry L. Calhoun. Typescript. FHL US/CAN Film 1206299 Item 13.
- [Douglas] Swiger, Elizabeth Davis, Edward E. Morton and Ronald V. Hardway. History and Family Record of the Morton Family of Webster County, West Virginia: The Continuing Story. Grafton, W. Va.: Mountain Heritage Genealogy Society, 1984. FHL FAM HIST Book 929.273 M846s.
- [Givens] Parr, Perry Louis. Givens Family Genealogy. MSS., FHL 982306.
- [Holl] See Hull.
- [Hull] Hull, Eugene F. Three Hull Brothers. n.p.: E.F. Hull, 1986. FHL FAM HIST Book 929.273 H877he.
- [Morton] Morton, Edward E. Family Record and History of the Morton Family: of Webster County, West Virginia. [Fairmont, W. Va.]: E.D. Swiger, 1960. FHL FAM HIST Book 929.273 A1 no. 1507.
- [Morton] Swiger, Elizabeth Davis, Edward E. Morton and Ronald V. Hardway. History and Family Record of the Morton Family of Webster County, West Virginia: The Continuing Story. Grafton, W. Va.: Mountain Heritage Genealogy Society, 1984. FHL FAM HIST Book 929.273 M846s.
- [Morton] Swiger, Elizabeth Davis and Edward E. Morton. History of the Morton Family of Webster County, West Virginia, Supplement Three. Fairmount, W. Va.: E.D. Swiger, 1988. FHL FAM HIST Book 929.273 M846s supp. 3.
- [Slavin] Slaven, F.L. The Descendents of John Slaven from Tyrone County, Ireland and Elizabeth Stuart from Scotland. New Orleans, La.: F.L. Slaven, 196-?. FHL US/CAN Film 1307569 Item 2.
- [Slavin] Slavens, Thomas H. The Descendants of John Slavin from County Tyrone, Ireland. Typescript, National Library of the Daughters of the American Revolution, Washington, D.C. FHL US/CAN Film 875379 Item 6.
- [Slavin] Slavens-Slaven-Slavin and Allied Families, ca. 1723-1941. MSS., Family Records Collection, Barrett Memorial Library, Petersburg, Ind.: Slav. FHL 1451835 Item 1.
- [Stevenson] Hammond, Howard Revercomb and Milton Rubincam. Revercomb Family Papers. 1969. FHL FAM HIST Book 929.273 R323r; digital version at BYU Family History Archives.
- [Weybright] Weybright, Jessie P. Genealogy of Martin Weybrecht, Bavaria 1689 - Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, 1732: Weybright, Waybright, also Martin Weybright, Highland County, Virginia, 1800. FHL US/CAN Film 1036852 Item 4.
- [Wimer] Hinkle, Don Philip. Weimer Genealogical Center (Albuquerque, N.M.). The Wimer Family #189. 2 vols. Albuquerque, N.M.: Weimer Genealogical Center, 1992. FHL US/CAN Film 2055537 Items 1-2.
- [Zigenfuss] Zickefoose, Larry C., Clayton H. Sigerfoos, and W.J. Sickafus. From Zigenfuss to Zickefoose, 1739-1990. Baltimore, Md.: Gateway Press, 1990. FHL FAM HIST Book 929.273 Z61z.
- Morton, Oren Frederic. A Handbook of Highland County and a Supplement to Pendleton and Highland History. Monterey, Va.: Highland Recorder, 1922. Available at FHL; digital version at Ancestry ($).
- Morton, Oren Frederic. A History of Highland County, Virginia. Monterey, Va.: Morton, c1911. Original edition available at FHL; 1979 reprint with index available at FHL; digital version of original edition at Ancestry ($); and World Vital Records ($).
- Hamilton, Clay. "Genealogical Research in Highland County," The Virginia Genealogical Society Newsletter, Vol. 29, No. 3 (June 2003):1-2. Available at FHL; digital version at Virginia Genealogical Society website.
- Fridley, Beth, comp. Highland County Virginia Birth Records, 1853-1896 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2001. Available at Ancestry ($).
Societies and Libraries
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News