History of the Churches in Stockholm CityEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Back to Stockholm Portal Page►
1200 - 1300
There was a village church called Nicolai (built around 1250) that was built on to several times and is now known as Storkyrkan (Stockholm Cathedral). There were rows of chapels around the main nave that had their own priests who were supported by private individuals or various guilds. In addition to the most important chapels, Själakorset and Helga lekamen, there were at the end of the Middle Ages about 30 chapels or altars in the Stockholm area.
On Magnus III´s initiative, the Franciscans (the Gray Friars) built an abbey on Riddarholmen, of which the church is still standing. The establishment for the nuns under the Poor Lady of Clare´s (the Franciscan Order's female branch), built in the 1280´s, also on the initiative of Magnus Eriksson, was situated slightly south of Klara kyrka (The Church of Saint Clare), which was rebuilt during the reign of Johan III.
1301 - 1400
In 1336 Magnus Eriksson bestowed a plot of land in the southern part of the city on the Dominicans (the Black Friars), together with funds to build the abbey that was consecrated in 1344. The church is no longer there, and only a few basement ruins remain of the monastery that was situated above Järntorget. It is this abbey that gave its name to the street Svartmannagatan, which used to lead down to the abbey.
1401 - 1500
1501 - 1600
The Knightly Order of Saint John, in actual fact a branch of the main abbey in Eskilstuna, settled in the 1330's on the northwestern part of Helgeandsholmen. Due to defense logistics, they relocated to an empty plot between present day Johannesgränd and Pelikansgränd, where they in 1514 consecrated S:t Johannes kyrka (The Chapel of St. John), which was demolished after the reformation.
S:t Görans spetälskekoloni (The Leprosy Colony of St. George) also had a chapel.
In 1558, Gustav Vasa gave the Germans in Stockholm the right to hold their own church services. In 1571 they were given permission to build their own church and set up a cemetery. They and Finska församlingen (the Finnish Church) shared the guild hall of S:ta Gertrud (The Church of Saint Gertrude), a church from the Middle Ages, until 1607.
Finska församlingen was established in 1533 and was given worship premises in Svartbrödraklostret (The Abbey of the Black Friars). After the abbey was demolished in 1547, services were held in various places. The City Archives has published a DVD titled Finnar i Stadsarkivet (Finns in the City Archives).
During the reign of King Johan III (1537-92) Klara kyrka (The Church of Saint Clare) was the first one to be constructed in 1577-90, followed by Jakobs kyrka (The Church of Saint Jacob) in 1588-92. Construction started for Maria Magdalenas kyrka (The Church of Saint Mary Magdalene) in 1588.
1601 - 1700
The population of Stockholm in 1630 is estimated to have been 9,000 maximum. Stockholm became independent in 1634 under a Governor. At that time the city districts (malms) lacked proper street systems and structured settlements. The earliest dates for birth, marriage or death records in preserved parish registers are listed in the first column below and the second column refers to the first year for household examination rolls.
In 1656, Katarina kyrka (The Church of Catherine) was built. The parish was founded in 1654 when the parish of Maria Magdalena was split. Kungsholmen’s Parish was originally a part of Solna Parish, but became its own in 1671. Klara Parish originally covered all of Norrmalm, but was in 1643 divided up into Jakob and Klara Parishes. In 1671 Kungsholmen was separated out. Svea livgardet (Guards) originated out of Gustav Vasa’s guards. In 1655 the guards were organized with both cavalry and footmen. The guards were lost at the battle of Poltava on June 28, 1709, but were reinstated by and by. During the Middle Ages, abbeys and chapels were used as care centers for needy children. In 1633, Barnhuset, a public care institution for poor father- and motherless children was established.
|Parish||Earliest Birth, Marriage or Death||Husförhör Begins|
|Sankt Gertrud (German)||1639||--|
|Johannes (removed from Jacob)||1643||1672|
|Fransk-Lutherska [French Lutheran]||1690||--|
|Svea Livgardes södra bataljon||1694||1735|
|Svea Livgardets norra bataljon||1697||1772|
The population in 1676 is estimated to have been 42,000-43,000. Spånga Parish joined Stockholm on Jan 1, 1949. By royal decree in 1672, Amiralitetsförsamlingen (for employees in the navy, now Skeppsholmen) became a territorial parish that covered all of Ladugårdslandet under the inspection of the vicar of St. Jakob. Church services were held in the old Ladugårdskyrkan until 1680, when they moved to the church on Kyrkholmen, where Nationalmuseum (the National Museum) is situated today, until 1822.