Hoghton, Lancashire

From FamilySearch Wiki

(Difference between revisions)
Line 17: Line 17:
 
<br>
 
<br>
  
"HOGHTON,'''a chapelry''', '''''in the parish'''''and hundred '''''of Leyland''''', union of Chorley, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 5½ miles (S. E. by E.) from Preston.&nbsp;The chapel, dedicated to the '''Holy Trinity''', and now a district church,&nbsp;in ''1828''."<ref>''[[A Topographical Dictionary of England]]'' by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 524-527. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51036 Date accessed: 01 July 2010.</ref>  
+
"HOGHTON, '''a chapelry''', '''''in the parish&nbsp;'''''and hundred '''''of Leyland''''', union of Chorley, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 5½ miles southeast by east&nbsp;or&nbsp;Preston.&nbsp;The chapel, dedicated to the '''Holy Trinity''' and was erected by 1781, became&nbsp;a district church&nbsp;in ''1828''."<ref>''[[A Topographical Dictionary of England]]'' by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 524-527. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51036 Date accessed: 01 July 2010.</ref>
  
 
== Resources  ==
 
== Resources  ==

Revision as of 23:48, 8 March 2012

England Gotoarrow.png Lancashire Gotoarrow.png Lancashire Parishes

Holy Trinity Parish Church, Hoghton Lancashire.jpg

Contents

Chapelry History

Hoghton Holy Trinity was created a chapel of ease by 1781, lying within the boundaries of Leyland, Lancashire  Ancient Parish.

Hoghton is a small village and civil parish of the Borough of Chorley in Lancashire, England. According to the United Kingdom Census 2001 it has a population of 867.[1] Hoghton is part of the Brindle and Hoghton ward which also includes the parish of Brindle.

In the village is Hoghton Tower, a fortified manor house and ancestral home of the De Hoghton family since the 12th century.

Also within the parish are the hamlets of Riley Green and Hoghton Bottoms. The villages of Gregson Lane and Coupe Green are sometimes described as in Hoghton, although they are outside the parish, forming the ward of Coupe Green and Gregson Lane in South Ribble district.

The Diocese of Blackburn is a Church of England diocese, covering much of Lancashire, created in 1926 from part of the Diocese of Manchester. The Diocese includes the towns of Blackburn, Blackpool, Burnley, and the cities of Lancaster, and Preston, as well as a large part of the Ribble Valley.


"HOGHTON, a chapelry, in the parish and hundred of Leyland, union of Chorley, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 5½ miles southeast by east or Preston. The chapel, dedicated to the Holy Trinity and was erected by 1781, became a district church in 1828."[1]

Resources

Civil Registration

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths Lancashire BMD

Lancashire Online Parish Clerks

An extremely useful resource for research in Lancashire Parishes http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/


Church records

Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection

Census records

Index for the Census may be searched at FamilySearch Historical Records

http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census

Poor Law Unions

Chorley Poor Law Union, Lancashire

Probate records

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Maps and Gazetteers

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Web sites

Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.

Reference

  1. A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 524-527. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51036 Date accessed: 01 July 2010.