History of the Churches in Stockholm City

From FamilySearch Wiki

(Difference between revisions)
(Created page with 'Back to Stockholm Portal Page► ==General History== ==Timeline== ===1200 - 1300=== There was a village church called Nicolai (built around 1250) that was…')
 
Line 25: Line 25:
 
The population of Stockholm in 1630 is estimated to have been 9,000 maximum. Stockholm became independent in 1634 under a Governor. At that time the city districts (malms) lacked proper street systems and structured settlements. The earliest dates for birth, marriage or death records in preserved parish registers are listed in the first column below and the second column refers to the first year for household examination rolls.<br>
 
The population of Stockholm in 1630 is estimated to have been 9,000 maximum. Stockholm became independent in 1634 under a Governor. At that time the city districts (malms) lacked proper street systems and structured settlements. The earliest dates for birth, marriage or death records in preserved parish registers are listed in the first column below and the second column refers to the first year for household examination rolls.<br>
  
{| class="FCK__ShowTableBorders" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="1" width="80%" border="0"
+
{| class="FCK__ShowTableBorders" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="1" width="100%" border="0"
 
|-
 
|-
| class="xl25" | '''Danish'''  
+
| class="xl25" | '''Parish'''  
| class="xl25" | '''English'''
+
| class="xl25" | '''Years'''
 
|-
 
|-
|Sankt Nikolai||1546 - 1667
+
|Sankt Nikolai
|Riddarholmen||1636 - 1689
+
|1546 - 1667
|Sankt Gertrud (German)||1639 -  
+
|-
|Jakob||1643 - 1672
+
|Riddarholmen
|Johannes (removed from Jacob)||1643 - 1672
+
|1636 - 1689
|Hovförsamlingen||1648 - 1692
+
|-
 +
|Sankt Gertrud (German)
 +
|1639 -  
 +
|-
 +
|Jakob
 +
|1643 - 1672
 +
|-
 +
|Johannes (removed from Jacob)
 +
|1643 - 1672
 +
|-
 +
|Hovförsamlingen
 +
|1648 - 1692
 
|  
 
|  
 
|}
 
|}

Revision as of 15:36, 21 April 2010

Back to Stockholm Portal Page

Contents

General History

Timeline

1200 - 1300

There was a village church called Nicolai (built around 1250) that was built on to several times and is now known as Storkyrkan (Stockholm Cathedral). There were rows of chapels around the main nave that had their own priests who were supported by private individuals or various guilds. In addition to the most important chapels, Själakorset and Helga lekamen, there were at the end of the Middle Ages about 30 chapels or altars in the Stockholm area.

On Magnus III´s initiative, the Franciscans (the Gray Friars) built an abbey on Riddarholmen, of which the church is still standing. The establishment for the nuns under the Poor Lady of Clare´s (the Franciscan Order's female branch), built in the 1280´s, also on the initiative of Magnus Eriksson, was situated slightly south of Klara kyrka (The Church of Saint Clare), which was rebuilt during the reign of Johan III.

1301 - 1400

In 1336 Magnus Eriksson bestowed a plot of land in the southern part of the city on the Dominicans (the Black Friars), together with funds to build the abbey that was consecrated in 1344. The church is no longer there, and only a few basement ruins remain of the monastery that was situated above Järntorget. It is this abbey that gave its name to the street Svartmannagatan, which used to lead down to the abbey.

1401 - 1500

1501 - 1600

The Knightly Order of Saint John, in actual fact a branch of the main abbey in Eskilstuna, settled in the 1330's on the northwestern part of Helgeandsholmen. Due to defense logistics, they relocated to an empty plot between present day Johannesgränd and Pelikansgränd, where they in 1514 consecrated S:t Johannes kyrka (The Chapel of St. John), which was demolished after the reformation.

S:t Görans spetälskekoloni (The Leprosy Colony of St. George) also had a chapel.


During the reign of King Johan III (1537-92) Klara kyrka (The Church of Saint Clare) was the first one to be constructed in 1577-90, followed by Jakobs kyrka (The Church of Saint Jacob) in 1588-92. Construction started for Maria Magdalenas kyrka (The Church of Saint Mary Magdalene) in 1588.

1601 - 1700

The population of Stockholm in 1630 is estimated to have been 9,000 maximum. Stockholm became independent in 1634 under a Governor. At that time the city districts (malms) lacked proper street systems and structured settlements. The earliest dates for birth, marriage or death records in preserved parish registers are listed in the first column below and the second column refers to the first year for household examination rolls.

Parish Years
Sankt Nikolai 1546 - 1667
Riddarholmen 1636 - 1689
Sankt Gertrud (German) 1639 -
Jakob 1643 - 1672
Johannes (removed from Jacob) 1643 - 1672
Hovförsamlingen 1648 - 1692

1701 - 1800

1801 - 1900

1901 - 2000